Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seems the 70's 80's was some sort of golden era for football?

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
I think if I had have been the right age during this era, I probably would have enjoyed pre-corporate football more than today, despite the fact the pitches were awful, stadia were rusting, and all the violence there was. But at least players back then were a little more like the fans, in that it was almost acceptable to go out on the town after the games and have a few drinks and smoke.

Nowadays it's big business, modern facilities, elite athletes etc, which isn't all bad, but the corporatization of football really has driven people away from their local teams. Nothing is worse than hearing someone with a Brighton accent describe teams like Manchester United and Liverpool as 'We'. Really gets on my f*cking nerves.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I think if I had have been the right age during this era, I probably would have enjoyed pre-corporate football more than today, despite the fact the pitches were awful, stadia were rusting, and all the violence there was. But at least players back then were a little more like the fans, in that it was almost acceptable to go out on the town after the games and have a few drinks and smoke.

Nowadays it's big business, modern facilities, elite athletes etc, which isn't all bad, but the corporatization of football really has driven people away from their local teams. Nothing is worse than hearing someone with a Brighton accent describe teams like Manchester United and Liverpool as 'We'. Really gets on my f*cking nerves.

I quite enjoy pointing out to those people that they are not from Manchester.

I'm not old enough to of experienced football in the 70s and 80s but it does sound much better then modern day football.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Football has been changing for the worse for long time now especially atmosphere wise.
All I see around me at games is people with mobiles glued to them snapping away.
Brits never used to be bothered with this, it was always the Japanese.
Now we are all obsessed with these gadgets.
Photos at the football, I don't get it!!
Leave it to the documenatary makers or the serious photographer who captures the moment.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I remember watching MOTD and George Best rounded the keeper and shot towards the empty goal. He turned away to celebrate another fine goal so didn't see the ball stop in the sticky mud and the defender come across to hoof it clear. Yes, fine days indeed! :lolol:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
very true.

When I first started going, in 1973, I think it was 35p for kids and 70 p for adults. I wonder how much that equates to now?

I started going to the Goldstone 80-81 season can`t remember the price though ,as a rule of thumb i beleive money doubles every 7 to 10 years depending on inflation , so on that basis if your 70 pence is correct the ticket would cost between £11.20 and £22.40 today

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fences only really came in in the mid-80's (remeber the 'cage' at Northampton early season?).

Fences were up much earlier than mid -80s. I have pictures of The Goldstone from 1979 and 1980 and those disgraceful spikey fences were already up.

Jan 30, 2008
Football has been changing for the worse for long time now especially atmosphere wise.
All I see around me at games is people with mobiles glued to them snapping away.
Brits never used to be bothered with this, it was always the Japanese.
Now we are all obsessed with these gadgets.
Photos at the football, I don't get it!!
Leave it to the documenatary makers or the serious photographer who captures the moment.
to late mate the damage has been done , what do these people do with these images they take,MUST HAVE A LIBRARY FULL OF THEM TO KNOCK ONE OUT ON :drool:
regards
DR

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
to late mate the damage has been done , what do these people do with these images they take,MUST HAVE A LIBRARY FULL OF THEM TO KNOCK ONE OUT ON :drool:
regards
DR

They put them on Facebook!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So many people moaning about today's football on here are nearly always the ones that rarely go nowadays and all they is bitch on about the old days being so great non stop on here. If it's finished for you, not the same any more then f... off and do something else. Sad state of affairs coming on here bitching about it non stop. I was around during the 70s and 80s and got up to all sorts but I love what is on offer today. Mind you I still meet up with all the same old mates, have a few beers, cheer on the Albion.
It's just that when you get to 50 the thought of making monkey noises, wrecking a pub, smacking some kiddie because he has a different coloured scarf on seems all a bit odd really.
Fans climbing fences in the ground spitting or throwing missiles at each other........ Yeah I wanted my kids to experience that didn't I ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So many people moaning about today's football on here are nearly always the ones that rarely go nowadays and all they is bitch on about the old days being so great non stop on here. If it's finished for you, not the same any more then f... off and do something else. Sad state of affairs coming on here bitching about it non stop. I was around during the 70s and 80s and got up to all sorts but I love what is on offer today. Mind you I still meet up with all the same old mates, have a few beers, cheer on the Albion.
It's just that when you get to 50 the thought of making monkey noises, wrecking a pub, smacking some kiddie because he has a different coloured scarf on seems all a bit odd really.
Fans climbing fences in the ground spitting or throwing missiles at each other........ Yeah I wanted my kids to experience that didn't I ?

Oh and in the main the 80s produced boring boring football.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

It wasn't much different in that respect in the 70s and 80s really.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally, I'd like football to go back to the way it was then. Then again, I'd like to be in my twenties again! Sadly, neither is going to happen...............

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I started going to the Goldstone 80-81 season can`t remember the price though ,as a rule of thumb i beleive money doubles every 7 to 10 years depending on inflation , so on that basis if your 70 pence is correct the ticket would cost between £11.20 and £22.40 today

With a ST at The Amex games cost about £18.50 each... so about right then!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here