Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've wondered for a while, given this is probably true why songs of praise only ever shows christian songs and hymns, to reflect and celebrate the multicultural nature of our society isn't it time they had Islamic/Hindu/Sikh/Jewish prayer too?

???

:lolol:

I'm guessing that other faiths would have their own shows and possibly do already. There is a huge amount of religious stuff out there.

The overwhelming majority would still rather watch 'Line of Duty' though. Which kind of underlines the point.

Local clergy should always pass the plate around when the cameras turn up though. The church I went to was rather full when the TV folk arrived.... Albert getting a nudge to wake up and straighten his tie as the cameras went along the row during 'Onward Christian soldiers'...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I thought we were a progressive species and no longer required deities to keep us in check.

A bit off topic I know but the 26 anglican bishops currently sitting in the house of lords should be kicked out for the same reason. I think the UK is one of the only countries in the world that still have this archaic arrangement in the 21st century, yet they could get to vote on important issues like the right to die and assisted suicide.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The state cannot define, even less control or change (!) the faith of a nation. The state cannot determine access to God (John 14 v 6)

It’s all in the definition and we are talking about two different things. I think most people do not call it a Christian country because of the faith of the nation. It is more the role of the established church and its entwinement with state institutions (eg the constitutional Monarch). It is also the nominal celebration of Christian festivals eg that well known act of faith of getting drunk at Christmas. I am not a Christian but have no problem with all of this. Different countries have different religious traditions based on their history and I think most people respect that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A bit off topic I know but the 26 anglican bishops currently sitting in the house of lords should be kicked out for the same reason. I think the UK is one of the only countries in the world that still have this archaic arrangement in the 21st century, yet they could get to vote on important issues like the right to die and assisted suicide.

Not a country we should seek to emulate but I think Iran has some pretty influential clerics :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It’s all in the definition and we are talking about two different things. I think most people do not call it a Christian country because of the faith of the nation. It is more the role of the established church and its entwinement with state institutions (eg the constitutional Monarch). It is also the nominal celebration of Christian festivals eg that well known act of faith of getting drunk at Christmas. I am not a Christian but have no problem with all of this. Different countries have different religious traditions based on their history and I think most people respect that.

I see your point, although the link between church and state is far more symbolic these days. Using the term 'Christian state institution' would still seem as absurd though. I wouldn't contest it so much, although I have doubts that even many CofE clergy are actually Christians. My parents thought I'd make a good vicar when I was young. Should have done it, it would have been a good gig.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Haven’t you got that the wrong way around ? It is the state (not Christianity) that determines the UK is a Christian country. It could equally replace it with Islam.
Indeed. In fact the UK is in a minority of nations (and a small minority of European nations) that actually has a State religion.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That is a cracking idea to be fair, and if the company allowed staff could work Christmas holidays and take in their specific religious days instead.

Having said that it could be open to abuse, as in that someone could very much go down the current gender issues, that someone could claim to be Christian and muslim or any other religion for that matter and thus maximize their religious holidays.

I could see an uptake on faiths with summer festivals as well:)

For us, it's always a direct swap. I took advantage of it over Easter actually. I worked the Good Friday, and switched the "bank holiday" to the Tuesday after Easter. Gave me a full day able to work uninterrupted on productive stuff, and saved me a day's annual leave when I took the rest of the school term break off.

Everyone gets the same number of "bank holidays", they just get to use them as they see fit instead of rigidly aligned with one set of religious dates. The most common being swapping out an Easter / Christmas day for Eid.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not sure if this is the case in the UK but it always amuses me in the States how many forms require you to complete a religion box when registering for something, dentist, optician, doctor, hospital etc. I can maybe see it for a hospital as you may want to hedge your bets ! I suppose it shouldn't really surprise me as it is such a religious country, although it does seem that religious belief is also on the wane with more people labelling themselves as Nones. In some States it is still necessary to be a Christian to stand for public office although the Constitution bans this requirement

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You're posting on a privately owned forum, where the owner bares the full burden of any legal action brought. The thread you (and every other member) have been denied access to was centred on a current legal case. The decision was taken by the moderating team to protect NSC, the owner and all of us who enjoy this site and the hundreds of other topics that don't have the potential to cause issues.

