Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter 'It's all the British fault'.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I find it astonishing that a World Cup could be awarded to Qatar, with its class discrimination-based on race, and then the chief of FIFA accuse others of being racists.

The antics of this organisation would be the stuff of comedy if it wasn't so serious.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The final straw he appears to be clutching at is the one taboo subject he thinks the world will back away from and he will avoid the investigation he knows will finish him and his big pocketed chums. Hopefully common sense and the truth will prevail... Sadly I somehow doubt it will.

I believe it's a matter of record that Blatter actually voted for the USA.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I find it astonishing that a World Cup could be awarded to Qatar, with its class discrimination-based on race, and then the chief of FIFA accuse others of being racists.

The antics of this organisation would be the stuff of comedy if it wasn't so serious.

Blatter famously told gays to refrain from sexual activity in Qatar. Perhaps people could also refrain from being black and there won't be any problems. Makes perfect sense.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Of course it is, we are also the ones who hijacked the game from China. The man is a master of guff, manipulation and corruption.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
But to be fair, whilst I would love an alternative to FIFA and UEFA, is all of this just a British thing or are other countries as disenfranchised as us?

I actually think we could be on our own, and the nightmare that is Sepp Blatter, is perceived as just a lovable Uncle in Europe.......

Any of our foreign supporters any idea?

I know many, many Swiss people and they are totally embarrassed by the behaviour of Blatter. If he appears at an event in public he is always roundly booed. They know he is leading a ridiculous organisation where the members are all in it together and perpetuate the problem.

Today's nonsense that it is all racist is another political ploy to keep the Africans on his side. Blatter had no problem with Bin Hammam until it was becoming clear that he might beat him in the election for President. Suddenly, there are revelations of corruption against Bin Hammam. Then Blatter didn't claim any racism, did he ?

World football will be better off when the corruption has gone - but it is so endemic and self-perpetuating that it will not change overnight - nor while Blatter is tolerated when he comes out with all of this guff.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
And are killing more foreign workers than any other country awarded the finals. Racism ? .... They have the rights on that at the moment as well.

Odd that this fact seems unworthy of comment. Admitted death toll among construction workers so far, 1000. I repeat 1000 dead. And plenty more construction to come, so plenty more dead. If the Qatar WC goes ahead, they will literally be playing football on the graves of thousands of people. Sickening. Incidentally, the number of deaths of construction workers for the 2012 London Olympics, zero. Blatter clearly doesn't give a flying f**k though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry, much as I'd like to think things will change, I just can't see it. The sponsors will kick up a fuss but it will all be smoothed over with some new deal. The corruption allegations are already being blamed on a hostile British (and English-language-speaking) press, while the tub of whitewash is being prepared.

The trouble is, Blatter made his name (and gets his power from) the African, Asian and Pacific countries - the ones who make up the bulk of the FIFA committee. Throw in the energy deals that benefit France and Germany and there's not much opposition within the organisation

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
It might also be worth recalling that the odious and corrupt Jack Warner released an e-mail in 2011 in which the FIFA General secretary (and who remains the FIFA General Secretary) alleged that Qatar bought the World Cup. FIFA themselves are more than well aware of what happened - so to condemn evidence published by the English as racist is definitely clutching at straws. Valcke confirms that his e-mail was genuine. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...g-Qatar-bought-2022-World-Cup-is-genuine.html

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sorry, much as I'd like to think things will change, I just can't see it. The sponsors will kick up a fuss but it will all be smoothed over with some new deal. The corruption allegations are already being blamed on a hostile British (and English-language-speaking) press, while the tub of whitewash is being prepared.

The trouble is, Blatter made his name (and gets his power from) the African, Asian and Pacific countries - the ones who make up the bulk of the FIFA committee. Throw in the energy deals that benefit France and Germany and there's not much opposition within the organisation

I would certainly question whether the French and Spanish would support an inquiry into corruption because their Clubs seem to be part of the problem at UEFA level and there is strong political influence behind the scenes. I guess Blatter and Platini would hope to isolate the 'British'. You have to expect that the Russians and Qataris would join them. Who knows where else this could extend to?

We have to hope that the US and Aussie football associations and their media will stand with us and resist any attempts to discredit us as dissenters. This could get very political and go well beyond football. The lawyers will have a field day and I fear that Blatter will look for a deal in return for stepping down. I agree it will helpful if the sponsors stand firm in their demands for an investigation, however if they bottle it, then FIFA could still have the last laugh. However if FIFA fail to take this seriously then I could see various national associations breaking away.

Blatter and Co. should be fairly high profile over the next month or so in Brazil - so less easy to hide from the media, no doubt they will resist this. It should be interesting to see if the media can flush him out and put him on the spot.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We have to hope that the US and Aussie football associations and their media will stand with us and resist any attempts to discredit us as dissenters. ... However if FIFA fail to take this seriously then I could see various national associations breaking away.

They may well do but there are just three representatives from those countries on the FIFA committee and even if they pull in the other commonwealth countries, the remainder would have a massive majority. I really can't see a breakaway organisation of a dozen members having much clout in the footballing world.

No, the only chance is the sponsors and I really think Blatter will smooth that one over

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
That clear facts are that Blatter is a corrupt weasely horrible back handing cu*t and his team team of bully boy bullsh**ers are backed up by the big sponsors and political piss ants means that unless the majority of people are prepared strike out! the will will remain.

