Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shìt that makes you feel old Volume I

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My first crush is now 71.

Remembering when you thought your parents were old fuddy duddies and they were actually younger than you are now.

Involuntary farting.

I don't play sport now, but I was first the oldest person on the pitch four years ago. Shortly after I became the oldest person in my office. Thankfully, one or two of the youngsters (as in under 35) had inherited some of their parents musical interests so there wasn't too many problems with the Spotify playlist.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
All the members of NSC getting depressed cos they are feeling that they are getting old, just remember, it’s vastly superior to the alternative.

I’ve had too many friends, who haven’t made it to old age.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
When you see TV footage or similar from the eras when you were young.

In your mind… yes, of course, there's been a seamless and steady development of the world down the years, but essentially this is the same place, same life, same society. A constant connected thread.

Then you see, say, the 1980s on TV. And it looks like historic footage. Totally another era. Laughably ancient, and different, and disconnected from today. Like seeing WW2 era footage when you were young. Look at the cars! The buildings! Even the film quality is shit; all grainy and fuzzy and in a poxy boxy aspect ratio. How can that be right?

And you realize, well, yeah, actually now there is a 40-year gap from 2020 to 1980. Just like there was from, say, 1985 to 1945. And the gap looks just as vast, and that – far from being someone who's always been part of a connected now that's broadly the same with steady subtle changes – you come from history. That was you. You are the past.

That is deep. Depressing but very thought provoking.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I don’t know if it was his hair or somehow that I’ve been in a time warp since last watching Room 101 but Frank Skinner looked liked he’d aged considerably since I last saw him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Choosing to go out for lunch rather than dinner

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The end of world war 2 is about 3 times as long ago as it was when I was born.

Quite a lot of my school friends are grandparents .. and that's not remotely surprising.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’m only 35, but I’m feeling tired and old right now. NSC, put this old ****’s mind at rest.

What makes you feel old?

Sorry but I’ve got bad news for you, if you are tired and old at 35 it’s not going to get any better.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
When you see TV footage or similar from the eras when you were young.

In your mind… yes, of course, there's been a seamless and steady development of the world down the years, but essentially this is the same place, same life, same society. A constant connected thread.

Then you see, say, the 1980s on TV. And it looks like historic footage. Totally another era. Laughably ancient, and different, and disconnected from today. Like seeing WW2 era footage when you were young. Look at the cars! The buildings! Even the film quality is shit; all grainy and fuzzy and in a poxy boxy aspect ratio. How can that be right?

And you realize, well, yeah, actually now there is a 40-year gap from 2020 to 1980. Just like there was from, say, 1985 to 1945. And the gap looks just as vast, and that – far from being someone who's always been part of a connected now that's broadly the same with steady subtle changes – you come from history. That was you. You are the past.

Post of the day for me, the standard NSC reply would be 'This', but you have summed up my feelings so wonderfully well that it deserves more than a glib one word reply. I've been posting a lot on a particular music thread and it has been a great trip back through my life, but it ends up being a double edged sword, enjoying the memories but depressing when you realise how long ago it all was. And I agree completely with you about film and video footage, one of the news channels put a clip up of the heatwave in 1976, which I remember well, Christ on a bike! It looked like a grainy film about life in the 1950's, I certainly didn't remember it like that. You live your life involved in the moment, which passes into history before you realise it.
Boy. do I need a large Gin & Tonic!
:down:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All the members of NSC getting depressed cos they are feeling that they are getting old, just remember, it’s vastly superior to the alternative.

I’ve had too many friends, who haven’t made it to old age.

The best post on this thread. Be thankful for every day you have because you may not have tomorrow.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The best post on this thread. Be thankful for every day you have because you may not have tomorrow.

Exactly. Some years ago I passed my dad's age when he died. He woke up one morning feeling poorly; he was dead within a couple of days.

Seize every day you have - and ignore all those signs of ageing

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Found myself in Dunhelm this morning buying curtains. My days of youth are truly over

Also I was discussing Duran Duran with my colleagues last week, not one of them knew what I was talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly. Some years ago I passed my dad's age when he died. He woke up one morning feeling poorly; he was dead within a couple of days.

Seize every day you have - and ignore all those signs of ageing

I was going to thumbs up your post but thought it wasn’t appropriate. You are quite right.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You start feeling old when your kids start feeling old, like when they'd decide to watch a movie and were heavily reliant on the postal service to deliver that movie. Oh, and equally reliant on the postal service to return that movie also :lol:

7210.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here