Shops gone that you miss

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Rocko's in queens road down from the station, Uncle Johns, corner of grange road and the coast road Southwick, and Clarks baker shops everywhere. yesterdays cakes were great when i was a kid.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
AA Bakers on the London Road where you could get subbuteo stuff as well as getting your football inflated.

The newspaper shop up from Patcham crossroads I think was called barrets not gills,maybe the name changed

Bioscope books in trafalgar street

Gills may not be the correct spelling - it's a hard G - but during the late 50s,early 60s when I was still in single figures, my parents definitely called it Gills. May have become Barrets later though.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
My entries:
Clives barbers, New Rd (although never get Clive to do it..!)
F1 car tuning shop for carbs and stuff
Rains bar/restaurant on seafront, where you could buy plate chips between you and drink till 2am
Marjon snooker club, middle street. Mainly a gambling club front, but never felt safer amongst crims eating a sarnie at 4am..!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Headquarters and General Supplies in West Croydon. Where you could get all the ex-jukebox singles, with a big hole in the middle. Then you had to get a "Spider" to plug in the gap to be able to play them.

Also they sold lots of remaindered stuff, got a rare mint EP there of Spencer Davis for about 1/-. There were a whole rack of them. Must be worth a bit now.

sueelleker

Aug 25, 2014
Woolworth's was full of total and utter tat :lolol:

I'm not sure people really miss it, it's just one of those shops that springs to mind easily when we're racking our brains for shops that no longer exist. All I remember it being good for is pick 'n mix sweets. Other than that, it just seemed to contain piles of generic school uniforms, saucepans with handles that would break off within three weeks of purchase, and the world's ugliest Gola football boots, costing about £9.99, that every child prayed their parents wouldn't buy and make them wear for P.E.

There were good reasons why Woolworth's went bust...

We bought 2 fibre-board units there in 1975 when we got married, and they're still in use! So much for tat.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Was it Di Marco Bros. or similar along London Road opposite St. Peter's Church? Used to do a glorious whippy ice cream dipped in choccie hundreds & thousands.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Sorry gog shop was defo part of the cobleys mens shop in western road it was downstairs, cobleys was also in church rd opposite bottom of george st. Michael lowrie was the manager of gog shop and in latter years had his own shop called "lowries " which was in the lanes

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
You thinks wrong my friend. Michael Barrie was 100% the one in Western Road and it' s where I bought my first big greatcoat in late 1972. Patterned cloth had just taken over from the military grey fashion from the late 60's and 70/71 which was usually accompanied by the obligatory Led Zep, King Crimson album under the arm as a fashion accessory. These fabulous coats were wonderful that Winter and it cost me almost half a months pay. They were all the rage amongst the North Street bank and insurance staff around town in 72 and 73. In such demand that someone broke in to my newly acquired 65 Mini and stole it. Big event buying that coat and it was definitely Michael Barrie in Western Road. Gog shop was East Street and I used to like Squires for cheaper stuff in Western Road. But they never had the quality in Squires.

GOG SHOP WAS IN WESTERN ROAD DOWNSTAIRS IN THE COBLEYS MENS SHOP

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But we still have Swift Sports, Old Steine - fantastic and we still go there. Encourage everyone to support these owner managed businesses.

Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:, stay away from the faceless chains and support a sports shop that's been serving Brighton well since Steve Burtenshaw played for us!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Uncle Sams by the clock tower.

WTF happened to the bloke who owns Uncle Sams? He could have achieved world domination. Instead he appeared to have some kind of breakdown and retreated to a half-dozen randomly/obscurely-sited outlets. Doubt I'd ever have any reason/excuse to go to Burgess Hill ever again if Uncle Sams were to close down.

Put it this way, how many other burger chains have their own dedicated NSC smiley? As the bloke with the heavy suitcase said:I rest my case :unclesam:

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
the automat clock tower, the florida rooms, 101 club west st,kangaroo, coffee bar western rd, the scandanavia western rd,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports