Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

Bwian said:
Until our Fans United day the rest of the UK was totally unaware of our situation-thinking we were hooligans for a pitch invasion was all people remembered. Then the REAL football fans in the country saw what was happening and showed their support.

That's bullshit I'm afraid. There were many thousands of us all around the country who were fully aware of Brighton's situation at the time. Fans United may have helped to raise awareness to a small degree but the coverage it got in the media was poor.

Tim Carder quoted in 'Build A Bonfire': "The only disappointment really was that it (Fans United) didn't get the press coverage it deserved. Some of the broadsheets did good articles on the Sunday and Monday but by and large it was just ignored and the reason was that there was no riot."

Liz Costa quoted in 'Build A Bonfire': "You looked at the Sunday papers the following day and the tabloids didn't even mention it!"

I'm sorry to say that the Wrexham Fans United day was treated similarly by the press. For instance, the Wales on Sunday, the national Sunday newspaper over here, gave it just one small paragraph! And that was contained in the Wrexham match report.

Fans United days are a nice idea, and they obviously do no harm. They seem to generate a feelgood factor for the fans involved, and that's no bad thing. But, in my opinion, they seem to achieve little in material terms.

Tim Carder again in 'Build A Bonfire': "I don't think it (Fans United) affected the stance of Archer or the FA or anyone in particular but it certainly renewed the enthusiasm amongst Brighton fans for the cause."

Indeed.

As for not being able to count on my help, you are quite wrong. I've signed petitions, written a letter and sent a postcard to Prescott in support of Falmer, and I've signed petitions and made a couple of donations in support of Wrexham. Most right-minded football fans will have done the same - I know many other Cardiff fans have. I also made a donation towards the NSC Wrexham banner which was produced for the play-off final.

Fans rallying around to help clubs other than their own has been going on for decades. It's not a recent development. And long may it continue. However, in my opinion, Brighton fans travelling to Wrexham matches will have no effect on the likes of Hamilton, and Wrexham fans carrying a banner in support of Falmer will have no effect on Prescott either.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

The Laughing Bluebird said:
However, in my opinion, Brighton fans travelling to Wrexham matches will have no effect on the likes of Hamilton, and Wrexham fans carrying a banner in support of Falmer will have no effect on Prescott either.

Agree totally. But what is does achieve is make people aware that fans (especially in the lower leagues) are sympathetic to each other's plight

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

It's not a problem for me at all. I couldn't give a rats arse to be honest. It just amuses me that some of you think that this thing makes a real difference to the situations at either club.

I have bitten my fingers and avoided replying to some of this utter shite you have been spouting ...

Fans United DID make a difference to our club - WE SURVIVED, probably because of it. Because until the first Fans United day no-one took a rats arse notice about what was happening to us ... the day was the fulcrum in which everything turned and over seven years on we are not only surviving we are also consolidating in the Championship despite playing in a rented athletics ground (I can't even call it a stadium!).

I would like to think in a year of so time that people will look back to the Fans United / Wear Red for Wrexham day in a similar vein. Even now it is obvious it has made a difference. Even the weeks of organisation made a difference!

At least 56 clubs were represented on the day, over £15,000 was raised for Wrexham at the Racecourse (£8,000) Withdean (£1,100) and elsewhere. On the day we had widespread coverage on Sky News, Sky Sports, ITV, BBC TV, BBC Radio Five (on SIX occasions), Radio Bristol, The Mail on Sunday, The Western Mail, Wales on Sunday (all editions), The Daily Post, The Wrexham Leader, The Evening Leader, The Independent, The Daily Express .... if you want me to go on I can, as I have a pretty large list of media coverage.

There cannot be a single club in England and Wales who are now not aware of Wrexham's plight and helping out in some way - SINCE the FU day Torquay raised over £500, Huddersfield £4,000 and Scunthorpe £700 and more is being raised all the time. The warmth and support from other clubs is something else ...

Now even officials (manager, secretary, dirrectors) at Wrexham FC are voicing their own feelings - something they were afraid to do BEFORE FU Day ... and the latest news:

The club captain and three cohorts are putting in a bid to buy Wrexham FC and SAVE the club ....

