Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepp Blatter 'It's all the British fault'.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It isn't just the British who are suggesting that FIFA's process was corrupt. As mentioned on another related thread the US and Australian football associations are waiting in the wings to sue FIFA for every penny. They spent serious sums on their World Cup bids and now want this fully investigated. They want blood too.

Then there are the various sponsors of the World Cup whose reputations are potentially compromised by their association with FIFA if there is any substance to the allegations of corruption. FIFA could be well and truly broken if this gets to court.

Maybe it explains why Blatter is doing what he can to divert the blame. He has now played the alleged racism card and therefore I suggest the British media et all should welcome this and invite a full and transparent investigation - but also bring on a complete examination of FIFA too. The allegations of corruption going back many years indicate an institutional problem within FIFA and there must be something to this, especially now the major sponsors are asking serious questions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But to be fair, whilst I would love an alternative to FIFA and UEFA, is all of this just a British thing or are other countries as disenfranchised as us?

I actually think we could be on our own, and the nightmare that is Sepp Blatter, is perceived as just a lovable Uncle in Europe.......

Any of our foreign supporters any idea?

I've just had a look at a couple of French and German sites and there's not a mention of Blatter and corruption on the Sports pages. I really do think this is a British thing - that's why Blatter is always specifying the British media

EDIT. Just seen the above post and that's right. I didn't know about Australia but there are certainly some US media outlets raising concerns. Perhaps I should have said British and English language sites

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Here is the statement from CAF via BBC website:

" At its general assembly in Sao Paulo, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) condemned what it termed "the repeated, deliberately hateful, defamatory and degrading attacks by some media, notably British, on the image and the integrity of the Confederation of African Football, its president, its members, its member associations and the entire African continent."

I'd like to think our media is not racist. Could be time to leave FIFA if it is found that many CAF officials were bribed.

I don't think it is racist to say that Africa is by far the most corrupt continent. Close run 2nd for Asia and South America. There is no doubt in my mind that millions of dollars are spent in acquiring a world cup.
(I include Russia in Asia as it goes so far east)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'll quite happily boycott Budweiser and Coca-Cola - no change in my life there.

Apart from Sony, who are the other 'partners'

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
" At its general assembly in Sao Paulo, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) condemned what it termed "the repeated, deliberately hateful, defamatory and degrading attacks by some media, notably British, on the image and the integrity of the Confederation of African Football, its president, its members, its member associations and the entire African continent."

Guilty as evidenced by the strength of their denial. Are they seriously suggesting that none of their members took massive backhanders to vote for Quatar!????

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I beg to differ. Great to see such a fine upstanding member of the global community protecting the right of a poor beleaguered minority. Consistency personified as well - how about a few of his other 'causes célèbre'...

"I would say they should refrain from any sexual activities." Blatter in 2010 on the fact that homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, posing problems for gay visitors during the 2022 World Cup.

"Let's get women to play in different and more feminine garb than the men, in tighter shorts for example." Blatter on women's football clothing in 2004.

"If this had happened in let's say Latin countries then I think he would have been applauded." Blatter in 2010 on allegations that England captain John Terry had an affair with team-mate Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend.

"Crisis? What is a crisis? Football is not in a crisis." Blatter at a news conference in May 2011 amid Fifa's worst corruption scandal.
"There's too much modern slavery, in transferring players or buying players." Blatter suggesting Manchester United should sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2008.

"I would say it is a little surprising that the motherland of football has ignored a sacrosanct law or belief that the national team manager should be from the same country as the players. I have never seen Italy, Germany, Brazil or Argentina with a coach from another country." Blatter in 2008 on the appointment of Italy's Fabio Capello as England manager.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It would be lovely if the entire rotting edifice comes crashing down and we could start again from the bottom. Too many committee members of FIFA have been caught out but still they limp on in power oblivious to any form of shame and unable to be removed from power. Our only hope is if the big " Partners" pull out then we might see some action like kicking them all out and then giving the job to David Beckham...... at least the press conferences would be short.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Decisions already made looking at Blatters quote below:

"Fifa will rule on the validity of the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in September or October.
At that point, the president of football's world governing body said, the "matter will be closed"."

the matter will be closed....hmmmm

Also, if he is so concerned about racism and discrimination, then why has the 2018 tournament gone to Russia?

