Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Self employed working for one company..

daveyboy40

Feb 25, 2009
Was wandering if anyone on here knows about ways of being self employed and working for just one company,reason I'm asking is my ex partner and mother of my child after 5 years of paying her maintenance.has now decided to get the CSA involved...!so obviously I don't want to pay what the CSA want,they don't take into account my mortgage or any outgoings,any advice would be helpful

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Pharmacists do it

They can locum for companies and are self employed, filling vacanies on a day/week basis.

They are effectively their own business for hire

Last edited:

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
In engneering the "contractor" pays the customer (employer) bench rent. Ie you are actually hiring your work space, in return the owner of "the space" will provide you with sub contracted jobs. Hope that helps, or at least makes sense.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Its a difficult thing to do long term. Things that can help your case are things like having more than 1 "job" or not having the same rights as employees, having your own equipment/computer etc. If the company is willing to do it then they are taking a risk of not deducting PAYE and NI but if they are happy to do it then the majority of the risk lies with them.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Why should the tax payers subsidise your lifestyles? Do you have 2 families?

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Even if you were self employed what you declare doesnt take into account your mortgage payments and personal outgoings. So I dont really understand what your asking? Regardless HMRC have been clamping down on this sort of thing over the past 18 months. Have a read up of IR35 and disguised employment laws :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Window fitters do it, have a friend who is self employed and has has a contract that he only installs windows for them and they pay for his van that carries the the companies livery.
Has done this for the last 15 years.
Is in effect employed but only pays self employed tax and NI.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The problem is the CSA only investigate the father's earnings.

My dad's ex said she only earned £50 a week so he gets creamed for my two half brothers.

It's a joke as she works part-time on the books of a company on a saturday and the rest of the time is self-employed not disclosing. If they even did a little investigating they see on her facebook that she's been on holiday to the Caribbean every year. But yet they take so much money from my dad I have to help him out to pay his bills (and he earns a decent wage).

Wouldn't be so bad but he has one and she has the other, so in my mind should be equal. But as she isn't "earning", she pays nothing and he pays everything.

rant over

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Was wandering if anyone on here knows about ways of being self employed and working for just one company,reason I'm asking is my ex partner and mother of my child after 5 years of paying her maintenance.has now decided to get the CSA involved...!so obviously I don't want to pay what the CSA want,they don't take into account my mortgage or any outgoings,any advice would be helpful

i think you should be straight up & pay what the CSA say, if you dont agree with the figure have a meeting with them rather than think of ways not to pay. I think its quite telling quoting "so obviously I don't want to pay what the CSA want"
But without knowing what you earn/what you pay/paid its difficult to say

daveyboy40

Feb 25, 2009
I have paid for my children week in week out since I split from my ex..!i have been paying what I feel is a reasonable amount to keep my daughter in a good lifestyle..now the CSA are involved they want what I pay and a bit more and I can not physically afford this..!but will the CSA listen no

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No, the rule is you pay what the CSA say. That is the amount you should pay.

That is bollox. We all know how the CSA and Women, in general, can screw over the ex-husband. How come nothing changes when the ex-wife gets re-married and suddenly has income, nothing..

BTW, before you ask, I am happily married for the first time of askinbg and for 19 years.. When I say happy, she now wants the laptop and or the remote as I am watching Palarse and on NSC!

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Costs lots of money to bring a child up. As far as I was aware you cant be self employed and be paid by only one employer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here