Shaving - razor blades

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Anyone recommend some decent razor blades that get as close to the skin as possible but don't leave a rash? I only need to shave once or twice a week but am left with very sore, red skin and it feels very uncomfortable afterwards.

I've tried the best for a smooth shave and most expensive but even Gillette Fusion are painful and cost over a tenner for four blades. Each one only lasts a couple of weeks as well.

Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
King of Shaves do a monthly subscription for £4 yes £4. You get 3 blades a month and the Razor handle on first order. They do a sensitive blade too. Very reliable and always arrive in time

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Might be worth a try. The cold weather is making it feel worse as well. Ta.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Good blades and the 3 blades last a month if you shave daily. Extremely good value for a good 4 blader.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I use the Gillette sensor, the one that takes a battery and vibrates (god only knows why it does it). Anyway when I started using them I used to get 1dozen shaves at least from one blade, I reckon they reduce the quality as I am lucky now if i get 3 or 4. Con I reckon as so expensive. Might look at this king of shave subscription thingy. Anyone else use it?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The double-edged razors are good for sensitive skin, extremely sharp and cheaper in the long run... a good one to start with is the Merkur 34C.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I use the Gillette sensor, the one that takes a battery and vibrates (god only knows why it does it). Anyway when I started using them I used to get 1dozen shaves at least from one blade, I reckon they reduce the quality as I am lucky now if i get 3 or 4. Con I reckon as so expensive. Might look at this king of shave subscription thingy. Anyone else use it?

Even 2 subscriptions for £8 & 6 blades as an alternative if you are likely to use more per month

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Anyone recommend some decent razor blades that get as close to the skin as possible but don't leave a rash? I only need to shave once or twice a week but am left with very sore, red skin and it feels very uncomfortable afterwards.

I've tried the best for a smooth shave and most expensive but even Gillette Fusion are painful and cost over a tenner for four blades. Each one only lasts a couple of weeks as well.

Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Use clippers no rash.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Used to use Mach 3, and the blades would last me 3/4 shaves tops and wasn't the most comfortable shave ever. I got a free wilkinson sword hydro 5 razor and my god it's a hundred times better. Not only is it much more comfortable, a blade will last me a good 8-9 shaves. Would never go back.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009

That Gillette Sensor sounds another option but I'm not to keen on the electric ones; they tend to pull at the hairs and take longer to shave I find.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If the rash is on your neck, try shaving up instead of down. If it's your cheeks as well, try the same. I like the two bladed Sensor Excel by Gillette. I don't get on with more blades.
I should shave every day, when I do the blades last about three weeks. Try not pressing so hard, let the blade do the work.
I am no expert but have been shaving for 50 years, tried electric, (call that shaving) but started with blades with two edges, so have vast experience.
You have not been charged for this deeply researched information.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Used to use Mach 3, and the blades would last me 3/4 shaves tops and wasn't the most comfortable shave ever. I got a free wilkinson sword hydro 5 razor and my god it's a hundred times better. Not only is it much more comfortable, a blade will last me a good 8-9 shaves. Would never go back.

Mach 3 are what I use. Those Wilkinson sword hydro 5 razor sound extremely good. Have noted them down. Cheers! :)

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
A cut throat razor and a good leather strap.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
If the rash is on your neck, try shaving up instead of down. If it's your cheeks as well, try the same. I like the two bladed Sensor Excel by Gillette. I don't get on with more blades.
I should shave every day, when I do the blades last about three weeks. Try not pressing so hard, let the blade do the work.
I am no expert but have been shaving for 50 years, tried electric, (call that shaving) but started with blades with two edges, so have vast experience.
You have not been charged for this deeply researched information.

The rash is on my neck and my cheeks. Being left-handed doesn't help as they're designed more for shaving right-handed possibly? Might try the Sensor Excel though. Thanks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports