Jul 7, 2003
A genuine legend, R.I.P. Shane

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A genuine character - RIP Shane

It fits him so perfectly, that it seems almost unimaginable that DOT wasn't written by Shane Macgowan, or written about Dublin.

It was actually written by Ewan MacColl (Kirsty's Dad) about Salford (Salford football club use the Pogue's version as their walk out music - which is pretty cool).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It fits him so perfectly, that it seems almost unimaginable that DOT wasn't written by Shane Macgowan, or written about Dublin.

It was actually written by Ewan MacColl (Kirsty's Dad) about Salford (Salford football club use the Pogue's version as their walk out music - which is pretty cool).
Dirty Old Town, Waltzing Matilda, Leaving of Liverpool, Poor Paddy, Irish Rover - quite a few were not written by him. But they might as well have been!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Wasn't it only recently that he said that he's big regret was not joining the IRA in the seventies. No tears shed in chez shingle i'm afraid. Fairytale of New York great song though.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
One of those who I always had to Google whether they were still alive and be surprised at the result.

RIP to a great voice.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Fortunate that this thread wasn't merged with the other Macgowan thread, where I was cynical about his latest health scare.

I first saw the Pogues in the Powerhouse in Birmingham and ended up on stage along with about half the audience during the encore. I shook Shane's hand and offered to buy him a pint at Sussex Uni (for the record he declined) and saw them many more times in venues across London.

Many people my age have a deep love for eighties music. For me it is easily the most over rated decade. The first couple of years with New Wave and Two Tone were huge and then the lights went out. Years of style over substance only relieved by some over rated middle of the road rock acts. The sneering artistry of Shane Macgowan and Mark E Smith kept me sane.

The Pogues had a style and a sound of their own, much to my relief. Not quite punk enough, not quite Irish enough but a riot live and slowly people began to realise just what a great songwriter Shane Macgowan really was. Success didn't come easy. Listen again to Fairytale of New York and imagine hearing it for the first time. Shane's gruff tuneless delivery of the first couple of lines, caused many at the time to dismiss it as something of a novelty record. In later years he was welcomed to the top table of Irish musicians and collaborated widely, despite years of being derided as faux Irish folk.

With Europa League qualificatiuon taken care of, I am planning an evening listening to the entire Pogues/Shane Macgowan and the Popes back catalogue, washed down with Whiskey RIP.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
With Europa League qualificatiuon taken care of, I am planning an evening listening to the entire Pogues/Shane Macgowan and the Popes back catalogue, washed down with Whiskey RIP.
I poured a large Jamesons at half time. I'll say it was in tribute to Shane, but in truth our performance drove me to it.

Coincidentally there was a Pogues tribute act on in Lewes last weekend, so it felt like we'd done the tribute a few days early. It's the second time I've seen them and they do a good show. The singer doesn't try to do Shane, but sometimes when you saw the real Pogues live, Shane didn't do Shane either. It doesn't seem to matter when the crowd knows every word. They're back in Brighton next March just before St Patrick's night and playing Eastbourne and Worthing in June and November. No venues detailed yet, but the last Brighton one was at the Concorde2 with a Thin Lizzy tribute band..

I've been laughing at my younger self who refused to go to see the Pogues when they toured without Shane, but with Strummer. What a precious little idiot. - and I'd never seen The Clash. As you get older, you realise that these shows are less about the performances of individuals and more about being in a room full of people who are moved by the songs. At some point I might be relaxed enough to go and see a Kimless Pixies. - Still not there yet, but trying.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
RIP to a flawed genius whose fantastic body of work deserves far more recognition. My daughter and I used to play Pogues CDs in the car when she was really too young to be listening to some of those lyrics! But it did her no harm and twenty-odd years on she still knows and loves those amazing tracks! Thanks for the memory of that time, Shane..........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps, now we are over 50 posts, is the time to mention that an ex-GF of mine shagged him in the early 80s. Hung like a horse, apparently. :ohmy:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh, and he didn't always sing in an Irish accent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here