Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Declared

NZ need a paltry 468 to win

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
65-3 Swann gets a second, after four wickets first up. Never mind this game, Swann coming back into form is bad news for the Aussies!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
144/4

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A little of the fun has gone out of this match for me. We should have pushed on and scored runs quicker yesterday or enforced the follow on. By batting on to a ridiculous lead of 468 we merely took time out of the game and made England look like bullies. We could have declared with a lead of 400ish which would have been plenty.

Serve us right if the Kiwi's bat out for the draw if we lose play tomorrow due to the weather.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A little of the fun has gone out of this match for me. We should have pushed on and scored runs quicker yesterday or enforced the follow on. By batting on to a ridiculous lead of 468 we merely took time out of the game and made England look like bullies. We could have declared with a lead of 400ish which would have been plenty.

Serve us right if the Kiwi's bat out for the draw if we loose play tomorrow due to the weather.

Completely agree. England batted on far too long. The world record 4th innings winning score is 418 FFS, why go on as long as we did, especially with the weather forecast tomorrow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This must be put down as a tactical error by Cook an inexperienced skipper had they enforced the follow the game would probably be virtually over now instead of looking at light metres and sweating on the weather

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
154/6 looks the right decision to me still

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
My worst fears are now being realised.

Unforgiveable decisions by Cook not to enforce the follow-on AND declare earlier. Thanks a lot.

Feb 14, 2010
Kiwis are a pub side. You get better players playing club cricket than in the NZ side. Its a good warm up for the main event this season but sides like New Zealand should be in a test match second division with Zimbabwe, Kenya, Bangladesh

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just can't warm to this England side, don't know if it's the fact half of them don't even come from here, they all think they're far better than they are, or the negative way they go about their business.

Considering our dominance over the minnows of New Zealand we really should have had this wrapped up by now, serves us right if we don't win, part of me hopes it rains all day tomorrow and we learn from the experience. Not enforcing the follow on, batting at a pathetic rate for most of the two test series and then not declaring at lunch when NZ already required a WR total to win (despite only scoring 450 runs from 30 wickets so far this series) and then negative fields from Captain Cook, all desperately poor decisions which do nothing for test cricket or the loyal fans who pay the over-inflated prices to turn up. I want to see this England team play with a drive and purpose, a real will to win, sadly this has been completely lacking home and away against the minnows of NZ.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Just can't warm to this England side, don't know if it's the fact half of them don't even come from here, they all think they're far better than they are, or the negative way they go about their business.

Considering our dominance over the minnows of New Zealand we really should have had this wrapped up by now, serves us right if we don't win, part of me hopes it rains all day tomorrow and we learn from the experience. Not enforcing the follow on, batting at a pathetic rate for most of the two test series and then not declaring at lunch when NZ already required a WR total to win (despite only scoring 450 runs from 30 wickets so far this series) and then negative fields from Captain Cook.

This. Bunch of amateurs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will this be a Captain Cook cock-up of the highest order not to enforce the follow on ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Considering our dominance over the minnows of New Zealand we really should have had this wrapped up by now, serves us right if we don't win, part of me hopes it rains all day tomorrow and we learn from the experience. Not enforcing the follow on, batting at a pathetic rate for most of the two test series and then not declaring at lunch when NZ already required a WR total to win (despite only scoring 450 runs from 30 wickets so far this series) and then negative fields from Captain Cook, all desperately poor decisions which do nothing for test cricket or the loyal fans who pay the over-inflated prices to turn up. I want to see this England team play with a drive and purpose, a real will to win, sadly this has been completely lacking home and away against the minnows of NZ.

I tend to agree. When Australia were dominating cricket for two decades, they weren't doing it by making these sort of negative, boring decisions. Utter turd.

Case in point, Adelaide in the second test in 2006. We had racked up 551/6 and at the end of day 4 were something like 39/1 and about 70 ahead. If that had been this England team in Australia's position, Cook would have set a dull defensive 5th day field and let the game peter out. As it was, Australia attacked us from the off, knowing if they could skittle us they might rattle off the required runs, which they did.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Play starts at 11:45 unless further rain

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Serve us right if the Kiwi's bat out for the draw if we lose play tomorrow due to the weather.

Both Cook and Trott - with his average saving go slow - should be hauled over the coals for this. Disgraceful. They may still pinch it if there is a gap in the clouds but this is up there with Hussain's putting them in malarkey. New Zealand should not even had a sniff of the draw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here