[Cricket] Second Ashes Test - England vs Australia - Lords

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England 4/1 for the win now. I think this is a good price.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Bit like John Motson. People love him as he's been around for ages and knows ridiculous amounts of past stats, but when it comes to the actual job of commentating on the here and now, he's hopeless.

Last week Oz were something like 92-2 and I drove into a tunnel. When you do that you lose reception (for a few mins, say approx an over). You wait for the score to come back, Blowers is on, so Australia are 92-3....(when they were actually 93-2).

Queue punching of the air from me, get in there....... you listen a bit further on and it is the same 2 batsman (well that's if he doesn't get their name wrong). The silly old duffer has got the score incorrect. He is always doing it, just listen to him.....he was co-commentating with Glenn McGrath and McGrath was just continually correcting him.

It is quite comical, however, if you were a new listener it would seem totally amateurish.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Glenn McGrath is joining in with the "DEBOO" talk now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's times like this that having Graeme Swann in the side made all the difference. Not having a top class spinner is a weakness - the Aussies certainly don't fear Moeen Ali.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do quite LIKE Jim Maxwell, but he does have an INFURIATING tendency to suddenly sound all excited, unnecessarily.

"AND HE'S MISSED IT. Through to the keeper. What are you plans tonight Aggers?"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think it's times like this that having Graeme Swann in the side made all the difference. Not having a top class spinner is a weakness - the Aussies certainly don't fear Moeen Ali.

Moeen Ali took 5 wickets in the last test match. As many as Broad, and more than Anderson, Wood or Stokes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Moeen Ali took 5 wickets in the last test match. As many as Broad, and more than Anderson, Wood or Stokes.

I'm not saying Ali is a bad bowler - he'll have his day. The point is that Swann was more consistently dangerous and this is the sort of situation when matches can begin to get away from us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
and Warne was better than Lyon... so what?

So there are times in the match when having a top spinner can keep you in a match. We'd reached that point in the match. Ali - even though he got 5 wickets in the previous test - isn't of that ilk. Personally, I'd like Rashid to have a go because I think if we're going to be a dominant side again we have to find that spinner.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
So there are times in the match when having a top spinner can keep you in a match. We'd reached that point in the match. Ali - even though he got 5 wickets in the previous test - isn't of that ilk. Personally, I'd like Rashid to have a go because I think if we're going to be a dominant side again we have to find that spinner.

Rashid was injured yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports