Second test: England v New Zealand

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just can't warm to this England side, don't know if it's the fact half of them don't even come from here, they all think they're far better than they are, or the negative way they go about their business.

Considering our dominance over the minnows of New Zealand we really should have had this wrapped up by now, serves us right if we don't win, part of me hopes it rains all day tomorrow and we learn from the experience. Not enforcing the follow on, batting at a pathetic rate for most of the two test series and then not declaring at lunch when NZ already required a WR total to win (despite only scoring 450 runs from 30 wickets so far this series) and then negative fields from Captain Cook, all desperately poor decisions which do nothing for test cricket or the loyal fans who pay the over-inflated prices to turn up. I want to see this England team play with a drive and purpose, a real will to win, sadly this has been completely lacking home and away against the minnows of NZ.

Will this be a Captain Cook cock-up of the highest order not to enforce the follow on ?

I tend to agree. When Australia were dominating cricket for two decades, they weren't doing it by making these sort of negative, boring decisions. Utter turd.

Case in point, Adelaide in the second test in 2006. We had racked up 551/6 and at the end of day 4 were something like 39/1 and about 70 ahead. If that had been this England team in Australia's position, Cook would have set a dull defensive 5th day field and let the game peter out. As it was, Australia attacked us from the off, knowing if they could skittle us they might rattle off the required runs, which they did.

This summer will be defined by where the Ashes end up, not by whether we beat NZ 1-0 or 2-0.

If the extended net that Cook and Trott enjoyed yesterday helps one tiny little bit then so be it.

(I'd have made them follow on myself...)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Both Cook and Trott - with his average saving go slow - should be hauled over the coals for this. Disgraceful. They may still pinch it if there is a gap in the clouds but this is up there with Hussain's putting them in malarkey. New Zealand should not even had a sniff of the draw.

Not a chance that they'd be "hauled over the coals". The last thing the powers that be would have wanted is another 3 day test. The action they took, took the test into a '5th' day. Better for revenue, innit...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This summer will be defined by where the Ashes end up, not by whether we beat NZ 1-0 or 2-0.

If the extended net that Cook and Trott enjoyed yesterday helps one tiny little bit then so be it.

The extended net analogy is actually spot on. We know the bowlers are nicely in good nick but the batsman have really looked in need of time in the middle.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

How is this "extended net" going to help retain the Ashes? I'd certainly imagine a thumping 2-0 series win would do rather more for morale heading into the Ashes series than a 1-0 with one that got away (avoidably) owing to very dull and very negative tactics.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not a chance that they'd be "hauled over the coals". The last thing the powers that be would have wanted is another 3 day test. The action they took, took the test into a '5th' day. Better for revenue, innit...

Really so why is it free to go to the test today ?

162/7

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Ok not hauled over the coals Hansy but negative all the same. Oh and it's free to get in on this fifth day.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It be raining in Barnsley. Get the coat on the whippet.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ok not hauled over the coals Hansy but negative all the same. Oh and it's free to get in on this fifth day.

I accept that, obviously, but its only free to get in because England knocked over 6 wickets yesterday after the declaration. It wouldn't have been free if NZ were only 2 down. Its not Cook's fault that NZ are poor.

The revenue isn't just from tickets either. There must be implications for TV deals etc, if too many tests finish early. The 1st test last 3.5 days. This one would have lasted 3 if he'd made them follow on. I'm not defending it - the captain shouldn't have to consider this stuff - but I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned to him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's got to hurt for Swann.

Smashed for 6 the ball after a simple slip catch missed.

Southee's batting is quite FUN though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's got to hurt for Swann.

Smashed for 6 the ball after a simple slip catch missed.

Southee's batting is quite FUN though.

It did as he said **** it which was caught on mic

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its 'easy' to bat with no pressure, but these two are playing some brilliant shots.

Great stuff.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
218/8

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports