Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sheffield ticket chaos

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Imagine the meltdown if that happened here. There already was a meltdown without this f-up.

"Sheffield United fans looking to secure their seats for this month’s FA Cup semi-final at Wembley faced ticket chaos this morning - with supporters without season tickets able to purchase a week early.

Tickets for the final-four date with Manchester City went on sale this morning at 9am, supposedly to give a week of priority to fans who have a season ticket for the current campaign. Sales were due to open to members next Thursday, with any remaining seats going on sale a day later."

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For all the occasional angst on here about how our club behaves, it’s instances like these that demonstrate how right BHA get most things.

This cock up is monumental! They’ve either got to leave it be, refund everyone and start again, or go through a long, painful process of manually changing the outcome (including allowing those legitimate buyers who had to buy separated seats to relocate next to each other). A nightmare!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For all the occasional angst on here about how our club behaves, it’s instances like these that demonstrate how right BHA get most things.

This cock up is monumental! They’ve either got to leave it be, refund everyone and start again, or go through a long, painful process of manually changing the outcome (including allowing those legitimate buyers who had to buy separated seats to relocate next to each other). A nightmare!!
100% this.

When you hear about how other clubs sell away and Wembley tickets, our system is so much better. No surprise it was designed by TB.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
100% this.

When you hear about how other clubs sell away and Wembley tickets, our system is so much better. No surprise it was designed by TB.

Exactly. I had to wait for A+ tier 2 to get tickets because that's my eldest daughters level despite her being a STH for 8 years before this season and only couldn't continue because she's got a baby and planned on and is having no 2 this year. But no complaints from me, more than happy to get to tickets.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
no official comms on their club Twitter acknowledging the issue, does the club actually know?!
It says it was fixed by lunchtime yesterday, so I think so. More likely they're trying to figure out WTF they are going to do before releasing a communication :shrug:

I would go for cancel them all and start again (if there's time).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Wouldn’t it be quite straightforward to just cancel all tickets and start again on a new date ? I think this happened for one of our away games on a much smaller scale when people were accidentally allowed to purchase before the correct date.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It says it was fixed by lunchtime yesterday, so I think so. More likely they're trying to figure out WTF they are going to do before releasing a communication :shrug:

I would go for cancel them all and start again (if there's time).
There is no good option - but telling 34,000 people to scrub their cup SF plans and reapply seems like the worst!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Imagine if that happened here. Blimey.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
They wouldn’t have to scrub anything. Anybody not entitled to a ticket doesn’t need SF plans.

But if they got 5 tickets (which they could have done) for family and friends and booked travel, hotels or whatever when they didn't think they were going to get them, what are the club going to do when they are a member without any real history?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They use exactly the same ticketing system as us, so it's very likely human error in configuring the sales window parameters.

Fortunately, our supporter services didn't make the same mistake!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But if they got 5 tickets (which they could have done) for family and friends and booked travel, hotels or whatever when they didn't think they were going to get them, what are the club going to do when they are a member without any real history?

I suspect that shutting the ticketing operation and putting out a 'holding' communication that they may not honour the tickets when they realised yesterday lunchtime that there was a problem may have been best. But, of course, that is with hindsight :wink:

Whatever happens, there are going to be a lot of very upset people and every hour that goes by without a decision won't be helping matters :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sure, I understand. But at the end of the day they weren’t entitled to those tickets so can’t really complain. I’m more concerned about people who were entitled and miss out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
100% this.

Designed by TB? Ok happy to acknoweledge that he oversaw it, but rather think their are others at the club, who probably have more knowledge of ticketing systems.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
When it happened to us they rectified it within the same time window as Sheff U did, simply by cancelling and refunding the tickets of all those not eligible. But the difference here with Sheff U will be the digital tickets which would have been sent soon after booking.
So more difficult to cancel. Also cue all the arguments on here regarding groups split across different priority booking times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here