[Misc] Sherry’s - Today’s Argus

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. Bizarrely, I saw Blur play at the Paradox around ‘96/‘97. Not sure there was ever another ‘gig’ there. Used to be my go to on a Tuesday night as a BHASVIC student with a fake id. Zap on a Thursday.
If memory serves me correctly Gil Scott Heron played there once.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sherrys.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As an aging DJ who frequented Sherrys way back in the late 70's, why has Brighton never attracted a 'super club' to the town. By that I mean a night club putting on star DJ's from around the world. Yes we have/had all the clubs on the beach plus concorde2 and FBS with his nights. I recall a few years ago a big name have an all nighter at the Brighton Centre which sold out (Carl Cox?). But there's no Calvin Harris, James Hype et al.
You are Rory and I claim my £5

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Just shown a friend this thread who has always lived in Brighton and she said all the cool kids went to the zap not the pink coconuts. She went to a club nearby called orianas.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I went to that, IF I had to guess it may have been a year or two earlier , lots of gigs at the Event round then too.

Btn Uni 'Podfest' was also held there one year, 95 or 96, we played with label mates Spitfire, also Channel D and a few others.
You’re right actually as I can narrow it down slightly as I was definitely at BHASVIC as I remember who I went with (as I fancied her and failed in my mission that night 😂). So that puts it between Sept 93 and June 95. I’d guess at towards the end of that.

God I’m old.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very, very few of us pay for our news via local newspapers in print or on the internet.
Local media organisations are skint and struggle to pay staff.
Surely no one is surprised at the lack of quality journalism?

It's very easy to be critical, but very sad that it has come to this.
Don't tell me Eva Petulengro no longer predicts the future. 😮

1687685792242.png

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As an aging DJ who frequented Sherrys way back in the late 70's, why has Brighton never attracted a 'super club' to the town. By that I mean a night club putting on star DJ's from around the world. Yes we have/had all the clubs on the beach plus concorde2 and FBS with his nights. I recall a few years ago a big name have an all nighter at the Brighton Centre which sold out (Carl Cox?). But there's no Calvin Harris, James Hype et al.
Cream tried to open a gaff next to the Sealife Centre around the 2000s but they couldn’t get the offence they wanted, if memory serves, so that was quickly forgotten.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just shown a friend this thread who has always lived in Brighton and she said all the cool kids went to the zap not the pink coconuts. She went to a club nearby called orianas.
I never set foot in Sherries because I could see (from among my class mates) the sort of clientele it attracted.

When I was 15 to 18 it was Hungry Years and Rock night at the Top Rank (where the DJ would play any vinyl we brought along - place was almost empty, just the way I like it).

If you preferred Rod Stewart and Elton John, had a Rod Stewart hair cut, work cow-pat shoes and Brut aftershave, it would have been Sherries.

Snob, moi?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not one to defend The Argus but I think they are correct about the skating club - it was before Sherry's. Might be wrong as it was well before my time of going to the Pink Coconut. Anyway, bring back The Hungry Years I say !

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Almost. Whilst Rory worked in Coasters (Top Rank Suite) I worked 10 pm till 2 am in Rain, now Buddies. We were the only late night venue with a licence till 2 am. Met him many yimes when he came in post work.
Coasters was in the large building called Kingswest on the seafront/ West Street, the Top Rank Suite (AKA The Suite) also in Kingswest was a separate nightclub.
I’m sure around 1883/4 Coasters was open until 1AM but Pink Coconut, The Suite etc opened until 2 AM

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
:lolol:
I preferred going to Coasters, much cheaper to get in and no dress code.
Yes, but Coasters( formerly the more sophisticated Jenkinsons) was a relatively new venue at the time, early 80s.... main options centered around West St were Sherry's, Top Rank, Busby's...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Only went in Sherry’s a couple of times really not my cup of tea awful pop music over priced drinks full of plastic wannabes and twats looking for a drunken fight
Much happier in the Hungry Years after a feed beers in the Basketmaker, The Eagle and King and Queen

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not one to defend The Argus but I think they are correct about the skating club - it was before Sherry's. Might be wrong as it was well before my time of going to the Pink Coconut. Anyway, bring back The Hungry Years I say !
I was a regular in the Years in the early/mid 70s. I was in Brighton in the mid/late 90s for a conference, and suggested to my GF (who was a massive GnR/Def Leppard fan) we check out the Years. It was exactly the same as it had been in the 70s, same music, same layout, same miserable bastard behind the bar. I was saddened to see that it has now been turned into some sort of dreary old bollocks.

1687687769175.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports