Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shelvey & Dummett's red cards overturned

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No, he has to rapidly move his leg there in a stamping motion to be able to get up. :rolleyes:

Astonishing if you don't think there is very real intent there, how that is rescinded is beyond me.
I think he did it deliberately, hence the words in my post :shrug:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
MASSIVE ex premier league club that the media adore with a manager they also adore, top of the league but starting to falter get a boost in their fortunes? I am shocked I tell you!

Me too, it's a funny old world.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can't help but think that Shelvey has got away with one there. It was the linesman who made the decision not the referee, but it does look like he deliberately kicked Lansbury in the nuts.

[yt]oFzFvELcEuc[/yt]

Commentator "There is no excuse for what Shelvey then did"

FA "Actually there is....Red Card rescinded"

If he was just untangling himself, he would still have to make sure that he doesn't injure another player and that kick out was something that was deliberate and could injure. Even if you were untangling yourself, you wouldn't have to make that motion (especially as they were pretty much untangled anyway) when you can just roll away unobstructed and carry on with the game.

The FA are a disgrace and this once again just shows that they are only interested in looking after the big clubs interests and not ensuring fair play standards are applied the same and for all teams

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Commentator "There is no excuse for what Shelvey then did"

FA "Actually there is....Red Card rescinded"

If he was just untangling himself, he would still have to make sure that he doesn't injure another player and that kick out was something that was deliberate and could injure. Even if you were untangling yourself, you wouldn't have to make that motion (especially as they were pretty much untangled anyway) when you can just roll away unobstructed and carry on with the game.

The FA are a disgrace and this once again just shows that they are only interested in looking after the big clubs interests and not ensuring fair play standards are applied the same and for all teams
That's what it seems like. I wonder if Leeds will start to get "the rub of the green" with referees now that they are picking up again? I'd love to know what TB and PB think of all of this.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If it's not bad enough that they have the advantage of a Premier League standard squad and parachute money, now they appear to have the FA giving them an extra advantage over the rest of the Football League clubs with decisions like this

Time and time again the FA fail to overturn a ban / red card because it would be deemed to be undermining the ref's decision at the time but when it's Newcastle...sure, they will cancel them

It would be interesting to find out how many appeals by all the clubs have been successful and which club(s) get more overturned

Would they have been overturned if it had been Burton or Rotherham (or even us)? The answer is clearly NO.

The FA disgust me.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Dummett challenged from behind, bringing down the man without touching the ball and, as the last man, denied a clear goal-scoring chance. How is that NOT a red?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's very biased that these clubs always seem to get their decisions and yet we plus many other smaller teams never seem to get a proper look. However that happens in many companies and businesses or playgrounds and it just makes it all the sweeter when we achieve our target come end of season.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Really surprised that Shelvey's got overturned. Whether he made contact or not , he deliberately kicked out .

Dummet's red was soft but there were probably loads of red cards given out on the weekend for that . He was last man in the box and made contact .

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Although both were soft I can't believe they've had them overturned. The FA will probably let Shelvey of his other charge now for good measure.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ps I would have rather seen the FA retroactively give Dele Alli a ban for his dive at the weekend

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be honest, we need to get over stuff like this. This is exactly why the FA have independent appeals committees for this stuff, to negate club biased. The randomly selected 3 man committee in this case (of Jimmy Nail, Sir Jackie Charlton and Ant off of Ant and Dec) clearly looked at the objective evidence and overturned mistakes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To be honest, we need to get over stuff like this. This is exactly why the FA have independent appeals committees for this stuff, to negate club biased. The randomly selected 3 man committee in this case (of Jimmy Nail, Sir Jackie Charlton and Ant off of Ant and Dec) clearly looked at the objective evidence and overturned mistakes.

Perhaps we need to take the human element out of it, and bring in DRS. In the Shelvey case, they would be able to determine that his boot pitched in line and was going to hit middle stump

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I heard they also used the independent consultancy services of Sir Alan Shearer as a source of expert advice?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I thought Dummett's was incorrect. I believe the rule now is if you deliberately stop a scoring opportunity as the last man then it's a red.

If you are the last man and give away a penalty, but it was just deemed to be clumsiness or a genuine attempt then it's not a red (not sure if it's meant to be a yellow?). That was probably correct to overturn.

Shelvey, however, in my opinion is a shocking decision to overturn. All I keep hearing is "he didn't make contact" or "Lansbury made it look worse". Shelvey had the CLEAR intention to kick out and make contact. The fact he was useless and missed shouldn't matter.

What a horrible little sod he is. Brilliant player......but an idiot of a human being.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I can just about understand how they can rescind the Dummett red. It was a really soft foul to say the least. He tried to stop and not make a challenge, but Lansbury was already diving to the floor like a sack of shit instead of trying to shoot.

With Shelvey though, regardless of what happened in the moments before or how much Lansbury over reacted. He CLEARLY kicked out at him. I have no idea how that can justify rescinding it.

Lansbury had a lot to do with both of those cards and given the absolute state of his hair, I think he should be given both reds instead.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories and I really want the FA to take more of a lenient approach in these situations. But I just can't fathom how the Stephens and Murphy reds being talked about here would be upheld if the same people at the FA are making these decisions. It does smack of favoritism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here