Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield Wednesday players considering walking out.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Plus they don’t live in a single club bubble.

Every financially cheating club deprives or potentially deprives an honest club (and all their supporters) a place in a division.

If you listened to the crap we got outside Hillsborough after that play off game, it would be hard to not revel in their demise...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As some on here have suggested that both Sheffield clubs amalgamate how about, based on being the Steel City, calling themselves Sheffield Welded - a sort of combination of both Wednesday and United names?

Oh sod it, I’ll just get my knife and fork! :facepalm:

I think this idea has some mettle. Perhaps a new nickname, the Sporks

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They're being relegated to the 3rd tier for the 2nd time in 10 years and are unlikely to bounce back immediately. They haven't exactly had it great, have they? I don't think you'd see any group of fans, us lot included, complaining if the club owner was pouring money into the club to fund big transfers and wages. In fact what you do see almost every transfer window are complaints that we're not offering enough money to attract the best players - and I'm sure that this summer will be no different. They didn't cheat us from promotion either. Losing out to Midds and then that play-off semi was probably the best thing to happen to us in the long term as it meant we went up with a much stronger squad the following year.

I suppose fans united was a long time ago now, but I still remember it well with shirts on display from every club. Seeing Brighton fans revel in the demise of one of those clubs because the owner, who has no prior links with the club or even English football, is a stubborn muppet is very uncomfortable for me.

How you behave on your way up often determines how you are treated on your way down. Looking at Owlstalk last night there were a few bellends but quite a few of them are being stoic and sensible - however, they were unbearable during the playoffs with us, They may not be bad losers but they are terrible, graceless winners.

Bottom line is that no one has bought them for £56.25 and tried to immediately sell Hillsborough for commercial property. They've tried to cheat their way financially to the Premier League and failed. Had it worked they would have been unbearable - Leeds on speed.

I don't want them to go completely out of business, but they won't, Admin and a new owner most likely. A few seasons in League One and, preferably, League Two to learn some humility while it plays out is all they deserve.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know i will get slated for this but I feel for the players and genuine supporters of the club. Yes we all like to see one time rivals, in a small period in both clubs history, struggle but come on they are in dire straights and a club with such history sorry I can't wallow in their misfortune anymore.

Oh Gauld Blimey

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not read the article but thought they were only retaining 3 players from their current squad to cut their wages bill down loads.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If three clubs merged, Wednesday, United and the oldest existing club in the world, Sheffield FC, they could call it Sheffield-Oldest-United-Wednesday. Then they could perform wedding ceremonies for older couples during Wednesday night matches, at halftime.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh come on, they won't go bust. The big clubs never do, and therefore a truly Massive one certainly won't. It would be crap if they went bust, but I doubt anybody is wishing that on their fans. Even if Chansiri drops them, some knight in shining armour will come in and save them. Probably another foreign investor with no previous known interest in English football in fact, then they'll lap it up, pronounce Champions League ambitions within five years, and so the cycle will begin again.

However. All that's happened to them currently is that they've got relegated to the third division. Big deal. It happens. Clubs go up, clubs go down. They've been relegated because they've got a terrible squad of players who managed to finish bottom of the entire Championship, behind even Wycombe Wanderers and Rotherham (yes I know they had a points deduction but they were frankly lucky it wasn't more after their outrageous accounting shenanigans that led to the punishment).

Why would I have sympathy for another club getting relegated? Being A Massive Club is not and should never be a factor in promotion or relegation, as we all agreed when the SuperLeague Six tried to carve up their own pie a few weeks ago. I've seen the Albion relegated five or six times I think, and I'd never expect fans of any other club to feel sorry for us. Sheffield Wednesday fans are not immune to relegation simply because they have 200,000 season ticket holders (have I got that right?).

As an aside, looking at the standard of players they have left, they should probably be grateful at at least half of them walking out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How you behave on your way up often determines how you are treated on your way down. Looking at Owlstalk last night there were a few bellends but quite a few of them are being stoic and sensible - however, they were unbearable during the playoffs with us, They may not be bad losers but they are terrible, graceless winners.

Bottom line is that no one has bought them for £56.25 and tried to immediately sell Hillsborough for commercial property. They've tried to cheat their way financially to the Premier League and failed. Had it worked they would have been unbearable - Leeds on speed.

I don't want them to go completely out of business, but they won't, Admin and a new owner most likely. A few seasons in League One and, preferably, League Two to learn some humility while it plays out is all they deserve.

Correct. Admin, points deduction and new owners and/or new company is the usual outcome in these situations for clubs of that size. However if they do go out of business, it isn't the end of Sheffield Wednesday F.C. merely the current legal vehicle for that name. Plenty of other clubs have gone bust, reformed and started again at the bottom - and plenty of others should have done. (Yes Leeds, Portsmouth, Palace and Leicester to name but four I'm looking at you). I'm sure the Wednesday fans will be as resourceful as those of Newport, Aldershot, Halifax, Chester, etc in starting again and working back up - and given that they're much bigger than any of those their rise will probably be quicker.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
IMG_6372.GIF.f84234c429fbc3d931caff96b5e54511.GIF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here