Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Short corners ....?!!!!!!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
What on earth was that all about today?!

Double digit corner count and only 2 proper corners.

All these short corners ended up forcing us back to the GK or getting hit on counter.

Crazy tactic time and time again.

Spot on. Ridiculous, especially in the weather conditions and with Pickford in goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This is when armchair fans fail to realise the tactical/data analysis side of the game. Similar to when people use to moan about keeping everyone back when defending corners.

Do you think that playing short corners this game was without reason?

Nonsense. It was totally ****ing ridiculous.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I assume the plan is to put the ball in the box, but not direct from the first kick, but allow a bit of movement and let someone find some space. Didn't work on most occasions, obviously, but its a tactic I think we might see more of. By the end there was one good ball from Bissouma that Dunk almost got on the end of, and he was close to another one in the first half

Exactly this. The staff definitely looked at all set pieces Everton faced so far this season and thought "our best chance is to stirr up their defense because we wont have much chance winning 'fair' heading duels in there". It didnt work out particularly well though and I'm sure the staff and players are going to make some improvements in that area.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The most frustrating part of the game from what I heard / saw. Exemplified our inability to test a very shaky GK on a wet, zippy pitch. I was actually more frustrated when the Big Biss Man scored so late. C'est la vie.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Not just corners. Constantly checking back rather than putting the ball in the box.

Especially considering the advanced performances from Lamptey vs Newcastle and March vs Man United. Moving forward and exploiting the opportunities would've made it easier to accept the defeat. Everton are a decent side

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Leeds score from a corner, swung in and keeper makes a mess of it. Pickford was a liability and we should have made more of his shite form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Putting in a wayward cross from a corner, I can live with.
Short corner quickly ending Up at the feet of Ryan (several times).....that’s beyond the pale.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
maybe its the potter way to take a corner and then build from the back

I love Potter but, if that is his plan, he needs a rethink

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What's the best thing to do when a dodgy keeper and their best defender collide and are prone on the ground after conceding a corner? Silly me to think it would be to swing a corner in and test them rather than taking a short corner and end up passing it back to our goalie.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Some of those short corners really were horrid.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It would be nice to have a tall striker to aim at from corners though. I know the centre halves have height but would prefer to have a recognised striker to target from corners and free kicks.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
What's the best thing to do when a dodgy keeper and their best defender collide and are prone on the ground after conceding a corner? Silly me to think it would be to swing a corner in and test them rather than taking a short corner and end up passing it back to our goalie.

Absolutely this. Anyone who has played as a defender in organised football at any level knows the feeling when you're defending a corner and the other team takes it short - one of intense relief. Because the chances are that they'll mess it up. And that relief is multiplied if you don't trust your goalkeeper.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is when armchair fans fail to realise the tactical/data analysis side of the game. Similar to when people use to moan about keeping everyone back when defending corners.

Do you think that playing short corners this game was without reason?

Sorry, I disagree. Quite obviously a tactic but clearly didn't work to the extent it looked bizarre and at times embarrassing. Even (as what you describe as an armchair fan) understands that a corner played back into a midfield is a wasted one.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Matthew Upson on the international commentary also amazed by how bad they were. Started pointing it out early in the second half too. It's not just that they were short corners. It's that they were really really bad short corners where we passed the ball back into our own half and didn't even try to cross the ball before losing it.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
All I can take from it is the manager doesn't think we have any kind of aerial threat in the box when it goes in there.

Why else wouldn't you be crossing the ball into the box when you have the opportunity?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I dont get it at all. If the tactic is to play the short corner and then play the ball intricately to the strikers, why have Dunk and Webster up there at all? If they are not there waiting for a cross, wouldn't they be better employed back on the halfway line to defend a possible break away? It just doesn't make any sense.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's brilliant to mix it up every now and then by throwing a short corner in. Completely disrupts the defence and can allow a team to deliver the ball from a new angle.

However, I admit I went BATSHIT at about the 4th short corner in a row after we KNEW they had Flappy McFlappochops in goal, the wind was SWIRLING and the rain was a-HURLING. We literally scored from causing a bit of chaos. The evidence was there.

Again, I love the occasional short one, but it seemed as though we were desperate to be too clever when there's no shame in saying "This calls for some ugly stuff".

It wasn't even the fact they were short corners. It was more they were short corners with no real plan to them.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Ridiculous, especially in the wet conditions and Pickford was looking his usual dodgy self. So frustrating watching the ball being passed further and further back. Dunk and Webster needn’t bother going up for the corners. And as for our defending of set pieces, we need to sort it out or we’re playing catch up every game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Of course it wasnt without reason and have often thought we dont vary corners enough. However to do the same nearly every time is very hard to understand. They knew what we were going to do.covered well and many ended up at half way line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here