Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously overrated players

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I guess we have to include CMS in this bracket.

He ran around a lot and had great hair, and that can go a long way in harbouring a fans affections.

I wholeheartedly agree. The lustre and thickness of a player's hair can often make you blind to their lack of talent. And conversely the sublime skills of a player with lank, thinning locks are often seriously overlooked.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
CMS Had one good season with Peterborough. Apart from very few occasions all he did was run around and get praised on here for doing so.
JFC So much potential when first played. Once established never seen a midfielder play so many games and contribute so little.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Kusczak.

I liked him and he could make some top drawer saves but he made a good number of mistakes which were often masked by how great a team we were at the time (Gus' final year and Oscar's season). His Champion's League winner's medal really was not indicative of his talent. Stockdale outclasses him in professionalism, rapport with the fans, shot-stopping, penalty saving and aerial ability.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Can I just add Christian Walton to the list. Nice lad, good keeper and could be a star of the future but the "Walton for England" chants on his debut were a bit excessive weren't they? :lol:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Marcos Painter, personally. Thought he was our best player in L1 when we won the league. Was confident he'd step up and take the championship in his stride. Sadly, being the worlds slowest man meant he never really stood a chance and his lack of pace was exploited time and time again.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Richard Carpenter.

On what basis? Tough tackling, good passing, hard-shooting, all-action player, who was the midfield lynchpin of several years of relative success for us. Belongs to a different BHA era and, granted, possibly wouldn't make the cut in our team now, but one of my favourite Albion players.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Marcos Painter, personally. Thought he was our best player in L1 when we won the league. Was confident he'd step up and take the championship in his stride. Sadly, being the worlds slowest man meant he never really stood a chance and his lack of pace was exploited time and time again.

Did many people over-rate him, though? I think most would see him for what he was: a good League 1 / lower championship player.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
If it's Stockade this season vs. Kusczak in his final season, yes, agreed - Stockade every time. If it's Stockade last season vs. Kusczak under Poyet, I would take Kusczak.

Overall, I'd say the two are very closely matched. I wouldn't particularly say that TK was overrated - he just happened to have a dip in form in his last few months with us (including the howler at Forest).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only on Loan but Robin Savage. Played against Leicester and he just strolled around 2.0 down half time when and I forget who it was but manager had balls to take him off. We won 3.2

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Dunk for me.

I know I know. He's been better recently but still have my heart in my mouth when he gets the ball and still prone to serious lapses in concentration. And he's 24 now, so not really in the ranks of promising any more and looks 2nd best compared to Goldson in every game.

I for one would be happy if we sold him. Don't think he'd cut it in the Premiership.

If you are serious then I am going to nominate Lowro and Wardy.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Shall I do it then?

Vicente: The most skilled player to ever play for the Albion but by the time he got to us and absolute injury liability. He also turned us completely one dimensional when he was on the pitch. The tactics changed to 'give the ball to that fella, watch him run with it.'

And he clearly had a ****ing massive sulk when he was forced to stay.

Not that I ever minded, really.

I'm glad you posted that as you can now take most of the flak, but I completely agree with you. IMHO, we always looked worse as a team when he played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here