Our undying love of the basic ball game holds no power whatsoever. Cun*s the like Blatter knows how to hold his own and the filthy money he makes simply engulfs our passion for it.

Football is dead, long live the Dollar sign

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
If we left FIFA I guess they would ban all foreign players from English sides playing for their national sides.

Causing them to leave and go and play in countries who toe the FIFA line.

In a very short space of time British football would be a vastly inferior product than it is today.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
They may well do but there are just three representatives from those countries on the FIFA committee and even if they pull in the other commonwealth countries, the remainder would have a massive majority. I really can't see a breakaway organisation of a dozen members having much clout in the footballing world.

No, the only chance is the sponsors and I really think Blatter will smooth that one over

I agree that Blatter will use all his influence to isolate the dissenters, while looking to pacify the sponsors. Ok he has proved to be very slippery when previous allegations surfaced but as least this time the questions are being asked by parties well beyond just the British media. Yes it will need one or two blue chip sponsors to walk away combined with a legal challenge from English speaking football associations before it is likely that any earth moving changes happen at FIFA etc. My fear is that the outcome will be a fudge - but hope I am wrong!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My idea would be for, say, 16 major footballing nations to announce that they either won't enter the qualifying competition for the 2022 World Cup or will field under-21 teams, and will instead be taking part in a summer tournament in the USA (which I believe came second in the 2022 voting). Their domestic leagues could then announce that they will not be having a winter break while the World Cup takes place.

Fifa will no doubt threaten them with expulsion, but if they stick together, what can Fifa do? Even if some of the South American countries stay with Fifa, they won't have a TV rights or sponsorship package of any value without Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, USA, Portugal, Sweden, Mexico and England. And the breakaway group might find a few other countries wanting to join their summer tournament. Some of the African nations might well decide that they don't want to be left out, even if some of their executives were in favour of the Qatar bid.

So while Blatter, Platini and the rest bake in Qatar watching Chad v Sri Lanka in the first January World Cup final, Albion's 2021-22 Premier League campaign will proceed unhindered and we can look forward to a pleasant trip to the States at the end of the season to see Solly, Rohan and our other England boys do their stuff in stadiums not built by slave labour.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
My idea would be for, say, 16 major footballing nations to announce that they either won't enter the qualifying competition for the 2022 World Cup or will field under-21 teams, and will instead be taking part in a summer tournament in the USA (which I believe came second in the 2022 voting). Their domestic leagues could then announce that they will not be having a winter break while the World Cup takes place.

Fifa will no doubt threaten them with expulsion, but if they stick together, what can Fifa do? Even if some of the South American countries stay with Fifa, they won't have a TV rights or sponsorship package of any value without Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, USA, Portugal, Sweden, Mexico and England. And the breakaway group might find a few other countries wanting to join their summer tournament. Some of the African nations might well decide that they don't want to be left out, even if some of their executives were in favour of the Qatar bid.

So while Blatter, Platini and the rest bake in Qatar watching Chad v Sri Lanka in the first January World Cup final, Albion's 2021-22 Premier League campaign will proceed unhindered and we can look forward to a pleasant trip to the States at the end of the season to see Solly, Rohan and our other England boys do their stuff in stadiums not built by slave labour.

Seeing as the thumbs up has gone all I can say to this post is

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

That would be incredible.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My idea would be for, say, 16 major footballing nations to announce that they either won't enter the qualifying competition for the 2022 World Cup or will field under-21 teams, and will instead be taking part in a summer tournament in the USA (which I believe came second in the 2022 voting)...

Even if some of the South American countries stay with Fifa, they won't have a TV rights or sponsorship package of any value without Germany, Holland, Argentina, Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, USA, Portugal, Sweden, Mexico and England.

Much as I'd like to see this happen, the facts are that Germany and France were two of the strongest supporters of the Qatar deal. And Blatter would love to South America and Europe off against each other so Brazil, Argentina (which is no friend of the UK) and Mexico would stay in the family.

As I've said, I can't see many of the football federations joining the rebellion, it's the sponsors or nothing

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

If that's your manifesto for a bid to be President of the break away football associations then you will get my vote, just tell me how big a bung is needed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

It is this, or something like this template, that is required. Some real backbone and something that hits them where it hurts, their power and their money. And I would certainly add sponsor withdrawal, or threat of withdrawal, to that. But the talking has to stop, people have got to start acting and doing something to bring Blatter and Fifa to their knees/senses/both.

One thing is for sure, you know what is going to be the result of this Michael Garcia investigation - absolutely nothing of any consequence. There will be more blame put on the (already banned) Bin Hammam as a convenient scapegoat, more railing against the British media who dared to expose these things, and no tough measures or sanctions against Qatar or any of the administrators in Africa or elsewhere thought to have taken cash.

No real change will ever come from Fifa, ever, without a gun being held to its head and the trigger half-pulled. You knew that from the moment Jack Warner was forced to resign but declared by Blatter as "innocent" despite the wealth of evidence against him, with bribery charges dropped. Forget a Fifa ban, Warner should be in prison.

My prediction for the Garcia probe is that following an exhaustive investigation every leader of an African football federation will be cleared and receive a free holiday in a seven-star Qatar hotel for up to 10 members of their family, together with a diamond-encrusted watch as a memento of the whitewash, err sorry, report. They will also each be handed the keys to a Ferrari, a bonus for the stress caused by the nasty British press asking suck awkward questions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here