We should make a stand and pull out of FIFA!! (Can we wait until after the World Cup though..:wink:)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I beg to differ. Great to see such a fine upstanding member of the global community protecting the right of a poor beleaguered minority. Consistency personified as well - how about a few of his other 'causes célèbre'...

"I would say they should refrain from any sexual activities." Blatter in 2010 on the fact that homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, posing problems for gay visitors during the 2022 World Cup.

"Let's get women to play in different and more feminine garb than the men, in tighter shorts for example." Blatter on women's football clothing in 2004.

"If this had happened in let's say Latin countries then I think he would have been applauded." Blatter in 2010 on allegations that England captain John Terry had an affair with team-mate Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend.

"Crisis? What is a crisis? Football is not in a crisis." Blatter at a news conference in May 2011 amid Fifa's worst corruption scandal.
"There's too much modern slavery, in transferring players or buying players." Blatter suggesting Manchester United should sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid in 2008.

"I would say it is a little surprising that the motherland of football has ignored a sacrosanct law or belief that the national team manager should be from the same country as the players. I have never seen Italy, Germany, Brazil or Argentina with a coach from another country." Blatter in 2008 on the appointment of Italy's Fabio Capello as England manager.

If I was an advertising account manager for Pepsi or Samsung or whoever, I'd be running a campaign right through the World Cup with the strap-line:

"Proud not to be associated with FIFA."

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
the whole thing stinks. Blatter in my opinion is as bent as the others. the whole set up is riddled with dodgy characters and all the time the current system is in place England will never be awarded the world cup or the euros

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Everyone knows Qatar getting the World Cup was $$$ doing the talking, for what logical reason would Qatar be given the World Cup? Barring money? Think about all the reasons it shouldn't be held there and give me one good point about it being there...

Bizzare.

Jul 7, 2003
This time it is the Sunday Times that has it in for Blatter and his buddies. Previously it has been the Observer that that have been picking on them. The nasty, racist British media all picking on FIFA because we didn't get the World Cup we wanted. If he thinks the Times and Observer are racist I can't wait for the Daily Mail to get involved!

People such as Jack Warner have been proven as corrupt and yet Blatter still wants him in his inner circle. Blatter will have to die before there is a change of leadership as there are too many people loyal to him and the rewards that such loyalty seems to bring.

There was someone earlier this year who wanted to challenge Blatter but, IIRC when he looked into it, he realised that there was no way of getting the votes needed to oust him.

Hopefully the Sunday Times have enough undisputable evidence to bring Blatter and his cronies down as this is probably the best chance anyone will have.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Here is the statement from CAF via BBC website:

I'd like to think our media is not racist. Could be time to leave FIFA if it is found that many CAF officials were bribed.

Africa is the most corrupt continent on Earth, in many african countries corruption and bribery are part of the way of life and natural order of things. To suggest that CAF are the sole squeaky clean and non corrupt organisation on that continent would be ridiculous. The fact is they've been found out and exposed and they are now worried the steady flow of freebies and bribes will come to an end. They are looking to pin some shit elsewhere and take the focus off of themselves and where better than the nice easy target of the British press and media and no doubt throwing in the race card will be in there somewhere. I just wish the whole deck of cards will soon come tumbling down but that is only likely if the individual federations turn on each other as the heat and pressure rises. The british press must maintain the steady flow of stories of corruption even more so as the WC kicks off, they should be applauded for exposing this not derided.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
:rant::censored::censored: Oh **** OFF. Do they really expect us to swallow that garbage. They are just trying to divert attention away from themselves by 'crying racism'. Fifa could not be more corrupt and it was just Qatar, a middle Eastern country with a sudden interest in football that bid the highest.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:rant::censored::censored: Oh **** OFF. Do they really expect us to swallow that garbage. They are just trying to divert attention away from themselves by 'crying racism'. Fifa could not be more corrupt and it was just Qatar, a middle Eastern country with a sudden interest in football that bid the highest.

And are killing more foreign workers than any other country awarded the finals. Racism ? .... They have the rights on that at the moment as well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can't see this tactic working to be honest. Blatter's already attempting to explain it all away as a racist British press before any enquiry (as demanded by 5 of the 6 sponsors) has announced any findings. And if I recall, wasn't it the NY Times who also made a big thing about the corruption with the bids?

Blatter's playing of the race card looks like he's clutching at straws.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, at least Splatter's laid it on the line. So, what is it to be for the future of football - corruption or racism? Perhaps someone could set up a poll?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here