Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shaving subscriptions - what do you recommend?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I tend to grow a beard for 4-5 months in the winter, but still shave the edges and shave daily for the rest of the year. I buy one of those packs with a razor and 10/20 double blades from whatever supermarket I'm in and that normally lasts me a few months. I also use a bowl of shaving soap with a brush, and although the supermarkets now have a shaving section about 10 times the size when I started shaving, they seem to have stopped stocking shaving soap :shrug:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Amazon product

I have something cheaper (£200-ish) sitting in a cupboard somewhere. It was shit - small cups, never hot enough.

I realise that you can buy machines for thousands, and beans that have all been rolled on the thighs of teenage girls (or is that cigars?) but that is beyong the sanity event horizon so I won't even go there.

I am a mug of hot filter coffee man, with lactose free milk, no sugar. I have a small metal pot that sits on the ceramic hob at #3. Boling filtered water from my on-demand boiling filtered water tap percolates (or is it diffuses) through the ground coffee. From Sainsbury (I tried the cheaper Lidl coffee recently and that was a step too far). A one minute job :thumbsup:

With all due respect, and without trying to derail the thread, just because that machine costs £550, doesn’t make it “artisan”. It would probably be the last type of machine I’d personally buy, especially at that price.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I started wet shaving as I was struggling with dry skin n all that so just thought let's get rid of it once every 2 days. Lasted a while just with co op own brand disposable thingys. Then I thought time was right to buy a razor. Bought a Harry's one. I'm not going to blame the razor as such but suddenly I'm getting 4 or 5 cuts on my neck every single time. Probably opening the same ones each time. Tiny things but so weird how the dirt cheap razor was arguably shaving better for me despite the lack of flexible head n all that jazz.

Is it most likely it's so much sharper and 'closer' than the old one? Don't feel a thing when shaving, just seen the bloodbath after (which soon wipes away to leave 4 small dots)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This.

Artisan shaving is a bit like artisan coffee. Sensible folk are shifting back to fresh filter coffee at 1/10th the cost and 1/10 the inconvenience.
Ooh . . . Now I like a decent cup of coffee, and have invested in a new decent coffee machine recently. But every time I try 'beardy nerd had ground octo priced artisan burnt hoover dust' it tastes shit compared to Lavazza . . . I know what I like.

shaving . . . Its a necessary evil, I want to remove unsightly facial hair with the minimum of fuss/pain . . .why on earth would you subscribe to anything?

Recently ordered a big pack of blades from gillette uk. Job done for a few months.

I suppose it does depend on whether you have fair/fine hair or are descended from a woolly mammoth. Thankfully I'm the former, although still shave daily.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With all due respect, and without trying to derail the thread, just because that machine costs £550, doesn’t make it “artisan”. It would probably be the last type of machine I’d personally buy, especially at that price.
Go on, school me, you know you want to :wink:

(I used the word artisan in a pejorative sense rather than a technical sense; to me coffee, like wine, and unlike seafood*, needs to taste great and be freely and easily available in my house)

(*There is only one outlet between Faversham and Dover that is guaranteed to sell fresh, fish locally caught, from a wet space that doesn't smell a bit like a schoolboy's cock. Er, I think that just about completely derails the thread - whoops! :lolol: )

:thumbsup:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Go on, school me, you know you want to :wink:

(I used the word artisan in a pejorative sense rather than a technical sense; to me coffee, like wine, and unlike seafood*, needs to taste great and be freely and easily available in my house)

(*There is only one outlet between Faversham and Dover that is guaranteed to sell fresh, fish locally caught, from a wet space that doesn't smell a bit like a schoolboy's cock. Er, I think that just about completely derails the thread - whoops! :lolol: )

:thumbsup:
No I refuse to go full coffee wanker on you :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If you want to not wet shave but want an almost as close cut - get a Phillips one blade. Cheap and brilliant.

On the note of shaving, when women moan about childbirth I always tell them they have no idea what it’s like having to shave your face etc. Always goes down well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you want to not wet shave but want an almost as close cut - get a Phillips one blade. Cheap and brilliant.

On the note of shaving, when women moan about childbirth I always tell them they have no idea what it’s like having to shave your face etc. Always goes down well.
The etc. might give you some currency it it includes a pair of delicately formed and filigree-skinned testicles.

A dullard knows what I'm on about, I suspect ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The etc. might give you some currency it it includes a pair of delicately formed and filigree-skinned testicles.

A dullard knows what I'm on about, I suspect ???
Luckily the females I tend to hang out of.. sorry with, have good senses of humour. I will add bollocks to it although most already moan about fanny stuff. One of my friends had a baby and some stitches and now claims to have a designer vagina 🤦🏻‍♂️

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hair clippers set to grade zero, job done, not quite a clean shave but close enough.
Just don't do your bollards with them too unless you've got a very steady hand because they'll be claret all over the gaff and it doesnae stop. (bitter experience)

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I used Mach 3s for ages but then bought myself a double-edged safety razor. At first it looked like I'd been shaving with a bread knife but soon got the hang of it. Blades are dirt cheap:

Screenshot_20230609_143455_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here