Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
well, that's nice, but I meant like this

football_shirt_20141_1_276x400x0.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the sponsor would get loads of good publicity over it IF they handled it in the right way. It would be more or less a first in this country, so that's what they have to remember and they'll still be selling loads of sponsored shirts and being seen on TV every week.

You can win by 'losing'. Betfred made their major breakthrough when Fred Done famously paid out on a United title in February or something, and Arsenal went on to nick the title, so those punters got paid too. He got millions of pounds-worth of PR from a gesture that maybe cost him a few hundred thousand.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sort of defeats the object of a sponsor deal if you can buy the main piece of merchandise without the sponsor name. Its a nice idea but does not make commercial sense, the publicity in the beginning would not last long.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like my regular t-shirts as plain as possible., I don't like logos, emblems, phrases etc, however, for me, a football shirt just doesn't look right without a sponsor logo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd rather we had a charity than a company, but I imagine we are not quite in the same bracket of clubs that can afford to forgo free money.

Yes, its only really big clubs who can afford to make that kind of gesture.

Like WALSALL...

1275042861_110.JPG

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Leicester went without a sponsor for their centenary shirt teh other season, and shirt sales went through the roof apparently.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought ITFIRST ran out at the end of this season. :eek:

So did I.
I'm sure I heard from somewhere that the current home kit is for this season only, and we'll have a new kit for the new stadium (and new sponsors on the shirts, hopefully Amex).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
So did I.
I'm sure I heard from somewhere that the current home kit is for this season only, and we'll have a new kit for the new stadium (and new sponsors on the shirts, hopefully Amex).

And a new club crest...

Oh, I was hoping that we might have Porshe on the shirts given the recent sponsorship deal on the club site.

Donatello have signed up for back-of-shirt sponsorship for the first 2 years at the Amex.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
west brom's logo-less number looked lovely few years back.

i never but replica tops... but i would 100% buy one without a logo

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leicester went without a sponsor for their centenary shirt teh other season, and shirt sales went through the roof apparently.

Southampton have no sponsor logo this season, as its a special [125] anniversary one.

Again, they've sold buckloads. See loads more about, round here than recent seasons.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Excellent idea, we bung the club £200,000 and we get a sponsor free shirt; anyone putting forward an opening offer?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wonder what the actual impact of shirts sponsors logo on replica kit has on their business, especially outside the top flight. the national coverage in the press and TV is what they are paying for - along with a load of hopsitality. do you wonder along see a kit and think, i must get IT First into do some systems, or i must renew my insurance with Aon? did you even know what Aon does?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So did I.

I heard we have a new kit (this one is for the last season at Withdean only) but I thought I also heard that IT First had also signed up as kit sponsor for the first season at Falmer.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Excellent idea, we bung the club £200,000 and we get a sponsor free shirt; anyone putting forward an opening offer?

Not the idea. The team would still wear the shirt with logo. Though I quite like the idea of the conversations at 2.15pm on a Saturday if they had the choice.

Kitman: "Casper - with or without?"
CA: "I'll go WITH today, I think"
K: "Tommy, with or without?"
TE: "Give me one without the sponsor - their logo doesn't match my eyes"
Etc

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not the idea. The team would still wear the shirt with logo. Though I quite like the idea of the conversations at 2.15pm on a Saturday if they had the choice.

Kitman: "Casper - with or without?"
CA: "I'll go WITH today, I think"
K: "Tommy, with or without?"
TE: "Give me one without the sponsor - their logo doesn't match my eyes"
Etc

Not sure what the story behind it was, but didn't Tottenham play a big game (FA Cup Final possibly) back in the 80's with some players wearing shirts with sponsorship, and some without?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yeah, there we go, it was Tottenham vs Coventry in the 1987 Cup Final.

79022700.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here