Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Shane Macgowan RIP

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
One of my favourite songs of all time, but one he himself didn't like that much. It was pulled out of a bin of discarded lyrics and notation by Nick Cave after a night of drinking, who liking the lyrics insisted it was recorded. A fantastic lyricist and storyteller, I wonder what other gems he threw away?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My friend met him in a pub in Sutton about 15 years ago and spent the evening with him and his friends. She shared some incredible photos on Facebook as the night unfolded!

Apparently he was given 6 months to live in the early nineties during a dark time in his life so quite some innings considering

RIP

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Only saw the Pogues twice. Both times were complete chaos with the occasionl outburst of decent music.
The second of three times that I saw them was at the Brixton Academy on St Patrick's Day 1987. Somehow on that day all the stars briefly aligned: just the right amount of Guinness in the crowd for us to be up for it and adoring; just the right amount of whisk(e)y in Shane for him to be able to remember the lyrics and sing them properly; and the band in just the right frame of mind to play brilliantly throughout...

One for the ages.

The other two times that I saw them: dismal, a complete mess

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
My friend met him in a pub in Sutton about 15 years ago and spent the evening with him and his friends. She shared some incredible photos on Facebook as the night unfolded!

Apparently he was given 6 months to live in the early nineties during a dark time in his life so quite some innings considering

RIP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_131040_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_131040_Facebook.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 45

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
The bane of Christmas shop workers everywhere. :wink:

R,S and T L a peerless classic album. Lucky enough to see them live at the Brixton Academy way back. A music legend with a lifestyle that in some ways transcended addiction in terms of hygiene and stuff, his lack of caring for his appearance, publicly picking his nose and then smearing bogies on anything close to hand, his dental stuff etc. I’ve known and know addicts and alcoholics, and none have gone down that road, I guess it was his ‘don’t give a f***’ outlook in many ways. Either way, an utterly unique individual/tour de force. RIP.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I thought this might be coming with the recent stories of him coming out of hospital. He was an addict and his addiction swallowed his gift, but for a period it also fuelled it. Of course he's remembered every year for the Christmas hit, but if you don't know the rest of his work, you're losing out. For me he wrote poetry like no other songwriter of his generation. He was steeped in history and lived in the places he wrote about. He could paint you a sparkling diamond in a sewer like nobody else. Sure, like Peter Cook they'll be chin stroking tributes written that ask what he could have done without the addiction, but that is a moot point and should never overshadow the gifts that he has left us with.

Here's to you Shane. Will you stick ya head back out and shout we'll have another round?

"Fare the well, gone away, there's nothing left to say
With a slainte Joe and Erin go."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure anyone would have expected that - but then no-one would expect Kirsty MacColl to die the way she did.
Indeed. That wasn’t really what I meant though. More that, at the time she died, in 2000, nobody would have foreseen Shane clocking up another 20+ years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here