Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Seagulls abroad in Europe

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Afraid I haven't dragged myself to the ground that many times during the seven years I've lived here, it's mainly been when I've wanted to see the team they're playing :D There have been quite a few pre-season games against Swedish opposition that I've enjoyed (I'm a Swede myself), and I try to catch the national team playing once in a while.

I think I'd go much more often if it wouldn't make it hard to get to the pub in time for the Albion games!

Ah, ok.

Zalgiris have a former Albion centre-back playing for them who suffered terribly from injury during his time here. I posted about him when he made his senior international debut in March:-

Bouncing this thread for a player who is no longer at the Albion and 98% of NSC will never have heard of, but I'm absolutely delighted for him.

Kipras Kazukolovas - Lithuanian centre-back who joined us in the summer of 2017 to commence his scholarship (he had also had trials with LIverpool and Hertha Berlin). He had already captained the Lithuanian U-17 side and, despite still only being 16, was an unused sub for the Lithuanian U-21 side on September 5 2017. However, just four days later, in only his 3rd appearance for the Albion U-18s, he did his ACL in his left knee. He had surgery but after an MRI in May 2018 it was decided that his ACL would require further reconstruction and he went under the knife again.

He finally returned to action towards the end of the 2018-19 season and made four more appearances for the Albion U-18s; after a couple of appearances in friendlies in July 2019 it was deemed he needed a THIRD ACL operation. He made one final Albion appearance as a substitute in a friendly in September 2020 but that was it and he was released at the end of the 2020-21 season (having made 7 competitive appearances, all at U-18 level, during his 4-year Albion career). In November 2021 he joined Lithuanian side FK Zalgiris.

This season he has actually played in all 3 European competitions for Zalgiris, and he was called up to the Lithuanian national squad for this international break. On Friday he made his senior international debut, starting in a 2-0 defeat in Serbia. Today he started in a 0-0 draw in Greece.

For a lad who has been through the wringer and had his footballing dreams smashed to bits by injury issues, the last few days must have meant the world to him.

I'm sure he would love the chance to play against his former club in European competition.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Shamrock Rovers have ended up in the group stages before from falling out of CL qualification, not at all implausible and quite nearby. I also have a ticket purchasing record on their systems for the home end at Euro games (POG for normal games). Other Irish teams are all Conference League.

And the final's just down the road too.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Slavia Prague would be easy as around 90 minutes from me. The Eden only holds around 20k which obviously would mean a miniscule allocation for the away block. Beng on bad fan minus loyalty points probably means the home end. Despite the small capacity they rarely sell out there.

Depending which German team qualifies, Eintract Frankfurt & Leverkusen are a fair trek but doable. Poznan? 😬 Yeah, that could be interesting. 🔥

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Shamrock Rovers have ended up in the group stages before from falling out of CL qualification, not at all implausible and quite nearby. I also have a ticket purchasing record on their systems for the home end at Euro games (POG for normal games). Other Irish teams are all Conference League.

And the final's just down the road too.
In all honesty I'd be pretty disappointed to draw an Irish team in the group - feeling would probably be mutual though I guess... we all want the exotic (sounding at least) locations! 😬

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I live near Kitzbuehel in Austria and have a season ticket at RB Salzburg. LASK (Linz) are the automatic Austrian qualifier for the Europa League league stage, that's about a 3 hour drive for me. Sturm Graz (who are in the 3rd qualifying round of the Champions League) are a similar distance - and would be in the Europa League if they fail to qualify for the CL. I'll go to any Brighton match against an Austrian team, but I guess my dream ticket is for Salzburg to finish 3rd in their CL group, dropping into the Europa League - and play Brighton in the final.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I'm In Izmir Turkey... unfortunately we don't have any team anywhere near Europe but Fenerbahce and Besiktas likely to be in the Europa League so if we draw them I'll be there!!!
Gutted at the demise of Goztepe, though they finished this season with a great run. Would love an excuse to visit the new ground and stay with my wife's family in Hatay. One of my favourite cities on earth. Where abouts do you live?

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I live near Kitzbuehel in Austria and have a season ticket at RB Salzburg. I guess my dream ticket is for Salzburg to finish 3rd in their CL group, dropping into the Europa League - and play Brighton in the final.
So the dream place to see your local team play Brighton would be Dublin??!

doncasterseagull

Kasabian!!!
May 23, 2008
Doncaster
You in cologne?
I’m in trier, so Leverkusen or Freiburg would be good.
I am in Dusseldorf.

Agree Leverkusen for being so close is good for me. Would prefer Freiburg due to not seeing a match there. Only visited the stadium last summer.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Looks like one of Lech Poznan or Pogon Szczecin will be in the qualifiers along with Sparta Prague. I'll be hoping they get through.

Poznan is a great city. Not sure how welcoming their ultras would be to our visiting fans though.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I'm not an Albion fan but I wouldn't mind catching your match against us if for some miracle we make it to the EL (unlikely) and end up facing you. I don't go often as I live in a different region and Juventus stadium tickets are very pricey, but I'd certainly try and meet you guys.

If one of the Milan clubs had made it I could have tried and come regardless even as a non-Albion supporter (and stay in your end :lolol:) because my town is less than an hour by train from Milan, but alas both Milan and Inter will play in the CL.

Bergamo (Atalanta's town) isn't exactly worth the 2-hour trip just to face their scummy fans as a near-neutral.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here