Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Seriously, this government is failing us. Schools closing...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/feb/28/school-stockport-close-early-fridays-lack-funding

Get them out. This is the 6th wealthiest country in the world and schools are closing early as they cannot afford to stay open. Schools. Think about that.

I wish people would stop trotting out 'this is the 6th wealthiest...'

It means nothing if the vast majority of that wealth is tied up in a tiny minorities elite offshore accounts whether they're individuals or corporates. Fact is we don't have enough money in the pot - that's raised from those of us who do pay taxes - to pay for the enormous costs of welfare, health, education, defence, infrastructure and everything else. Unquestionably we should have. But we don't. That's why I don't want more and more people coming to this country because our government promises more than it can actually deliver simply because it's too weak or disinclined to raise the required revenues from 'the elite'. Meaning we, the existing and ever expanding peasantry, get poorer (in a relative sense) every year and will continue to do so as more dependents take out and less contributors put in. Selfish as this may seem. But then I gave up pursuing egalitarianism, reality is we're all in a race called life which most of us have little control over and it's hard enough taking care of nearest and dearest let alone anyone else.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wish people would stop trotting out 'this is the 6th wealthiest...'

It means nothing if the vast majority of that wealth is tied up in a tiny minorities elite offshore accounts whether they're individuals or corporates. Fact is we don't have enough money in the pot - that's raised from those of us who do pay taxes - to pay for the enormous costs of welfare, health, education, defence, infrastructure and everything else. Unquestionably we should have. But we don't. That's why I don't want more and more people coming to this country because our government promises more than it can actually deliver simply because it's too weak or disinclined to raise the required revenues from 'the elite'. Meaning we, the existing and ever expanding peasantry, get poorer (in a relative sense) every year and will continue to do so as more dependents take out and less contributors put in. Selfish as this may seem. But then I gave up pursuing egalitarianism, reality is we're all in a race called life which most of us have little control over and it's hard enough taking care of nearest and dearest let alone anyone else.

So we shouldn’t be able to afford to school our children?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yet we're can still find £4.2B to waste on no deal Brexit planning.

Failed government

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

No, I’m serious. That’s what you took away from the OP? The phrasing? Fact is the U.K. should be able to afford to school it’s youth regardless of irrelevant anecdotes about your attitude to egalitarianism. No need to chuck insults about.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Whilst the latter is a good example of grade inflation, (and you are right in that it just shows that universities, like exam boards, want to attract by giving good grades) your first assertion is not as accurate. Ofsted do check on measurable standards, such as value added progress, and they can be preceptive in their observations and recommendations. I was teaching when inspections took a whole week involving possibly 10 inspectors and no stone was left unturned. However, and I think this is what you are getting at, there are other measures of education, which they do not always pick up on, and which can skew their final assessment.
I have no faith whatsoever in Ofsted since they gave a so-called "Outstanding" rating to our local new free school before it had even had any exam results and teachers who worked there were open about major shortcomings in quality of provision.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
They pay uni’s and landlords.

But do they pay a full whack of PAYE and NIC through full time employment to pay for schools/GP’s/roads/hospitals. No.

Not saying they should pay, but they are still people part of our population.

Universities are huge employers and in some towns and cities that otherwise wouldn't have much to them at all. The vast majority of people that work at universities are local to the area.

Students also spend vast amounts of money locally.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Universities are huge employers and in some towns and cities that otherwise wouldn't have much to them at all. The vast majority of people that work at universities are local to the area.

Students also spend vast amounts of money locally.

No one’s talking about universities per se, you need to re-read the thread.

I’m as big a fan as uni’s as you, having been to one. Proud of Sussex and Brighton Uni’s, and the global standing of so many of our uni’s.

The specific chat was whether overseas students should be included in numbers entering the UK stats, adding to strain on infrastructure/public resources. A poster did, another posted questioned their inclusion, then I gave my opinion why they should.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Heard a good one from a mate in Huddersfield

Year two have trips to a local farm and also a local aquarium as it is in a pretty deprived area. It is their only chance to get close to animals/ fish etc. Anyway, they have been doing this for years now and everyone looks forward to it. The school has 3 year two classes so around 90 kids. The school sets on a teacher, who is not in managerial position, but this teacher is a vegan. She went to the governors, over the head of everyone , and got them to ban the trips to the farm and the aquarium as it offended her beliefs and set a bad example.....and the school gave in and now after all those years has banned the trips! So these inner city kids will not get a trip out!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Year two have trips to a local farm and also a local aquarium as it is in a pretty deprived area. It is their only chance to get close to animals/ fish etc. Anyway, they have been doing this for years now and everyone looks forward to it. The school has 3 year two classes so around 90 kids. The school sets on a teacher, who is not in managerial position, but this teacher is a vegan. She went to the governors, over the head of everyone , and got them to ban the trips to the farm and the aquarium as it offended her beliefs and set a bad example.....and the school gave in and now after all those years has banned the trips! So these inner city kids will not get a trip out!

oh that is SO sh*t!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Students also spend vast amounts of their parents'money locally.

Let me correct that for you

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No one’s talking about universities per se, you need to re-read the thread.

I’m as big a fan as uni’s as you, having been to one. Proud of Sussex and Brighton Uni’s, and the global standing of so many of our uni’s.

The specific chat was whether overseas students should be included in numbers entering the UK stats, adding to strain on infrastructure/public resources. A poster did, another posted questioned their inclusion, then I gave my opinion why they should.

I was talking about the immigration figures which includes foreign students. Surrey Phil was trying to say immigrants were causing the schooling crisis when it is chronic underfunding from this government.
Austerity is the cause. We are paying as much tax and NI as we were 10 years ago, but public spending is going further and further down.
Fewer police, firefighters, nhs workers, court workers, solicitors in the justice system, legal aid etc
What is this government doing with our money?

Wasting it on their pet Brexit.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I was talking about the immigration figures which includes foreign students. Surrey Phil was trying to say immigrants were causing the schooling crisis when it is chronic underfunding from this government.
Austerity is the cause. We are paying as much tax and NI as we were 10 years ago, but public spending is going further and further down.
Fewer police, firefighters, nhs workers, court workers, solicitors in the justice system, legal aid etc
What is this government doing with our money?

Wasting it on their pet Brexit

Isn't this just so sadly typical of NSC-just hit out with your favourite obsession.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Hhmm. Huddersfield is not a city, it is a large town. You only need to get on a bus for 15 minutes in any direction to see sheep on the hills, eg Holmfirth is just seven miles out of the town centre.
There is a community farm at Berry Brown and Canon Hall is just an hours drive away.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have no faith whatsoever in Ofsted since they gave a so-called "Outstanding" rating to our local new free school before it had even had any exam results and teachers who worked there were open about major shortcomings in quality of provision.

Do you have intimate knowledge of the school, or were you ready to listen to anecdotal evidence that happened to fit your narrative? When the school was inspected, surely Ofsted knew that it did not have any exam results to factor in and that would have been taken into account? Having said that, I too don't have total confidence in ofsted -the two inspections that I suffered involved me in a 11-16 comprehensive and the first subject inspector came from Brighton College, coincidentally, and the other from a Sixth Form College. Yet, my not too good personal experience, should not mean that ofsted does not do good work, or that their findings are necessarily inaccurate -afterall no one likes to be criticised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here