Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
george_street_hove.jpg
Was it Potters?
It's the only clothes shop I can remember in George Street, they had a shop in York Place Brighton that sold school uniforms, but I also bought Farah trousers there in the early 80s, don't Remember them selling expensive jumpers.

Potters rings a bell but maybe because of the one by St Peter's.
I have found a pic of a men's clothes shop at the corner but I think I remember it being smaller. It appears to be an earlier pic too. Was it Broadley Bros?
View attachment 57927

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
View attachment 57928

Potters rings a bell but maybe because of the one by St Peter's.
I have found a pic of a men's clothes shop at the corner but I think I remember it being smaller. It appears to be an earlier pic too. Was it Broadley Bros?
View attachment 57927

Good picture but it looks like very early 70s? Is that from ' My Brighton & Hove' website?

I don't remember any other shop names from George St Hove, I lived in Brighton but used to work in Hove in the early 80s.
Do you remember what type of jumper you bought?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
My favourite record store was Wickham, Kimber & Oakley in George Street, Hove. Being a collector of Jazz it was worth the climb to the attic to get advice from the local Jazz Critic who ran that department.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
The one by the clock Tower was technically top of North Street. It had a metal spiral staircase and upstairs seating. There was also one in, as you say, York Place. Both now gone. As is the one across the road from Chichester train station. Only ones I'm aware of nowadays are Burgess Hill, the one in Hollingbury on the 5B bus route up to ASDA, and that tiny wee one down an obscure side road between Western Road and the seafront. Beggars belief that a universally-adored burger chain could blow it so badly.
Sake! :unclesam:

There is one in Rustington still going strong...

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Woolworth late 50's for buying huge packets of used postage stamps. Whatever happened to stamp collecting?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I'm going to drag this westwards for the Worthingites

Toys from Milldowns on Goring Road
Computer games from Chips on the corner of Ripley/Rugby Road
There was a tiny sports shop down Portland Road near Halfords that I used to get darts supplies from, can't remember the name

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
OK, and back to Brighton of the late 70's, and burgers, or more specifically, thick milk shakes. Who remembers 'Sparx' or maybe 'Sparks' burger bar down on London Road?

If I remember rightly it was pretty much next door to The Northern Pub, and about half a dozen shops north of Potters menswear. They were the original purveyors of thick, creamy ice cold milk shakes in Brighton with exotic names like strawberry, banana or chocolate. We knew how to live back in 77/78!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The one by the clock Tower was technically top of North Street. It had a metal spiral staircase and upstairs seating. There was also one in, as you say, York Place. Both now gone. As is the one across the road from Chichester train station. Only ones I'm aware of nowadays are Burgess Hill, the one in Hollingbury on the 5B bus route up to ASDA, and that tiny wee one down an obscure side road between Western Road and the seafront. Beggars belief that a universally-adored burger chain could blow it so badly.
Sake! :unclesam:

There's still one in Woodingdean I think.

I was worried about Yum Yums on Sydney Street as that has been sold, but apparently the new owner wants them to stay

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I miss Grubbs ( I moved, not the shop), used to go in the London Rd or Western Rd one nearly every night on the lash with my ex for best part of a decade. Remember another one called Cheeky Chicken maybe? Sure we ended up in there a few nights.

Grubbs went a bit downhill though didn't it?

I miss Tomorrow's World video shop on the Dials. That was a Sunday night ritual, rent a film, get a Chinese, chill out.

These were the days before I lived on my own in a field in Cornwall. But look at me getting all sappy.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
BMX bike shop at fiveways...notice that there's a new bike shop trading from that very unit

Wavy line

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I miss Grubbs ( I moved, not the shop), used to go in the London Rd or Western Rd one nearly every night on the lash with my ex for best part of a decade. Remember another one called Cheeky Chicken maybe? Sure we ended up in there a few nights.

Grubbs went a bit downhill though didn't it?

I miss Tomorrow's World video shop on the Dials. That was a Sunday night ritual, rent a film, get a Chinese, chill out.

These were the days before I lived on my own in a field in Cornwall. But look at me getting all sappy.

The last few Grubbs i've had have been excellent.

And I was ffing angry when I tried to there on the way to the Derby game and it wasn't open.

Bondies, up by Milner/Eastbourne rd, two go in,(setting off bell as audible as Big Ben) one hits the floor, he comes out, you umm and aar, he watches you leave ( he was about 90) then goes out the back, the one on the floor in front of the counter stands up and nicks all the Texans, Banjos and Marathons he can carry before legging it out the shop. The bigger kids used the same trick but for No6 and JPS

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Big love for Uncle Sams- A decent sized burger, and you could actually recognise the salad bits! It always was good for a fill up / people watch, on way home from the Odeon in West Street..

I think there was one on the main road into Woodingdean- painfully slow service, mind.

There was a pizza perfect (? green and white shop frontage ) franchise near top of North Street, just before Churchill square. First time I had tried an 'all you can eat' buffet.

Other shops missed- Beatties in Dyke Road, also Gamleys in the Imperial Arcade.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just remembered, Trends joke shop in Western Road? I think its just a hair wig thing, now..

And Uncle Jims kebabs, Preston Circus- 'pure turkish dish, not a copy'.

Blind lemon alley was a great place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here