Should El-Abd be captain ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The only changes we need to make are in midfield and attack ... the problem in midfield is that we have too many players of the same mould ( defensive) where is our attacking man

Exactly this. The defense is sound, no need to make any changes! It's the central midfield and our strike force we need to get right (desperately) We should have lost about 4 or 5 nil today and was only a solid defense and Kuszak that prevented us from getting completely shown up!

Just look at the way Blackpool were coming forward today! We don't resemble anything close to that at the moment, which is a shame because we probably have the best defense in the division and would be a serious force if we could attack properly!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Only if el Abd asserted his desire to Captain the side.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the best candidate is someone who doesn't want the job.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Completely agree! Either El-Abd or the return to captain marvel himself! Unfortunately for Greer he is being found out and El-Abd (or Crofty) would be a fantastic option.

Unfortunately, when looking at the prospective outcome, the dressing room politics comes into play. Greer is a player tat may not take the decision lightly, one bit. It'll be split with pro-Greer and pro-(insert new captain name). Which could inevitbaly be turmoil to our season.

The only way this is going to happen is that Greer gets injured, incomes a wonderful partnership of Dunk and El-Abd and the leadership of El-Abd/Crofty. Gus will then consult with Greer and Greer may well agree and be the mature player with his head up high knowing that his playing days are numbered.

I did wonder about this problem when first Crofts and then Hammond were brought back - wasn't Hammond captain before? But of course he's only on loan.

I think Crofts with his experience of playing at Premiership level would make a better captain, if Greer was able to deal with the demotion. But can he?

Bass dodger

Jul 10, 2011
I,m not suggesting that he needs to lose his place in the defence, although he does frighten me sometimes with his distribution. Its just that I feel a captain should be a leader of men, someone who you are prepared to go over the top for, I dont see that in Greer.

I also feel that a captain is the managers mouthpiece on the pitch, One problem we seem to have is that we constantly sit too deep and all I see is Gus waving us out, I would like to see Greer take control of his defence and carry out his managers instructions for once.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Iam amazed by what I read from NSC sometimes - this is so WRONG that it actually stands out.

I wasn't being specific for captaincy :facepalm:
If someone at work desperately wants to be promoted to manager, then they're probably not the best person for it.

I'm also quite surprised that what I wrote stood out over the utter, utter bullshit that's been posted by 'fans' over the last few days...

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I`m sure the injury could be arranged on the training ground, Dickers very good at crippling our players i believe

Haha. I'm sure Hoskins would be relieved by that gesture from Dicker on Greer!

I did wonder about this problem when first Crofts and then Hammond were brought back - wasn't Hammond captain before? But of course he's only on loan.

I think Crofts with his experience of playing at Premiership level would make a better captain, if Greer was able to deal with the demotion. But can he?

Of course he wouldn't! He wants to be in the Championship to prove a point to his previous employers. Doncaster sold him because they thought he wasn't good enough and he's driving on that burn. Not even Gus will be able to deal with the aftermath of demotion. He was bought as a captain to replace Crofts and he definitely won't be leaving as just an average player.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I wasn't being specific for captaincy :facepalm:
If someone at work desperately wants to be promoted to manager, then they're probably not the best person for it.

I'm also quite surprised that what I wrote stood out over the utter, utter bullshit that's been posted by 'fans' over the last few days...

Well then let me tell how I read that; Anyone wanting a leadership role is not the best person, and someone who really does NOT aspire to lead, is.
Nope, I'm afraid that doesn't compute. And I remain confused by "not being specific for captaincy", since this thread is about el Abd as captain.

Sorry mate, you have me a bit befuddled - maybe we have to agree to disagree or something.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Is there enough oxygen on your planet??

Lol!
Yep, that is an indictment or Perkino's comment. One Albion LEGEND remaining in the squad, excellent in his position and often saving the day, pulls and pressures big lug attackers and anyone who ventures up for corners, impresses Gus and the (most) fans every week consistently (a rarity in our squad apart from Bridders!), and there are still those who'd cut him from the team. Arsetounding!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports