[Albion] Semi-legendary players who will surely get forgotten over time, but deserve a shout for doing their bit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Loads of good suggestions here and doubtless more to come.

I would say Ian Culverhouse too. During the Gillingham exile, when our team was dreadful and every game seemed like an uphill struggle, he was a wise old head at the back, playing the sweeper role, instilling just enough confidence in his teammates and the fans to avoid even more bad results than we experienced at that time.

My wife fancied him too, which was fair enough.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Remember going to MK dons back in the day when our fans spent most of the game singing if number oneeee was Andy Whing, if number two was Andy Whing

I do kind of miss the days in a way where such a bang average plodder like Andy Whing was a cult hero because of how shite the rest of the team was :lolol:

Remember it well, I loved Andy Whing.

Went to a house party that evening after the game and long into the night I got as far as 'and number 300 was Andy Whing'.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
John Byrne and Mike Small - for the while they lead our attack they were fantastic! I remember being right by the goal John Byrne scored at Anfield - a flying header in the FA Cup where we got a 2-2 draw. Marvellous scenes!

Perry Digweed - great keeper

Kurt Nogan was a pretty good striker for a while.

PC Beard - legendary non player I know but he can never be mentioned enough!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Wayne Bridge, the best left back I ever saw in a Brighton shirt until Cucumber and then Estupinian arrived (and i saw Willie Bell play). Only a loanee, earning a massive wedge whether he tried or not, but played with absolute class and tremendous energy for the entire season.
A word for Matt Upson too. I reckon Dunk learnt a fair bit from him.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Shane Duffy

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Remember going to MK dons back in the day when our fans spent most of the game singing if number oneeee was Andy Whing, if number two was Andy Whing

I do kind of miss the days in a way where such a bang average plodder like Andy Whing was a cult hero because of how shite the rest of the team was :lolol:
He was great for us in that season when the majority of the rest of the team were awful. Loads of effort.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Mark Beeney.

If Wilkinson hadn’t bought him we might not be here.

1692709061826.jpeg

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
John Byrne and Mike Small - for the while they lead our attack they were fantastic! I remember being right by the goal John Byrne scored at Anfield - a flying header in the FA Cup where we got a 2-2 draw. Marvellous scenes!

Perry Digweed - great keeper

Kurt Nogan was a pretty good striker for a while.

PC Beard - legendary non player I know but he can never be mentioned enough!
Paul Moulden and Steve Cotterill. I know they were loanees so probably dont count but I was gutted at the time when we couldn't afford them.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Ian Baird, as if him and Darren Moore hadn't been sent off in that game against Doncaster we would never have won as it as Moore was having a blinding game .
And Kerry Mayo who actually threw the punch 😂

Quite a few other contenders.

Andy Rollings
The Late Michael Robinson
John Keeley
Alan Curbishley
Mark Beeney
Charlie Oatway
Paul Brooker

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports