Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Sherry’s - Today’s Argus

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes, but Coasters( formerly the more sophisticated Jenkinsons) was a relatively new venue at the time, early 80s.... main options centered around West St were Sherry's, Top Rank, Busby's...
Yes correct, I was too young for Sherry’s but started going to Coasters in about 83, I didn’t really like Pink Coconut or The Suite back then.
Jenkinsons mentioned many times on NSC had decent bands playing late 70s early 80s on Sunday evenings.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only went in Sherry’s a couple of times really not my cup of tea awful pop music over priced drinks full of plastic wannabes and twats looking for a drunken fight
Much happier in the Hungry Years after a feed beers in the Basketmaker, The Eagle and King and Queen
Great pubs. I lived on Robert Street for a bit in 1979. Just a short walk from those great pubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes correct, I was too young for Sherry’s but started going to Coasters in about 83, I didn’t really like Pink Coconut or The Suite back then.
Jenkinsons mentioned many times on NSC had decent bands playing late 70s early 80s on Sunday evenings.
1687687963489.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1687688211279.png

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I never set foot in Sherries because I could see (from among my class mates) the sort of clientele it attracted.

When I was 15 to 18 it was Hungry Years and Rock night at the Top Rank (where the DJ would play any vinyl we brought along - place was almost empty, just the way I like it).

If you preferred Rod Stewart and Elton John, had a Rod Stewart hair cut, work cow-pat shoes and Brut aftershave, it would have been Sherries.

Snob, moi?
I never went to Sherry's (in any of its guides). Nor did I frequent Coasters, Gloucester, Sloopy's etc. I went to the Years a few times but a little too metal for me. I went to the Curtain Club a few times and various other gay haunts. Despite being straight, I've tended to prefer gay clubs.
But I certainly knew of Sherry's and it's shocking that the Argus got it so wrong.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was a regular in the Years in the early/mid 70s. I was in Brighton in the mid/late 90s for a conference, and suggested to my GF (who was a massive GnR/Def Leppard fan) we check out the Years. It was exactly the same as it had been in the 70s, same music, same layout, same miserable bastard behind the bar. I was saddened to see that it has now been turned into some sort of dreary old bollocks.

View attachment 162709

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I never set foot in Sherries because I could see (from among my class mates) the sort of clientele it attracted.

When I was 15 to 18 it was Hungry Years and Rock night at the Top Rank (where the DJ would play any vinyl we brought along - place was almost empty, just the way I like it).

If you preferred Rod Stewart and Elton John, had a Rod Stewart hair cut, work cow-pat shoes and Brut aftershave, it would have been Sherries.

Snob, moi?
Sisters Rays was the only place that let most of us in. PC was horrible, but strangely, like the Event, a very good gig venue.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As an aging DJ who frequented Sherrys way back in the late 70's, why has Brighton never attracted a 'super club' to the town. By that I mean a night club putting on star DJ's from around the world. Yes we have/had all the clubs on the beach plus concorde2 and FBS with his nights. I recall a few years ago a big name have an all nighter at the Brighton Centre which sold out (Carl Cox?). But there's no Calvin Harris, James Hype et al.
Some big name house DJs were regulars here in the 90s. Sasha and Digweed did Babealicious on Mondays at the Paradox about once a month or so, Danny Rampling who founded Schoom was resident at The Zap on Friday nights in the mid 90s and Sister Bliss was a regular visitor to the city as was Andy Weathrall.

Big Beach Boutique was a destination club in itself

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Coasters was in the large building called Kingswest on the seafront/ West Street, the Top Rank Suite (AKA The Suite) also in Kingswest was a separate nightclub.
I’m sure around 1883/4 Coasters was open until 1AM but Pink Coconut, The Suite etc opened until 2 AM
No to open late. 83 it was 11:00 because Coasters was a bar, not a club. Clubs didn't open late either.
At Rain we had a strange exclusive licence. No alcohol without food (burger or similar), had to have music but also a dance floor, hence a DJ. Inspected one night and no dance floor, told it had to be minimum 1 yard x 1 yard so we ringed off a small area. Too be honest I had most people dancing anywhere. Only place with a late licence back then. I wont tell you how but lots of gay people involved on both sides, council and owners.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
You’re right actually as I can narrow it down slightly as I was definitely at BHASVIC as I remember who I went with (as I fancied her and failed in my mission that night 😂). So that puts it between Sept 93 and June 95. I’d guess at towards the end of that.