A quick PS with regard to MK Dons:

A very close friend of mine is a former director and life long supporter of Meadowbank Thistle (former Scottish Div 2/3 club). When the club did a "Milton Keynes" and moved to Livingstone and changed their name some years ago (1993 from memory) that friend and hundreds of his mates stopped supporting the club - it was a betrayal of everything British football is about.

Now that friend (who is a senior official at the SFA) refuses to even step inside Almondvale (Livingstone's ground) such is his sense of bitterness.

I just hope that if ever everything coes pear shaped for Cardiff City that you don;t find your club relocated to Bristol and renamed something like Bristol United or Bristol Albion!!!

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

For instance, the Wales on Sunday, the national Sunday newspaper over here, gave it just one small paragraph! And that was contained in the Wrexham match report.

Two quick points - you obviously read only the south wales edition of WonS and didn't see the large pieces on the Saturday and Monday in the Western Mail!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

On the Left Wing said:
Fans Unietd DID make a difference to our club - WE SURVIVED, probably because of it.

Really? Do you honestly believe that? My understanding is that Brighton survived because the Dick Knight consortium eventually managed to gain control of the club. Is that not the case?

Wrexham: It's good to hear that plenty of money is being raised for their cause, but where is it actually going?

Your Meadowbank Thistle story: What is the point you are making?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Scunthorpe: Wrexham 4 Falmer report

On the Left Wing said:
Two quick points - you obviously read only the south wales edition of WonS and didn't see the large pieces on the Saturday and Monday in the Western Mail!

Yes, in Cardiff we do get the southern edition of the Wales on Sunday, naturally enough. The point being made elsewhere was that the Fans United day made fans of other clubs aware of Wrexham's plight, and that is undoubtedly true to a degree. But my point was that fans of clubs like Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Barry, etc, certainly wouldn't have learned about the Fans United day by reading the national Sunday newspaper of Wales because the paper here didn't carry a story about it.

I did see the Western Mail report, which was a decent piece.

Last edited:

Rockin Robin

May 25, 2004
Wrexham
Fans Utd has made a huge impact on our fight for survival,please read the post by OTLW again.

We've had emails and letters galore from football fans around the world who got to know about our situation from the media coverage of the fans day.The cash raised at the withdean,Torquay,Huddersfield,Scunthorpe and many other places is vital as we have no bank account.

When this nightmare is over and we still have a club to support we will look back at the time our friends from BHA joined our fight as the turning point.We have been humbled by the tremendous support of fans of other clubs and without them i can't imagine what would of happend.

Fans Utd works
:clap:

StephenWrexhamFc

May 24, 2004
Gwersyllt near Wrexham
Fans United and all the effort the Brighton lads have put in has made a big difference to us here at Wrexham.

Before this I felt as if we needed the media coverage to get our points across, okay I was quite confident that in time common sense would prevail and Hamilton would sell to someone else but the intervention of all these other supporters of other clubs has pushed this situation into the national spotlight.

I don't see what Laughing Bluebird expects to happen from all this?

Even if it just makes supporters feel a bit better it's a start.

A few weeks back I felt very depressed about things going on with my club and thought there was no way out unless something very drastic happened.

Now I can see light at the end of the tunnel and am actually looking forward to watching games again and not spending loads of free time worrying about Wrexham Football Club because I know that we will overcome this situation now.

I consider Nic and Richie and all the other Brighton fans who have helped us out to be true football fans who've put aside their own clubs problems to help us. It doesn't make them less of a Brighton fan by doing these things!

Last edited:

anf

Dec 6, 2004
Wrecsam
Hi all...... 1st time here. Wrexham fan. To start of with, A BIG THANK YOU to ALL you Brighton fans for being so supportive to our plight :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tomorrow night, I`m playing in a village darts league match and I`m using Blue flights....My appreciation to the Seagulls......... only use red or Welsh flights usually!!
All the best against the spurs in the Cup
5th March, Stoke V`s Brighton............ Hope to be there

Anf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports