Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Brentford have had a penalty

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
So as Wilson was tripped by the defender clearing the ball when he was through on goal, using your posted information, was that a penalty then?

Clearly it was actually a piece of good defending by the Brentford player and not a penalty, but if people are saying that Dunks slide to try to block the shot which their player then may or may not have made contact with due to their follow through, why isn't it the same for Wilson or maybe a foul by Wilson on their defender?

Or is this part the key to why is wasn't a penalty:
"a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force" - was Dunks attempt to block any of these - I don't believe so (did Sky say they thought it was a penalty or highlight it as a controversial moment from the match?)

Probably the active word is "careless". It is impossible to define and purposely left to ref's call, which is why there are so many contested decisions. I am not sure Sky not highlighting it is particularly relevant. My usual frame of reference is: "would this have been given a foul outside the penalty area". Answer: probably yes, but there is room for doubt, as there usually is. I just think Dunk was lucky because a pen for that sort of challenge has been given. He is inclined to commit in the penalty area from dangerous (ie not facing the opponent) positions.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Did anyone see the Dunk header in the second half from a corner? Almost had his shirt ripped off by their defender; just as bad as the penalty he gave away against Burnley.

Penalty without a doubt referee was 5 yARDS FROM THEM LOOKING DIRECTLY AT THEM AND LINO WAS ON THE LINE LOOKING directly AT THEM , SO WHY NO PENALTY ? Answer incompetence , laziness or both or plain cheating there can be no other reason.
Dunks shirt was indeed almost torn from his body, ridiculous

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd suggest a penalty, irrelevant to when/how the attacker got the ball away as it looked like a genuine foul regardless.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So as Wilson was tripped by the defender clearing the ball when he was through on goal, using your posted information, was that a penalty then?

Clearly it was actually a piece of good defending by the Brentford player and not a penalty, but if people are saying that Dunks slide to try to block the shot which their player then may or may not have made contact with due to their follow through, why isn't it the same for Wilson or maybe a foul by Wilson on their defender?

Or is this part the key to why is wasn't a penalty:
"a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force" - was Dunks attempt to block any of these - I don't believe so (did Sky say they thought it was a penalty or highlight it as a controversial moment from the match?)

I'm pretty sure that was in the D and not the box so no pen but it was a free kick.

Sky thought it could have been a pen but it was 50/50 between the pundits

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No. The bloke had already wasted the possession before Lewis came in. But I was a bit concerned at the time that it might be given.
With the Burnley one (or was it Derby?), the ball was still in-play. Last night, it wasn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll have to watch it back, but my heart dropped a bit at the time. Wouldn't of been surprised had the ref gave it.

Same here. My first reaction in WSL was 'oh f***', my second was to look at the ref. Watching the game on TV today seems he'd already got rid of the ball before Lewis hit him.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I am sure if it was our player brought down, we would have thought it was a penalty.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I am sure if it was our player brought down, we would have thought it was a penalty.

Of course, that's just how fickle us football fans are.. Makes me smile sometimes from my seat in the WSL lower, watching my fellow fans screaming for a decision, when it obviously wasn't a foul!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's another unwritten rule of football essentially. Rarely do you see fouls given if somethings done after the ball has been played and a player momentum takes them into the player. Many said after the Greer one that if you give that you have to give many, many more penalties. Another example of inconsistent referees...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't even remember this challenge you're all on about.

I guess I didn't think it was a penalty then.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's another unwritten rule of football essentially. Rarely do you see fouls given if somethings done after the ball has been played and a player momentum takes them into the player. Many said after the Greer one that if you give that you have to give many, many more penalties. Another example of inconsistent referees...

No unwritten rule, just something that keeps getting repeated by idiot commentators, as in "he definitely got a touch on the ball" (before he put him in row Z)...
Been repeated so many times now people think it's fact! It's not...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would have been one of the worst penalty decisions in a long time if it had been given.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No unwritten rule, just something that keeps getting repeated by idiot commentators, as in "he definitely got a touch on the ball" (before he put him in row Z)...
Been repeated so many times now people think it's fact! It's not...

Yes - so an unwritten rule that most refs are using...

As for the touch on the ball - yes if it's reckless it doesn't matter as its a foul. If it's not deemed reckless then whether they touch the ball is essential as it deems whether it was a free kick or not surely...? Agree some comms forget the reckless bit but the touch on the ball is still a big part of tackling..

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
For me it should have been a pen and so should the one where Dunk was held when he tried to get a header on goal - so as both weren't given that's OK. Two wrongs more or less do make a right here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here