Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seems the 70's 80's was some sort of golden era for football?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Considering your first Albion game was 1994 ( in your profile), how the deuce do you have a view on whether the football or atmosphere was better or worse?.... watching a bit of archive footage or big match highlights doesn't in my view give you the picture you need to make a solid judgement.

I've seen plenty of old football so I can judge by watching it. Re: atmosphere it certainly seems more vibrant back then, and I can remember the North Stand terrace at the Goldstone and how good the atmosphere could be.

Well seeing as most old football I've seen is meant to be representative of the best of football back then, it was PRETTY BAD. Go back to FA Cup final games in the 70s and the defending is immediately hilarious, no positional sense whatsoever, constant miskicks and air kicks, admittedly this is partly due to horrific pitches etc but what you see is still the same.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've seen plenty of old football so I can judge by watching it. Re: atmosphere it certainly seems more vibrant back then, and I can remember the North Stand terrace at the Goldstone and how good the atmosphere could be.

Well seeing as most old football I've seen is meant to be representative of the best of football back then, it was PRETTY BAD. Go back to FA Cup final games in the 70s and the defending is immediately hilarious, no positional sense whatsoever, constant miskicks and air kicks, admittedly this is partly due to horrific pitches etc but what you see is still the same.
I think the football was as skilful as now, its just that players are more athletic now, so the game is played with generally more pace. Pitches didn't help for sure, but generally games at the beginning and end of season were played on decent surfaces.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Personally I used to like the fear generated by the threat of physical violence. Things are too sterile today. If you stand up in the East stand to hurl racist abuse at someone you get a bunch of quilts telling you to sit down or screaming for a policeman.

The seats are nigh on impossible to rip out and luzz too.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Its tough to compare eras against eras.

The pitches were awful, the balls different, players less fit, however dont kid yourself, much of football on offer today is dire, ponderous rubbish.

For all its faults, you had a real atmosphere, intense football and perhaps some feeling of association with the players on show.

The height and skills of the goalkeepers in todays football is the obvious difference to me when comparing.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Personally, I think one of the reasons the '70s and '80s is hailed as a golden era is that for many smaller clubs, it was the greatest period in their history e.g. Swansea, Watford, Brighton, Ipswich, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace, Aberdeen, Dundee United. So there was a sense of hope amongst the personnel and supporters that their side could do 'an Ipswich' or 'emulate Nottingham Forest.'

The fact that English clubs so dominated the European Cup at the time must have helped.

Personally, I think one of the reasons the '70s and '80s is hailed as a golden era is that for many smaller clubs, it was the greatest period in their history e.g. Swansea, Watford, Brighton, Ipswich, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace, Aberdeen, Dundee United. So there was a sense of hope amongst the personnel and supporters that their side could do 'an Ipswich' or 'emulate Nottingham Forest.'

The fact that English clubs so dominated the European Cup at the time must have helped.

The reason i think it represented a special time was it was about freedom,you went where you wanted,when you wanted you could even run across the pitch if you changed your mind,no one checking tickets and telling to sit down don't sing this,in short it all belong to the fans you were the club,now you are a customer and your details are logged and you are there to be milked.Football nearly died back then but thanks to DR PREMIERSTEIN IT IS ALIVE AND SCREAMING :eek:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Its was more atmospheric for sure, the rampant tribalism generated a real fervour that you rarely see these days, there was real imagination in the songs sung, they were always designed to deliver a message to the opposition, but don't forget that was all offset by the danger and the crap facilities.

Well summed up IMO.

The best thing was just turning up with your mates, paying on the day, and standing on the terraces.

Having said all that, at the end The Goldstone was pretty crap, and with only a few thousand people, the atmosphere could be poor. Still miss it though.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The best thing about it was that football was an affordable pastime for all, nobody then was priced out of going
very true.

When I first started going, in 1973, I think it was 35p for kids and 70 p for adults. I wonder how much that equates to now?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
if you were Lucky enough to follow the Albion during the late 70's early 80's you know it was a golden era

the Amex has been the next best thing,now we need to do it on the pitch aswell

without success it doesn't matter how good your ground is,ask the the geordies

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cheap, potentially dangerous, players less athletic & less fit, tiny shorts, stadiums like cesspits.

I went to far more games then than now.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Recalling that era, I think of those classic shiny, tight polyester Adidas kits on display as an English side faced a crack Eastern European side from behind the Iron Curtain, with commentary being done via a telephone.

Must have been a great time!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And members of the coaching staff having their initials on the front of their tracksuits...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here