[Misc] Should Eid be a bank holiday in the UK?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should-Eid-be-a-bank-holiday-in-the-UK?

• Yes

Votes: 42 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 180 81.1%

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That is a cracking idea to be fair, and if the company allowed staff could work Christmas holidays and take in their specific religious days instead.

Having said that it could be open to abuse, as in that someone could very much go down the current gender issues, that someone could claim to be Christian and muslim or any other religion for that matter and thus maximize their religious holidays.

I could see an uptake on faiths with summer festivals as well:)

In theory it's a great idea but would cause issues for a lot of places I suspect.......the infrastucture needed to keep places open during what would otherwise be a shut-down (Easter and Christmas for example) would be expensive. If WFH was an option in any particular line of work then it's easier......

I did work with a guy who 'claimed' Jewish holidays but ate bacon sarnies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, just to be clear: NSC tolerates hate speech?

Just to be clear the thread needed to be binned off for legal reasons. Once it is gone there is no post to attach a ban or infraction to.

EDIT - just to further clarify I said might be reported. There is no guarantee it would have met the definition required in law. I'm just not taking that chance with Bozza's site and its users.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Okay.

So if the definition of a Christian is one who follows and believes in Christ.

To identify as a Christian one would need to-

Believe that Christ existed, was crucified, and rose again. And also, that by faith in him 'the messiah' they are saved. In Romans, Paul says that we are saved by faith (Romans 3)

Being 'good' is not enough of a justification. Most non-Christians are 'good'.

So, given that the vast majority of the UK does not believe in Christ crucified we can conclude that the the UK is not a Christian country. In fact, it would be wrong to automatically cloak everyone in what is a blasphemous assumption.

There may probably be more believing Hindus, Muslims etc than actual Christians.

So what is the fact based conclusion ? The UK is not a Christian country and, given that faith requires faith as defined by religion, it is none of the others. The UK is a secular country.

[MENTION=34864]Live by the sea[/MENTION] assertion that the UK is a Christian country has no basis in fact as defined by the biblical interpretation of 'Christian'. And only the 'rule book' should be allowed to define what the rules are. Unless they are twisted to offer another, false, definition. Which in most cases is really 'White Anglo Saxon'. The UK is mostly that, but still not correct in its application.

No-one has ever managed to correct me on this, possibly because of all the formative years spent studying scripture and church history.

The worst thing to ever happen to Christianity was when Constantine made it the official religion of the Roman Empire. Downhill from there- it became a political entity. That isn't, and never was, its objective.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Genuine question.

Can you provide me with a definition of a 'Christian country' ?

Indeed, could you explain to me your interpretation of the word 'Christian' ?

Question open to all.

FWIW I see no need for such a Bank Holiday.

It is according to this link (I’m sure there are better ones but I am being a bit lazy)

https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/moving-uk/student-life/religion

Christian institutions are embedded into our political institutions. Similar for Islam in Saudi Arabia although of course that state enforces religious law which hasn’t been the case in this country for a long time.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Okay.

Believe that Christ existed, was crucified, and rose again. And also, that by faith in him 'the messiah' they are saved. In Romans, Paul says that we are saved by faith (Romans 3)

So, given that the vast majority of the UK does not believe in Christ crucified we can conclude that the the UK is not a Christian country. In fact, it would be wrong to automatically cloak everyone in what is a blasphemous assumption.

There may probably be more believing Hindus, Muslims etc than actual Christians.

So what is the fact based conclusion ? The UK is not a Christian country and, given that faith requires faith as defined by religion, it is none of the others. The UK is a secular country.

[MENTION=34864]Live by the sea[/MENTION] assertion that the UK is a Christian country has no basis in fact as defined by the biblical interpretation of 'Christian'. And only the 'rule book' should be allowed to define what the rules are. Unless they are twisted to offer another, false, definition. Which in most cases is really 'White Anglo Saxon'. The UK is mostly that, but still not correct in its application.

No-one has ever managed to correct me on this, possibly because of all the formative years spent studying scripture and church history.

Haven’t you got that the wrong way around ? It is the state (not Christianity) that determines the UK is a Christian country. It could equally replace it with Islam.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Your a member of the EDL or National Front if you put up a Flag of St George on St Georges day apparently , so no , why on God's earth would the government pander to this when we don't have a Bank Holiday for our own nations day .

If it happens , then roll on St Gingerish Tash day .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Okay.

it's the "white" bit those two are interested in. They just won't say it outright.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
Just to be clear the thread needed to be binned off for legal reasons. Once it is gone there is no post to attach a ban or infraction to.

That's just sweeping it under the carpet, so yes, it does appear that hate speech in tolerated on this site. Cool.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Wasn't the one about Subbuteo was it ? :mad::whistle:

There's a Subbuteo thread?? Awesome. Unless it's about the Cricket version, which was shit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That's just sweeping it under the carpet, so yes, it does appear that hate speech in tolerated on this site. Cool.

I've answered and added a further clarifying edit. If that's what you want to think, that's fine. I won't be discussing it further.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Is it tolerated? No.
Do the moderators read every post on every thread every day. No.
Do we always get it right and have identical views on what constitutes Hate Speech when it is seen or reported? No.
Are we a bunch of people doing our best to moderate where required whilst trying to keep the spirit of NSC intact? 100%

If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry about that but other forums are of course available. Or you could start your own? I'll sign up.

If you read something that you genuinely feel is Hate Speech as per the legal definition, please report it via the Report Post function.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
I've answered and added a further clarifying edit. If that's what you want to think, that's fine. I won't be discussing it further.

That's a ****ing pitiful response: Hiding behind a legal argument, rather than doing what I suspect you know is right, but you're just too cowardly to do (not you as an individual nut NSC in general)

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Thank God :)wink:) for that, we can simply replace Chocolate Easter Eggs with Chocolate Harvest Eggs.

It was the only thing holding me back, but I'm all for this changing all bank holidays to secular now [emoji106]

But as [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] so eloquently said, this is ENGLAND. So we should stick with good English traditions like Turkey for Xmas dinner, exchanging Christmas presents, a Xmas Tree, Father Christmas all dressed in red, three kings, three wise men etc. I certainly couldn't be doing with strange foreign traditions ???
Ostara was the goddess, its where we get the name Easter, so the name wouldn't change

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Certain people have agendas and try subtly and sometimes with great big steel toe cap jack boots to hijack threads.
However I think you will find hate speech is not tolerated here, and very quickly pounced on by moderators and the general NSC family.

Claiming NSC is a basically racist message board where hate speech is tolerated is frankly bizarre and simply not true.
Some may claim you have an agenda, which is probably not the case, but could be perceived by the right to shut them down with their freedom of speech guff.

Never ending circle....

All aboard the Bear Pit train....

Choo Choo

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
View attachment 136681

https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/39293/1_bsa36_religion.pdf

The size of the British Islamic population is greater at a growing faster rate than the other religions you mention.

That's a fascinating table....I hadn't previously clocked the dramatic decline in the Anglican church. Interesting that it still holds such an "establishment" position (only CofE bishops/archbishops are appointed to the House of Lords, monarch has to be Anglican, etc). How long before Islam overtakes Anglicanism as the primary religion in the UK? Don't show that graph to any Daily Mail/Daily Telegraph readers!!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Haven’t you got that the wrong way around ? It is the state (not Christianity) that determines the UK is a Christian country. It could equally replace it with Islam.

The state cannot define, even less control or change (!) the faith of a nation. The state cannot determine access to God (John 14 v 6)

Christ, therefore Christianity is not of this world (John 18 v 36)

People are expected to be submissive to rulers, but God is separate and higher (Mark 12 v 17) (Acts 5 v 29)

This was the biggest problem that many reformers who wished the country to devote itself to pure Christianity rather than that which was state sponsored faced. John Wesley faced the problem manifold. His biggest detractors were the Church of England and doubtless many in governance. The idea of bringing the gospel to the masses outside a church setting and in an uncontrolled way was a danger to the established order. He preached because the Christian country concept was built on lies.

It is a personal frustration of mine purely because the idea of a Christian country is another false construct that we are brought up with from birth. Even the process of christening a child is an odd tradition, as if somehow trying to ensure a salvation that is contrary to original doctrine.

But the fabric of belief, understanding and practice in this (like most) nations is built on falsehoods and controlling influences. No-one is ever liberated.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's a fascinating table....I hadn't previously clocked the dramatic decline in the Anglican church. Interesting that it still holds such an "establishment" position (only CofE bishops/archbishops are appointed to the House of Lords, monarch has to be Anglican, etc). How long before Islam overtakes Anglicanism as the primary religion in the UK? Don't show that graph to any Daily Mail/Daily Telegraph readers!!

In real terms (genuine devotees and believers) it probably has already. However, the biggest group is, and will remain for many decades, non-believers. Again, it is important to separate faith from politics.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In real terms (genuine devotees and believers) it probably has already. However, the biggest group is, and will remain for many decades, non-believers. Again, it is important to separate faith from politics.

I've wondered for a while, given this is probably true why songs of praise only ever shows christian songs and hymns, to reflect and celebrate the multicultural nature of our society isn't it time they had Islamic/Hindu/Sikh/Jewish prayer too?

???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports