Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Sherry’s - Today’s Argus

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Could they get it more wrong?

“After Sherry’s closed, it became a roller-skating rink and then a bingo hall before being demolished in the late 1960s”

It’s a big part of Brighton’s history and was still open in the early 80’s. It was then closed for a while, refurbished and re opened as The Pink Coconut.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sums up The Argus today. A couple of 25 year old journalism graduates, with little knowledge of this city.

Confusing the site with another, spectacularly.
You left off 'who are Southampton based'.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Could they get it more wrong?

No mention of Max Miller’s performances there nor Abba’s Eurovision win hosted by Katie Boyle.

Shameful research.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Very, very few of us pay for our news via local newspapers in print or on the internet.
Local media organisations are skint and struggle to pay staff.
Surely no one is surprised at the lack of quality journalism?

It's very easy to be critical, but very sad that it has come to this.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ahh, Sherrys on Xmas Eve & NYE was one long snog-a-thon back in the late 70s
It was always a snogathon ... that balcony made for some very handy dark corners..... the laser lights at Sherry's was a quaintly revered technical highlight of those times,....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes. Bizarrely, I saw Blur play at the Paradox around ‘96/‘97. Not sure there was ever another ‘gig’ there. Used to be my go to on a Tuesday night as a BHASVIC student with a fake id. Zap on a Thursday.
I went to that, IF I had to guess it may have been a year or two earlier , lots of gigs at the Event round then too.

Btn Uni 'Podfest' was also held there one year, 95 or 96, we played with label mates Spitfire, also Channel D and a few others.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As an aging DJ who frequented Sherrys way back in the late 70's, why has Brighton never attracted a 'super club' to the town. By that I mean a night club putting on star DJ's from around the world. Yes we have/had all the clubs on the beach plus concorde2 and FBS with his nights. I recall a few years ago a big name have an all nighter at the Brighton Centre which sold out (Carl Cox?). But there's no Calvin Harris, James Hype et al.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here