God I’m old.
Thought I went to see Blur in 94 but that was definitely at the Event, just after Parklife was released.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No to open late. 83 it was 11:00 because Coasters was a bar, not a club. Clubs didn't open late either.
I know it’s 40 years back but I’m sure I would have just stayed in a pub and not paid to go into Coasters. I’m 99% sure it shut at 1AM.
Myself and friends would go out early on a Friday evening wearing jeans, Adidas trainers etc and go to pubs, if we decided to stay out later we would always get into Coasters because they didn’t have the same dress code as the Suite and Coconut etc.
I’m also sure that The Pink Coconut etc closed at 2AM in the 80s

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know it’s 40 years back but I’m sure I would have just stayed in a pub and not paid to go into Coasters. I’m 99% sure it shut at 1AM.
Myself and friends would go out early on a Friday evening wearing jeans, Adidas trainers etc and go to pubs, if we decided to stay out later we would always get into Coasters because they didn’t have the same dress code as the Suite and Coconut etc.
I’m also sure that The Pink Coconut etc closed at 2AM in the 80s
Mid / late 80s every club was till 2am. We used to go to to the Savannah, the Escape or the Gloucester and all were 2am, as were the West St clubs and a little place in East st that played “black” music. Not sure when it all changed though, older friends of ours used to talk about early closing and having to serve food. By the 90s the Zap was regularly open till 5am or even later - Good Friday was always a proper all nighter

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Wish I had kept my gig tickets.
A few I remember seeing are Dead Kennedys, Simple Minds and Killing Joke, I think New Order played there and U2 definitely. Edit - just seen your ticket :thumbsup:

They didn’t seem bothered about the NO UNDER 18s, I went in there aged 15
Yep, NO played one of their first gigs in Jenkinsons in 1981. I love JD/NO to bits but they were dreadful. It seemed that Bernard had just lost their game of spoof to see which of the remaining 3 would be the singer and it showed!

They didn’t do too badly afterwards tho!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Despite its lager boys feel
most nights, Paradox did put on some corking nights..

Attachments

• 7B66225B-EEB1-4C7D-A457-69C2FF6B77AA.jpeg
    7B66225B-EEB1-4C7D-A457-69C2FF6B77AA.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 50
  • D3627F02-0819-4C65-98CD-939929EB225E.jpeg
    D3627F02-0819-4C65-98CD-939929EB225E.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 49

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
In my era it as the Paradox, then Creation, then Tru, no idea what it was called when it shut as stopped going to west street a while ago

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yep, NO played one of their first gigs in Jenkinsons in 1981. I love JD/NO to bits but they were dreadful. It seemed that Bernard had just lost their game of spoof to see which of the remaining 3 would be the singer and it showed!

They didn’t do too badly afterwards tho!
I was searching on Google for bands that played Jenkinsons and you posted on another thread from 2019 that they played in 1981.
I think I still wish I had seen them back then, many bands played in Brighton around that time, as I was only 15 I couldn’t afford to go to as many as I wanted.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I was searching on Google for bands that played Jenkinsons and you posted on another thread from 2019 that they played in 1981.
I think I still wish I had seen them back then, many bands played in Brighton around that time, as I was only 15 I couldn’t afford to go to as many as I wanted.
HWT would have probably seen all of them! 😂

I think NO also played a warm up gig somewhere in Brighton (the Basement?) prior to their 1981 tour when only 40 or so were present. I’m sure Hooky mentions it in one of his books but I might be having a ‘senior moment’ and imagining it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here