Of course, if you are willing to cover any legal costs arising we could possibly open it up again so you can post on it.

Hey, thanks for that information and I do understand now, that it was about an ongoing legal situation, that might have been wise of me to avoid.

My apologies for any concerns I may have inadvertently brought to the owners of this forum.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Russia and China tried that and imprisoned those who practised it. Some are still being imprisoned.

... and vice versa, we fight for our beliefs, in the name of whatever religious head we have ... and it solves?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's a fascinating table....I hadn't previously clocked the dramatic decline in the Anglican church. Interesting that it still holds such an "establishment" position (only CofE bishops/archbishops are appointed to the House of Lords, monarch has to be Anglican, etc). How long before Islam overtakes Anglicanism as the primary religion in the UK? Don't show that graph to any Daily Mail/Daily Telegraph readers!!

Shirley it's the Guardian readers that should be the most worried ... after all, many Daily Mail and Telegraph readers probably share some pretty Conservative views with devout religious types... on a number of issues.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why not reallocate some of the 'Christian' bank holidays to other religions? Just keep Christmas Day and let Muslims / Hindus / Jews have one each?

This is a very good idea, I'd also advocate moving one of the other non religious days like August bank holiday to 26th February which is Black Lives Matter day, a day for learning, reflection and understanding of the racism and injustices people of colour face in the UK and worldwide.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I agree. Whilst we have 3 current days linked to Christianity (xmas, Good Friday and Easter Monday), that's really just a legacy. Let's be honest, the vast majority of people that enjoy those holidays don't do so for religious reasons.

In purely constitutional terms, the Queen is the head of state and also the Church of England. As the church is hardwired into our constitutional set up, it makes sense that the bank holidays are geared to notable dates in the Christian calendar.

Makes no odds to me. I’m a filthy heathen. And a shift worker that has to turn up for work regardless. I’ll go with the flow.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This is a very good idea, I'd also advocate moving one of the other non religious days like August bank holiday to 26th February which is Black Lives Matter day, a day for learning, reflection and understanding of the racism and injustices people of colour face in the UK and worldwide.
Or since February is a bit cold, perhaps a summer day might be a better choice. Maybe the Mayday holiday could be shifted a week later to the second Monday, often celebrated as Empire Day, and then (since the Empire is so widely associated with the ending of slavery) that day could also serve as a day to reflect on the evils of slavery and its successful abolition.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Why not reallocate some of the 'Christian' bank holidays to other religions? Just keep Christmas Day and let Muslims / Hindus / Jews have one each?
The only other Christian holiday is Good Friday. Boxing Day and Easter Monday are just there for the long weekend, and Mayday, Spring Bank, August Bank, and New Years' Day are secular.

And speaking as a Christian, if we can only keep one, I would prefer Good Friday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only other Christian holiday is Good Friday. Boxing Day and Easter Monday are just there for the long weekend, and Mayday, Spring Bank, August Bank, and New Years' Day are secular.

And speaking as a Christian, if we can only keep one, I would prefer Good Friday.

Good Friday isn’t as important to Free churches, and it’s treated as a normal working day in Yorkshire, which surprised me, when I lived there.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I don't think the OP is getting the reactions that were hoped for here.

I wasn’t ‘hoping’ for any reactions.

Yesterday, a 10-year-old Muslim boy asked me why Eid was not a holiday for everyone like Christmas and Easter are. I honestly couldn’t think of a plausible reason why it shouldn’t be.

Four colleagues I discussed this issue with yesterday also thought there was no reason why it couldn’t or shouldn’t be a bank holiday.

I was interested in getting a wider opinion.

Sorry if the poll upset you. There are plenty of others for you to read. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here