Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
90’s US sitcom. NSC’s thoughts?

IMG_1065.jpeg

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
One of the best US sitcoms ever, in my view, though as with any sitcom that runs to eight or nine series, it's not all top notch.
First couple of series are good and have some fantastic moments, but I reckon it really hits its groove around series 3-5. Series 6 is patchier, and the last few it's running out of steam.
You may disagree.
Larry David went on to create Curb Your Enthusiasm, while the cast struggled to match the heights they attained in Seinfeld.
Not everyone's thing, but if you liked Taxi, Cheers, Frasier and the like, give it a go.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
One of the best US sitcoms ever, in my view, though as with any sitcom that runs to eight or nine series, it's not all top notch.
First couple of series are good and have some fantastic moments, but I reckon it really hits its groove around series 3-5. Series 6 is patchier, and the last few it's running out of steam.
You may disagree.
Larry David went on to create Curb Your Enthusiasm, while the cast struggled to match the heights they attained in Seinfeld.
Not everyone's thing, but if you liked Taxi, Cheers, Frasier and the like, give it a go.
Agree with every word, right down to your assessment of the seasons’ quality.

I’m going back through the lot. I’m in my mid thirties so my initial exposure to it was as a young teen waiting for “Friends” to come on C4. I didn’t find it funny.

Now it’s alongside Frasier as my joint favourite US sitcom. Absolutely wonderful.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Preferred Frasier myself
As did I, now I can’t separate them!

Seinfeld has some truly wonderful writing.

Weirdly the worst thing about Seinfeld - in my opinion - is Jerry Seinfeld, although he has his moments.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
You may disagree.
This, and love Curb too. Seinfeld's more for a family audience though! :lolol:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Frasier is quite good but Seinfeld is better imho. I'm also nostalgic about it as i first saw it when visiting the States in 1991. George, Cosmo and Elaine > Jerry.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Superb. Any show that has a whole episode about a w@nking competiton has to be worth a try, no?
Very good episode.
Frasier is quite good but Seinfeld is better imho. I'm also nostalgic about it as i first saw it when visiting the States in 1991. George, Cosmo and Elaine > Jerry.
This. But in order I like George, Elaine, Cosmo and Jerry a long way behind!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
One of those shows which I've literally never seen an episode of. I used to watch Friends and Frasier back in the 90s, but for whatever reason Seinfeld was never on my radar (was it only on Sky?)

I've probably missed the boat now.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
One of those shows which I've literally never seen an episode of. I used to watch Friends and Frasier back in the 90s, but for whatever reason Seinfeld was never on my radar (was it only on Sky?)

It's because the bbc showed it after midnight during the week for some insane reason. So it had a much smaller viewing audience.

For anyone who missed it, it's all on Netflix and Id thoroughly recommend taking the time to watch it. It's a work of genius.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I’d say still as funny now as it ever was. Definitely worth watching if you enjoyed Frasier.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Much of it hasn’t aged well because of internet/phones. The humour is still there. It’s “soft” by modern sensibilities (no swearing), but very well written and ahead of its time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here