[News] Shemima Begum- Should she be allowed to return to the UK?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allow Shemima Begrum back into the UK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well if bringing her home isn’t an option, I’m certainly not going to going to loose any sleep over letting a Russian and Iranian backed regime like the Syrian Government keep our homegrown ISIS terrorists since it was Syrian government’s fault in the first place that ISIS even exists.

So what are your views on the Government attempting to dump her on Bangladesh ?

They couldn't do that to me, but we were both born in UK.

I have no sympathy for terrorists or those who support them. If the IRA hadn't f@@@@ up their initial bomb attack in Warrington I wouldn't be typing this.

I'm not loosing sleep about this individual either. What worries me is the bigger picture and how this country looks on the world stage.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So what are your views on the Government attempting to dump her on Bangladesh ? … They couldn't do that to me, but we were both born in the UK

All my views (and the full facts of the Judgment in relation to her being stateless I’ve posted above). Btw - she was also born in the UK.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I watched that recent documentary on BBC 'The Shemima Begum Story' (still on iPlayer) which has in depth interviews with her, her ISIS husband and others involved, very interesting.

What comes across is how...emotionless she is. She had 3 children over there, all of whom died, yet she discusses this in the same matter-of-fact deadpan way we tells the rest of her story as if in passing. I'm not sure I buy the naivity she claims when she decided to travel to Syria at 15 to join ISIS. She seems very switched on, intelligent and articulate, its not like she'd have been able to further educate herself over there.

Is she a threat to the UK ? Has she been radicalised, could she carry out or still be a conduit to an attack on UK soil ? Impossible to say, but the government has taken a tough stance in this case, perhaps to act as a deterrent and to show the consequences if other UK citizens choose to leave these shores and join a terrorist regime that wants us all dead.
Regarding her education. What makes you say the bit I've put in bold?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well if bringing her home isn’t an option, I’m certainly not going to going to loose any sleep over letting a Russian and Iranian backed regime like the Syrian Government keep our homegrown ISIS terrorists since it was Syrian government’s fault in the first place that ISIS even exists.
Really???

That's an interesting statement. Unless you was being deliberately flippant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Regarding her education. What makes you say the bit I've put in bold?
Well, if there are schools or universities for women in Syria who are there living under ISIS rule, married to ISIS fighters, then its probably passed under my radar tbh.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Really???

That's an interesting statement. Unless you was being deliberately flippant.
Not at all- I’m not in the habit of being flippant about murderous regimes or terrorist groups but I’m not going to derail the thread with a long history of Syrias’s manipulation of opposition (rebel) forces in Syria and how Assad enabled ISIS to thrive for the purpose of tarring all those rebel forces as ‘ISIS’ and therefore deserving of being massacred with chemical weapons. ISIS existed prior to Bashar Al-Assad’s regime in some form but certainly not as the fighting force it became with his enabling and tacit support.

If you are genuinely interested
Assad’s tacit support for what would become ISIS dates back at least 10 years prior to the civil war.

It’s a known fact Assad’s autocratic government and his brutal oppression of his own democracy-seeking opposition citizens led to a brutal civil war creating a vacuum for various extremist groups to move into Syria and flourish. However, early on in the civil war, it served Assad’s purpose to be ambivalent towards ISIS in order he could lump all opposition to his regime as Jihadist and his Regime as the only Secular alternative - what started out as an internal civil war in Syria become a very complex situation on the ground with proxy wars being fought between Russia/Iran v US and her allies - a war on the ISIS declared caliphate, conflicts between various muslim extremist groups, Turkey against the Kurds (which is likely to revive ISIS) with both Christian and Muslim citizens getting caught in the crossfire between all participants.

I am not an expert - The situation in Syria is very complex, the complete understanding of which requiring more than a superficial knowledge derived from a few British newspapers/tv reports can provide us with or that someone without inside information on security issues could really understand.

Last edited:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I have actually just seen an advert for The Poppy Lottery with some real heroe`s , fighting people just like her . But yeah bring her home give her a house money in her pocket feed her and look after her human rights :facepalm: then explain to those real heroe`s why they F****** bothered .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I watched that recent documentary on BBC 'The Shemima Begum Story' (still on iPlayer) which has in depth interviews with her, her ISIS husband and others involved, very interesting.

What comes across is how...emotionless she is. She had 3 children over there, all of whom died, yet she discusses this in the same matter-of-fact deadpan way we tells the rest of her story as if in passing. I'm not sure I buy the naivity she claims when she decided to travel to Syria at 15 to join ISIS. She seems very switched on, intelligent and articulate, its not like she'd have been able to further educate herself over there.

Is she a threat to the UK ? Has she been radicalised, could she carry out or still be a conduit to an attack on UK soil ? Impossible to say, but the government has taken a tough stance in this case, perhaps to act as a deterrent and to show the consequences if other UK citizens choose to leave these shores and join a terrorist regime that wants us all dead.
She had three children over there, I bet she couldn’t wait to get back here and start breeding all over again, she’ll be a mother of 5 by 2030…..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well, if there are schools or universities for women in Syria who are there living under ISIS rule, married to ISIS fighters, then its probably passed under my radar tbh.
Oh, a sense of humour to go with your colonial mentality. Nice.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not at all- I’m not in the habit of being flippant about murderous regimes or terrorist groups but I’m not going to derail the thread with a long history of Syrias’s manipulation of opposition (rebel) forces in Syria and how Assad enabled ISIS to thrive for the purpose of tarring all those rebel forces as ‘ISIS’ and therefore deserving of being massacred with chemical weapons. ISIS existed prior to Bashar Al-Assad’s regime in some form but certainly not as the fighting force it became with his enabling and tacit support.

If you are genuinely interested

Assad’s support for what would become ISIS dates back at least 10 years prior to the civil war.
That's an extremely narrow focused piece of work. It's basically just an anti Assad rant.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In 1815 the British sent Napoleon to Saint Helena to live out the rest of his days after his final defeat on the battlefield.
I believe its still its still a British dependency. Maybe an option, and I don't think she is a danger to world peace as he was at the time.
I’ve been there. Beautiful part of the world.
Oh and no to the original question.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If she is indeed susceptible to suggestion, even in her older years, then off these shores might well be the best place for her.
Because terrorism is never coordinated from abroad.

But yes, I know what you mean. A valid argument. Can’t deny that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports