Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shaving subscriptions - what do you recommend?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't shave very often and I've gone through all my old blades, so before I buy something from the supermarket does anyone use and recommend any of the shaving subscription services?

I'm aware of Harry's and Dollar Shave Club, but I imagine there may be others too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Buy a big slab of Mach3 blades off Amazon
This.

Artisan shaving is a bit like artisan coffee. Sensible folk are shifting back to fresh filter coffee at 1/10th the cost and 1/10 the inconvenience.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've been with Harrys for about 8 years - can't fault it. Great shave and easy to control the subscription too. I'm happy to let stubble grow and then trim using my cheap beard trimmer, so only wet shave occasionally. I've built up a surplus of blades over the years so haven't had to order any new ones for about a year. And the Stone shower gel smells fantastic.

EDIT - in fact this has just reminded me to push back my next delivery until December

Last edited:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Buy some safety razor blades and a cheap safety razor. You'll get hundreds of blades for pennies on amazon and if you don't shave often you may never need to buy razors again. Takes a bit of trial and effort to get the technique down, but once you do you won't go back. You'll draw a bit of blood at first but that's just small nicks and cuts from too much pressure, nothing that hurts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What mugs are led to believe that shaving is such an expensive process that you need a subscription?
Exactly. Blokes have shaved for centuries without the need for subscribing.

Mrs Gwylan got an introduction to Harry's a few years back but I certainly was never tempted to subscribe. For one thing, the blades were too big to shave under the nose, so I had to use my existing blades to finish the job. I was back using my trusty blades within days.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Ditched it all for an old style safety razor 🪒 and use feather blades. A pack of ten blades costs about a tenner, and each blade lasts about 6 months (at my irregular rate of shaving) - in fact I usually change it because I feel it’s been on for ages, rather than because I’ve noticed a drop-off in ability.

Bit of a bloodbath the first couple of times I used it, but you soon learn how much pressure to apply on various bits of your face. I wouldn’t go back, Gillette et al are absolutely mugging you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly. Blokes have shaved for centuries without the need for subscribing.

Mrs Gwylan got an introduction to Harry's a few years back but I certainly was never tempted to subscribe. For one thing, the blades were too big to shave under the nose, so I had to use my existing blades to finish the job. I was back using my trusty blades within days.
To be fair tho, it would be centuries before someone invented the subscription service

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Have tried many ways to avoid the rip off that is Gillette, 2 or 3 boutique/subscription plans, supermarket throwaways, Wilkinson Sword, electric shaver, Ebay etc etc. Nothing comes close.

Buy Gillette………..bastards.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I've been with Harry's for 2 years. Saves me having to think about buying new razors , they're easy to sign up to , don't spam you too much, and the products are good.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
ahhh the joys of programmatic advertising. cheers Bozza(y)
1686231400034.png

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I've just bought a pack of 50 for under a tenner. I shave every day but hey'll last me well over a year.
I probably shave either weekly, or twice weekly. The safety razor is closer than the old Gillette/Harry’s ones I used before, and I discovered (after running out) I don’t even have to use shave gel, the blade just cuts through. I need to know where you’re buying your blades from though, I’m clearly overpaying.

What puzzles me is the Gillette/Harry’s blades used to noticeably dull after a few uses. These just seem to keep on going indefinitely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here