Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are you sure someone has made a joke? I didn't think so.

There were reports (on here) that he had ejected. There were also reports that he had died, and those reports seem to have been premature (although critical might not do his condition justice), so not all reports have been accurate.

The reports from sensible media indicate that he is in a critical condition at the Royal Sussex County.

The disturbing addition is the belief that the casualty numbers may rise.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
With respect, I don't understand this logic, a loss of life is a loss of life, every one equally tragic. Thoughts go out to everyone affected.

Yes and no. IF it was a wedding car it does make even more tragic that it should happen on one of the happiest days of their lives. But I get your point, there's always going to be a sad story attached to everyone.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Are you sure someone has made a joke? I didn't think so.

There were reports (on here) that he had ejected. There were also reports that he had died, and those reports seem to have been premature (although critical might not do his condition justice), so not all reports have been accurate.

The reports from sensible media indicate that he is in a critical condition at the Royal Sussex County.

The disturbing addition is the belief that the casualty numbers may rise.

Apologies, one of the incorrect Pilot reports were from me.
I earlier read on a major news website that the Pilot did not eject, was pulled alive from the plane and later passed in hospital. This now appears to be incorrect and he is currently in hospital in a critical condition.

The Pilot is a Harrier Jet Pilot in the RAF, Andy Hill - a Previous British Airways Captain.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Of course it is but with respect people possibly dying on any special day for them is tad more thought provoking - on many levels

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I know of two young men from Worthing that have not returned home today. Can't post details. But sad sad times.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With respect, I don't understand this logic, a loss of life is a loss of life, every one equally tragic. Thoughts go out to everyone affected.
Everyone here is thinking of those that have died, been injured, and of their family and friends.

If you were to go solely with the idea that all losses of life are equally tragic, then we wouldn't bat an eyelid at today's tragedy, because hundreds of thousands of people die every single day. Today's tragedy means more to us simply because it's so close to home. If people have just got married and then died in a wedding car (I have no idea if anything like that has happened), then saying that's particularly sad does not take away from anything else, it's a fair comment to make.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know of two young men from Worthing that have not returned home today. Can't post details. But sad sad times.
I'm sorry to hear this. Are they missing, or do you know that they were involved?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm sorry to hear this. Are they missing, or do you know that they were involved?

I really can't say anymore than that. One of several very sad stories that will come out soon I am sure.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I've just watched the immediate aftermath video which had previously been mentioned on here and I am absolutely furious.

Having now seen the devastation with my own eyes this was clearly filmed straight after the crash. We're talking first people on the scene (no emergency response present at this stage although audibly on there way to the accident)

Why then is some dickhead not only filming these events but laughing behind his camera as he does so??

Nonchalantly walking round when there are clearly people dead/dying all around him.

I'm sure some will defend his actions and put it down to the shock of what he had just witnessed. Not for me though. To even contemplate getting your phone out at that time is a ****ing disgrace.

His actions were in my opinion unforgivable.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I've just watched the immediate aftermath video which had previously been mentioned on here and I am absolutely furious.

Having now seen the devastation with my own eyes this was clearly filmed straight after the crash. We're talking first people on the scene (no emergency response present at this stage although audibly on there way to the accident)

Why then is some dickhead not only filming these events but laughing behind his camera as he does so??

Nonchalantly walking round when there are clearly people dead/dying all around him.

I'm sure some will defend his actions and put it down to the shock of what he had just witnessed. Not for me though. To even contemplate getting your phone out at that time is a ****ing disgrace.

So why did you watch the video?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Dreadful scenes. RIP those who lost thier lives and thoughts and prayers with their family and friends.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
So why did you watch the video?

Good question.

As someone aviation minded I was trying to fathom whether the aircraft had stalled. My YouTube search then taking me to the aforementioned video.

Perhaps my previous post was a bit harsh I don't know? I just felt that there should have been a bit more urgency when faced with such a horrific scene. In the footage everyone seemed so nonchalant - like it happens every day. In hindsight maybe we do all react differently and who am I to judge.

I'm sure the emergency services did a fantastic job when they arrived. Ultimately it's what they're trained to do and that's the difference I guess.

Just a very sad day all round.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Happens all the time. I see it regularly at car crashes. I often see drivers holding their phones up as they drive past, getting themselves a nice photo as the fire guys are cutting some poor injured human being out of their mangled car. I've seen onlookers filming while paramedics carry out CPR. I've no idea what they think they're going to do with the footage, as I think even our worst newspapers would baulk at showing footage of CPR on a dying person.

It's the way life has turned in this age of personal technology.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Help please NSC's. As you realise I live in Spain. My brother who lives in Brighton was going to the airshow today. I have been trying to contact him, mobile & home line but no response. Is there a line I can ring to enquire as to his well being?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Help please NSC's. As you realise I live in Spain. My brother who lives in Brighton was going to the airshow today. I have been trying to contact him, mobile & home line but no response. Is there a line I can ring to enquire as to his well being?

You can contact Sussex Police on +44 (0)1273 470101.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I also watched the video, like everyone else I was was looking for all the information I could get as I also had family members who were at the show or in the immediate vicinity. Just questioning the "righteous anger" of your post. I do not condone the actions of the video taker, I would like to think I would have handled the situation differently, but...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

"If you are concerned about anyone who you think may have been in the area, please call Sussex Police on 01273 470101. Additionally, a family and friends reception centre has been set up at Worthing Hospital and support is also available at the Royal Sussex County Hospital.

Taken from Sussex Police Website

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here