Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexy goal nets where they all gone ?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It's a pleasure I'm just glad I'm not the only geek on NSC

I think someone should write an article for TSLR or something about this, it's the sort of stuff that, once you think about it, has disappeared from football gradually over the years. It's only when someone actually mentions it that you take notice and think "oh shit, I hadn't even realised". THAT'S what makes this thread so interesting, the fact that such a small part of football can actually be missed so much when it's gone. It's the same with "old" grounds, compared to the new flatpack ones. I've become such a old football ground gimp, looking at old pictures from decades ago. And don't even get me started on kit's.... :D

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I think someone should write an article for TSLR or something about this, it's the sort of stuff that, once you think about it, has disappeared from football gradually over the years. It's only when someone actually mentions it that you take notice and think "oh shit, I hadn't even realised". THAT'S what makes this thread so interesting, the fact that such a small part of football can actually be missed so much when it's gone. It's the same with "old" grounds, compared to the new flatpack ones. I've become such a old football ground gimp, looking at old pictures from decades ago. And don't even get me started on kit's.... :D
nostalgia is a wonderful thing everything seems better in the world of nostalgia

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think ought to keep white nets at the Amex.

Albion Rob

This may have already been said but I think the big change for nets in this country came at Euro 96. Before then it was the old school nets at Wembley but Alan Shearer's goal v Switzerland hit one of the big square nets which is now so popular.

For me, the old nets at the Goldstone where the stanchion was about a foot below the crossbar were great.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think someone should write an article for TSLR or something about this, it's the sort of stuff that, once you think about it, has disappeared from football gradually over the years. It's only when someone actually mentions it that you take notice and think "oh shit, I hadn't even realised".:D

Like players wearing their socks round their ankles, as per Keith Houchen in the 1987 Cup Final photo below.

Or teams coming out of the tunnel one at a time.

Or players getting fouled & getting on with it rather than clutching random "injured" parts of their anatomy.

Or perms.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Or keepers all wearing green jerseys & no gloves ( just a bit of spit on the hands )
Or standing on a terrace with all your mates ( no one shouting SIT DOWN !!!)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Like players wearing their socks round their ankles, as per Keith Houchen in the 1987 Cup Final photo below.

Or teams coming out of the tunnel one at a time.

Or players getting fouled & getting on with it rather than clutching random "injured" parts of their anatomy.

Or perms.

where's the photo!?

The worst ones were always at Palace & Southampton (the Dell), which were far too shallow to allow a satisfactory net-busting experience. They should have shortened the pitch by a yard or so to allow for a deeper goal net. Typical stupid Palace. They'll probably introduce goal music next.

Oh.

Didn't Palace used to have a white board running all around the bottom of the net in the early seventies ? - a bit like a hockey goal.

To be fair to Southampton they hardly had the room to hang a net.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
White with a very close mesh and a stanchion has always been my preference. There is a photo of Lammie Robertson celebrating an early 70s goal in front of one of these at the Goldstone in the North Stand concourse.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Can't find a pic but I love the deep nets as used in Mexico '86.

I HATE those black nets as used by Man City. Very unsexy. You can't even see the bulge!

images

Exactly. Imagine what Aguero's goal would've been like if you could see the net ripple.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Jonathan Wilson wrote about it in When Saturday Comes about 18 months ago.

THE HISTORY OF GOAL NETS: Jonathan Wilson @ WSC - The Joy of Nets

Then there's this ...

Update Your Browser | Facebook

Last edited:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The best ripple of a ball in the net has to be Terry McDermott for Liverpool against borussia monchengladbach 77 European cup
Classic goal classic nets look it up on YouTube

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I liked the close mest white nets we had in the early 70's and also the blue & qhite nets we've also had.

In modern times, my fav nets are at yeovi the green & white checks.l

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The St James Park loop design

nufcgoal.png

The loop design are back
Tonight Bradford v arsenal absolute beauty of a net can't wait for the ball to nestle in one of those beauties
Or even a Trevor Brooking shot that gets stuck in the loop
Old fashioned nets are back yeesssssss!!!!

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Bit disappointed in the first goal TBH too much tension in the net instead of rippling down the back of the onion bag it rebounded out
Mind you Bradford 1 Aresnal 0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here