Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Short corners ....?!!!!!!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
This is when armchair fans fail to realise the tactical/data analysis side of the game. Similar to when people use to moan about keeping everyone back when defending corners.

Do you think that playing short corners this game was without reason?

Everton have the worst record this calendar year from set pieces , so no idea what data we were looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Must have come from the game plan, the coaches, Shirley. Occasionally of course but nearly always...So so poor

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That I didn't get.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This is when armchair fans fail to realise the tactical/data analysis side of the game. Similar to when people use to moan about keeping everyone back when defending corners.

I'd have some sympathy with your argument, were it not for two, rather vital, points:

1. Having decided to use that tactic, should we not then have had a plan other than 'pass it around aimlessly for a bit and see what happens'

and

2. Once it became blindingly obvious it wasn't working (to the point that everyone including the commentators were scatching ther heads), surely we could/should have changed the plan? Surely?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
it would be interesting to what the reason was, as outwardly it certainly didn’t seem to gain or produce anything

What on earth was that all about today?!

Double digit corner count and only 2 proper corners.

All these short corners ended up forcing us back to the GK or getting hit on counter.

Crazy tactic time and time again.

Awful, bang the feckin ball in the box !!!!!

You may have noticed that this forum is covered in posts bemoaning our defending of set-pieces, and how much we are lacking in the air.

With that in mind, why would just swinging the ball into the box have any different impact at the other end of the pitch?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd have some sympathy with your argument, were it not for two, rather vital, points:

1. Having decided to use that tactic, should we not then have had a plan other than 'pass it around aimlessly for a bit and see what happens'

and

2. Once it became blindingly obvious it wasn't working (to the point that everyone including the commentators were scatching ther heads), surely we could/should have changed the plan? Surely?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as they say.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
You may have noticed that this forum is covered in posts bemoaning our defending of set-pieces, and how much we are lacking in the air.

With that in mind, why would just swinging the ball into the box have any different impact at the other end of the pitch?

So why, then send up the big backs if you just aren’t going to put the ball in the mix? leaving us wide open for counter attacks and heaping pressure on ourselves?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We did take one really smart short corner when the ball was quickly passed along the goal line to Trossard who hesitated in crossing and another corner was conceded.

If Trossard had banged it into the goalmouth early at speed it would have been difficult to defend. But yes the corners were awful today , somehow mainly resulting in us working the ball back to Ryan or being caught on the counter attack.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as they say.

And at what point in the game do you think hindsight became available?

Listen Graham, I think you're a great manager, and I do appreciate what you have done in terms of bringing in youth and our style of play.
But maybe a bit more practice at both taking, and defending, set pieces may be helpful before the next match?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
So why, then send up the big backs if you just aren’t going to put the ball in the mix? leaving us wide open for counter attacks and heaping pressure on ourselves?

I assume the plan is to put the ball in the box, but not direct from the first kick, but allow a bit of movement and let someone find some space. Didn't work on most occasions, obviously, but its a tactic I think we might see more of. By the end there was one good ball from Bissouma that Dunk almost got on the end of, and he was close to another one in the first half

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Oh, I'm sure there was a reason. Just sadly not a very good one.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
At least taking the short corner one of our players receives the ball, we get to pass it a bit and THEN lose it -- with "normal" corners it just goes straight to the first opposing defender on the front post or out the other side for a goal kick. Lose/lose

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
And at what point in the game do you think hindsight became available?

Listen Graham, I think you're a great manager, and I do appreciate what you have done in terms of bringing in youth and our style of play.
But maybe a bit more practice at both taking, and defending, set pieces may be helpful before the next match?
What's your suggestion? "Put it in the mixer"?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I assume the plan is to put the ball in the box, but not direct from the first kick, but allow a bit of movement and let someone find some space. Didn't work on most occasions, obviously, but its a tactic I think we might see more of. By the end there was one good ball from Bissouma that Dunk almost got on the end of, and he was close to another one in the first half

may well be the case. More so my frustration is our complete lack of mixing things up. What’s wrong with some long, some, short etc? Especially when after umpteenth attempts of the same thing it just clearly isn’t working.

I couldn’t care less if it’s played, long, short, sideways or even upside down, but not repeat, repeat, repeat. (Unless of course what you’re doing is getting the result your seeking)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
may well be the case. More so my frustration is our complete lack of mixing things up. What’s wrong with some long, some, short etc? Especially when after umpteenth attempts of the same thing it just clearly isn’t working.

I couldn’t care less if it’s played, long, short, sideways or even upside down, but not repeat, repeat, repeat. (Unless of course what you’re doing is getting the result your seeking)

like everything else, its a work in progress I guess. I like that this team and manager doesn't step back - they believe in what they are doing and that it will pay dividends in the end. Fair play I say

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
What's your suggestion? "Put it in the mixer"?

Today, yes.Or if not, then at least APPEAR like you have some kind of idea what you ARE going to do with it.

C'est la vie though. Next game is going to be much better. It always is.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Today, yes.Or if not, then at least APPEAR like you have some kind of idea what you ARE going to do with it.

C'est la vie though. Next game is going to be much better. It always is.
I agree, it didn't work out and we were devoid of any real purpose from those set pieces. One thing that I would agree with you, is that we should have mixed it up more, especially when it was obvious that Pickford is a complete calamity at pretty much anything that involves catching or the basics of goalkeeping!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here