Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously overrated players

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doe the OP say by the fans? Obviously somebody at the club overrated him somewhat.
Fair enough.

No wait, I meant this:
Obviously you can include any player we've signed who didn't make the grade here as over-rated, after all someone must have rated them to be signed in the first place. But there is a massive difference between Harley and Dobbie, who were shit and a majority of fans saw this quite quickly, and your Paddy McCourts who was still being mentioned as deserving a chance despite never having shown anything in any of his previous appearances.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Buckley.

Great on his day, but never fit enough regularly enough to be truly rated.

In a 15 matches, you would get average, average, good, good, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT GREAT, injured, OUT, OUT, OUT, OUT, OUT, OUT and repeat every 15 games.

Not enough GREAT games to be rated as highly as some did.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Don't think you can put CMS into this category at all really. He was actually often very good before getting ruined by injury DESPITE playing in a team that didn't play to his strengths at all.

Yes, overall his time with us was a disappointment (mainly due to the injuries) but overrated, no.

I'd say more the opposite with the amount of stick he gets and the general opinion on here that he never did anything for us and was crap.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Buckley.

In a 15 matches, you would get average, average, good, good, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT GREAT, injured, OUT, OUT, OUT, OUT, OUT, OUT and repeat every 15 games.

Not enough GREAT games to be rated as highly as some did.

Buckley was a flat track bully. As good as he was against the likes of Dan Harding, Jose Enrique in the Liverpool Cup away game had him in his pocket.

Given he is now only the bench at Birmingham, it may well be his years with us were as good as it gets.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
CMS is a tricky one. There's no doubting the fact that his spell with us was ultimately disappointing, but he was clearly a very good player before he joined us (given his goalscoring record at Peterborough). The issue was that we never really played a system that actually played to his strengths.

Well, we inevitably overrated him because of the bucketloads of goals he scored in the 3rd division, and so we sat back and waited for him to reproduce that in the stripes. He just never managed to transfer anything like that goalscoring prowess to a higher level. Yes there were injuries that curtailed him, and you could argue we didn't play to his strengths. But when a chance DID present itself in front of goal, he generally showed all the calm and composure of a rabbit in front of an 18-wheeler. Probably because he knew his next chance wouldn't come along until 3 or 4 games later.

I overrated CMS for far too long, looking for something that I thought was there, but turned out wasn't. Christ, he can't even score in the 4th division now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Shall I do it then?

Vicente: The most skilled player to ever play for the Albion but by the time he got to us and absolute injury liability. He also turned us completely one dimensional when he was on the pitch. The tactics changed to 'give the ball to that fella, watch him run with it.'

And he clearly had a ****ing massive sulk when he was forced to stay.

Not that I ever minded, really.

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think Hoskins can count for me here as he's more a 'what could have been' than 'never had a hope of being, because he was toss'.

Now, Harley and Dobbie could be included (as could the lumbering clown that was Kemy) except they were all rightly judged to be cack pretty quickly into their careers. At this point, anyone who believes that Kemy actually is a football player would be guilty of over-rating him.

I will instead plump for Craig Noone. There's no doubt that he could be an exciting player and had some great moments for us but his final ball was quite often fairly woeful. Add to that his bloody awful corner taking and I don't think he's a player we ever really missed (despite him popping up on all the 'let's re-sign [ex-player]' threads last year).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CMS is a tricky one. There's no doubting the fact that his spell with us was ultimately disappointing, but he was clearly a very good player before he joined us (given his goalscoring record at Peterborough). The issue was that we never really played a system that actually played to his strengths.

No team ever did play to CMS 'strengths' tho, apart from clown team Peterborough who used to score a hundred goals and concede a hundred goals in the same season. Most of us grew out of playing kick'n'rush by year seven.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Buckley.

I don't think injured players count. He was highly rated on his ability when fit. No one is saying he played well when he was injured / recovering from injury.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Shall I do it then?

Vicente: The most skilled player to ever play for the Albion but by the time he got to us and absolute injury liability. He also turned us completely one dimensional when he was on the pitch. The tactics changed to 'give the ball to that fella, watch him run with it.'

BURN him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I will instead plump for Craig Noone. There's no doubt that he could be an exciting player and had some great moments for us but his final ball was quite often fairly woeful. Add to that his bloody awful corner taking and I don't think he's a player we ever really missed (despite him popping up on all the 'let's re-sign [ex-player]' threads last year).

That's a GREAT shout.

Trademark Special Move: Beating the fullback 3 times, then slicing the ball into the crowd. And the less said about his shooting the better - unless you were sitting somewhere in the stand behind the goal, in which case you should say "watch yourself.....he's winding one up".

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That's a GREAT shout.

Trademark Special Move: Beating the fullback 3 times, then slicing the ball into the crowd. And the less said about his shooting the better - unless you were sitting somewhere in the stand behind the goal, in which case you should say "watch yourself.....he's winding one up".

Ta muchly.

That sounds about right, he was so frustrating in that his dribbling ability really was very good, which is what most seem to remember as his surges did get the crowd going, but everything else was a bit...lacking.

Those corners will haunt me until the end of time. Or I die. Whichever comes first.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Shall I do it then?

Heresy! Enemy of football! Other angry ranting phrases!

(though the sulk part seems pretty much spot on)

Boo you. Boo.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That's a GREAT shout.

BUT he did provide the assist for THAT Buckley goal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BUT he did provide the assist for THAT Buckley goal

Yup. Best thing he ever did in an Albion shirt.

My view of him is jaundiced by the nauseating FAWNING he did over Liverpool when we drew them at Anfield in the Cup. He was like an 11 year old kid, totally in awe of them and "Stevie" of course.

Blurgh.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Dunk for me.

I know I know. He's been better recently but still have my heart in my mouth when he gets the ball and still prone to serious lapses in concentration. And he's 24 now, so not really in the ranks of promising any more and looks 2nd best compared to Goldson in every game.

I for one would be happy if we sold him. Don't think he'd cut it in the Premiership.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Yup. Best thing he ever did in an Albion shirt.

My view of him is jaundiced by the nauseating FAWNING he did over Liverpool when we drew them at Anfield in the Cup. He was like an 11 year old kid, totally in awe of them and "Stevie" of course.

Blurgh.

haha, I had forgotten about that. How many times did we have to hear that he did Stevies roof?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here