Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Self employed working for one company..

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
if it's any help, i am a self employed sparky, and it is fine for me to carry on "working" for one company for as long as i like, as long as it's mostll price work, and i am not just continually being paid a standard daily/hourly rate

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
That is bollox. We all know how the CSA and Women, in general, can screw over the ex-husband. How come nothing changes when the ex-wife gets re-married and suddenly has income, nothing..

BTW, before you ask, I am happily married for the first time of askinbg and for 19 years.. When I say happy, she now wants the laptop and or the remote as I am watching Palarse and on NSC!

in general i dont agree,
if ex wife gets married/has career/wins lottery etc does not stop the father paying maintenance for the upbringing of their child

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
in general i dont agree,
if ex wife gets married/has career/wins lottery etc does not stop the father paying maintenance for the upbringing of their child

Agreed. It's child support, not ex-wife support. It's not about how much she needs, it's about how much you can afford to give to the upbringing of your child.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
The whole maintenance thing does stink a bit. My ex wife gets a 2 bed house paid for and picks up 1K a month in benefits and my maintenance for doing f*** all !

Still I wouldn't change a thing as I have my son and the fact I can hold my head high knowing I work hard for what I have.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
If i went to CSA my ex would get nothing, but i love my son i brought him into the world his my responsibility, i give her what i can afford more than she asked for, i gave her a TV, Laptop i made sure she had all she needed, it was my fault the relationship broke down so i felt i had to put it right.

I hate people that want to pay as less as they want for there kids, the CSA are so lenient in some cases also.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In theory it won't make any significant difference - or at least it shouldn't. I'm sure a competent accountant could advise. I do understand why you might want to minimise child support payments but in years to come will your child?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Unless you are on the old system you pay a percentage per child 1 child 15% 2 children 20% and 3 or more 25%. I think there are deductions if you have any children living with you from yournew relationship and also if you have the children with you over 52 nights.

The old system is far more complicated and unfair for some people.

Being self employed won't necessarily reduce your income. I can't see how becoming self employed is going to help you unless you are going to fiddle your income.

Generally you can't work for one company and be self employed except for certain industries that are exempt.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
... Unbelievable. We could all, male & female, pay our way!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Are you trying to decieve / disguise income?
If you are Self Employed HMRC will ask you to complete a Self Assessment [SA] each year to disclose your income -they use this to confirm you have paid correcy PAYE and NI.
I would expect the CSA to base their calcs on your SA return.
If you submit a fradulent SA [and get caught] CSA will be the least of your worries.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
if the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, then the worker is probably an employee:
Do they have to do the work themselves?
Can someone tell them at any time what to do, where to carry out the work or when and how to do it?
Can they work a set amount of hours?
Can someone move them from task to task?
Are they paid by the hour, week, or month?
Can they get overtime pay or bonus payment?
If the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, it will usually mean that the worker is self-employed:

Can they hire someone to do the work or engage helpers at their own expense?
Do they risk their own money?
Do they provide the main items of equipment they need to do their job, not just the small tools that many employees provide for themselves?
Do they agree to do a job for a fixed price regardless of how long the job may take?
Can they decide what work to do, how and when to do the work and where to provide the services?
Do they regularly work for a number of different people?
Do they have to correct unsatisfactory work in their own time and at their own expense?

To put yourself in the self employed category when you should be in the employed one is class 1 NI fraud.

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
Are you trying to decieve / disguise income?
If you are Self Employed HMRC will ask you to complete a Self Assessment [SA] each year to disclose your income -they use this to confirm you have paid correcy PAYE and NI.
I would expect the CSA to base their calcs on your SA return.
If you submit a fradulent SA [and get caught] CSA will be the least of your worries.

And this.
Although if you have genuine work expenditure, ie allowable deductions it can work for you. Also bear in mind over a certain limit you will become eligible for VAT which is a further hassle.
Probably be more effective to get a shit hot lawyer on it.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
May still be relevant: Form a ltd Company with you as the only shareholder. Have all your income paid to this company. Then withdraw just enough each week as a salary to envoke a minor payment of NIC. Take the rest of the money needed to live on and declare a dividend from the company to the shareholder to cover it. Pay the dividend tax to the HMRC. CSA will then attempt to take monies from EARNED INCOME as UNEARNED INCOME (DIVIDENDS) are not classified as salary. May Help.
But you should really then come to an agreement to pay your wife what she really needs eh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
May still be relevant: Form a ltd Company with you as the only shareholder. Have all your income paid to this company. Then withdraw just enough each week as a salary to envoke a minor payment of NIC. Take the rest of the money needed to live on and declare a dividend from the company to the shareholder to cover it. Pay the dividend tax to the HMRC. CSA will then attempt to take monies from EARNED INCOME as UNEARNED INCOME (DIVIDENDS) are not classified as salary. May Help.
But you should really then come to an agreement to pay your wife what she really needs eh.

Don't forget IR35 though. If you're a paid employee on one day its unlikely you can turn up the next day doing exactly the same job as a limited company. There are specific laws to stop this. Best talk to an accountant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Was wandering if anyone on here knows about ways of being self employed and working for just one company,reason I'm asking is my ex partner and mother of my child after 5 years of paying her maintenance.has now decided to get the CSA involved...!so obviously I don't want to pay what the CSA want,they don't take into account my mortgage or any outgoings,any advice would be helpful

The onus if there was a tax enquiry would be on the person paying you, i.e. they'd have to meet the back tax, employees & employers national insurance, and penalties/interest. The paying entity should have put you on their payroll.

There are a set of tests on HMRC's website to see if you really should be self employed.

If you operated as a one-man band limited company, with one customer, you could wll be caught by IR35 legislation, with additional taxes for you to pay.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Wouldn't the CSA assess you on all income, be it through wages or dividends? If so, it wouldn't make much difference unless you are to give yourself a cut in take home pay.

Are you office based? If so what you are suggesting sounds like a Friday to Monday arrangement, which the HMRC are quite hot on so you would stand a good chance of coming under IR35.

Also, remember you would lose paid holiday and other benefits.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No, the rule is you pay what the CSA say. That is the amount you should pay.

Very good in theory but as has already been said the CSA have a dreadful reputation for bankrupting people. Quite a few people have stopped working and gone on Benefit rather than try and pay something they cannot afford, hardly helping the economy is it ? I don't speak from personal experience but I've met more than a few who have been in this position. Of course there's always the American model, don't pay your Child Support, whether you can afford or not, and go in jail.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't the CSA assess you on all income, be it through wages or dividends? If so, it wouldn't make much difference unless you are to give yourself a cut in take home pay.

Are you office based? If so what you are suggesting sounds like a Friday to Monday arrangement, which the HMRC are quite hot on so you would stand a good chance of coming under IR35.

Also, remember you would lose paid holiday and other benefits.

Agree.

Whilst there are IR35 tick lists there is an element of case-by-case with employee status in situations like the one being suggested earlier. I really think the wise thing to do is consult an accountant and maybe even a lawyer. There is a legal not to mention moral obligation to pay the correct taxes and very clear and specific legislation to prevent employment being disguised as self-employment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here