Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Brentford have had a penalty

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes - so an unwritten rule that most refs are using...

As for the touch on the ball - yes if it's reckless it doesn't matter as its a foul. If it's not deemed reckless then whether they touch the ball is essential as it deems whether it was a free kick or not surely...? Agree some comms forget the reckless bit but the touch on the ball is still a big part of tackling..

You have been selective with your definition of the rules which say reckless or careless - I would have said that Dunks challenge fell into the latter and as such was a stonewall penalty.
Just imagine if that was the 89th minute of the play off final and Zamora is brought down in such circumstances, penalty or not? I know the answer to that one!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You have been selective with your definition of the rules which say reckless or careless - I would have said that Dunks challenge fell into the latter and as such was a stonewall penalty.
Just imagine if that was the 89th minute of the play off final and Zamora is brought down in such circumstances, penalty or not? I know the answer to that one!

Reckless is careless isn't it? I've not seen the replay so don't know re this particular one but I'm saying it seems to be an unwritten rule amongst refs that once a 'good' shot is away any contact after is rarely given as a pen. Not saying it's right or wrong but it's inconsistent. There's loads of rules in football these days where it's officially the refs 'opinion' as such - there will always be inconsistencys. I'm not sure I've worded that right but I've just woken up so apologises :lol:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Reckless is careless isn't it? I've not seen the replay so don't know re this particular one but I'm saying it seems to be an unwritten rule amongst refs that once a 'good' shot is away any contact after is rarely given as a pen. Not saying it's right or wrong but it's inconsistent. There's loads of rules in football these days where it's officially the refs 'opinion' as such - there will always be inconsistencys. I'm not sure I've worded that right but I've just woken up so apologises :lol:

You are right about inconsistencies, the rules themselves are very clear, it is interpretation and misinterpretation that makes the waters muddied.
I have refereed at various levels and have never applied the toe on the ball or he got a good shot in scenario. I may not have been the most popular ref, but I was consistent. :wink:

Oh and reckless and careless aren't the same thing. Reckless tends to be with undue force or aggression whereas careless is more of a stupid decision, I.e. Dunks'.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You are right about inconsistencies, the rules themselves are very clear, it is interpretation and misinterpretation that makes the waters muddied.
I have refereed at various levels and have never applied the toe on the ball or he got a good shot in scenario. I may not have been the most popular ref, but I was consistent. :wink:

Oh and reckless and careless aren't the same thing. Reckless tends to be with undue force or aggression whereas careless is more of a stupid decision, I.e. Dunks'.

Yeh but a good tackle is defined as to touching the ball right? So if it's not reckless or careless the decision is based on whether he took the ball?

Were you taught the (18 maybe - it's been a while) rules of the game when doing refs course - and told the 19th is the most important - common sense. Because that's what we were told when doing the course, yet others on here don't seem to have been!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yeh but a good tackle is defined as to touching the ball right? So if it's not reckless or careless the decision is based on whether he took the ball?

Were you taught the (18 maybe - it's been a while) rules of the game when doing refs course - and told the 19th is the most important - common sense. Because that's what we were told when doing the course, yet others on here don't seem to have been!

Yep fully conversant with the 17 Laws of football, was that to catch me out or are you thinking of the 19th hole in golf... :)

Common sense is the problem, players, managers, commentators and yes refs lack it. Common sense is what makes the decisions inconsistent.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep fully conversant with the 17 Laws of football, was that to catch me out or are you thinking of the 19th hole in golf... :)

Common sense is the problem, players, managers, commentators and yes refs lack it. Common sense is what makes the decisions inconsistent.

Yes I thought my numbers were wrong. A few times I've pointed out to people on here that common sense is the most important rule and they weren't listening..!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Definite penalty for me, it's a late challenge where he got nowhere near the ball.

If this was in the middle of the pitch and the player attempts to pass the ball and in doing so kicks it off the pitch but is taken down by a late tackle, it will be given as a foul. I cannot see why it being in the box and a shot rather than a pass that a different decision should be given.

The only thing is that he didn't stop the goalscoring chance and should not be sent off for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here