Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scunthorpe on the brink

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Very sad. I grew up in Lincolnshire and was a mascot for Albion at Scunny. Late 90s. Think we lost 3-1 and Jamie Moralee came on as a sub and got sent off within a couple of minutes for hitting a Scunny player. One of my favourite Albion memories. 😂
My bad memory convinced me the Moralee sending off was at the Pissfield one evening 🤪

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Care to expand upon this ?
Fielding a very young and inexperienced side, they lost 7-0 to Bristol Rovers in the final game of the season.

This allowed Rovers to move above Northampton into the automatic promotion places on GD.

Northampton subsequently lost in the playoffs.

But the Cobblers are currently 3rd in the table this season, so they might not have to wait long for promotion anyway.

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
Care to expand upon this ?
Northampton Town looked as though they just needed to win their last game of the season at Barrow, which was achieved fairly comfortably, but the tub of lard called Keith Hill put out a youth team for Scunny at Bristol Rovers and lost out 8-0 (I think) and Northampton missed out on goal difference, no rules broken, just left a nasty taste

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
Assume most have seen the news from today. Directors pulling out and they’ve had to leave their ground. Another club falling victim to terrible owners

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was about to bounce this but I see @Tfitz12 has done it already.

Scunthorpe's owner David Hilton has withdrawn funding from the club. The club have announced that they are to play games 16 miles away at Gainsborough Trinity. But, surprise surprise, Gainsborough say they know nothing about the arrangement.

Hilton bought the club off Peter Swann in January. Swann retained ownership of Glanford Park despite falling foul of the fans ire. Swann appears to have run up huge gambling debts.

You might see David Hilton as a knight in shining armour, but no. Hilton has admitted on a podcast to having served time for fraud. He has served nine months of a two-year sentence for 15 counts of fraud worth a total of £68,000.

Now fans have been banned from entering the stadium because they have spoken out against the club. Would be great to get @The Albion Roar in contact with Scunthorpe's Iron Bru podcast as it looks like those are the guys who have been told they are not welcome.

How do the FA still allow these people in to run football clubs? What are they doing?

It's all depressingly familiar.

Do put the Northampton story to one side. That's not the fans fault. They face losing their club.

What can you do?

Write to Mark Bullingham at the FA to ask why David Hilton and Peter Swann were approved as fit and proper owners: sgpenquiries@TheFA.com
(unsurprisingly, the FA make it hard to find ways of contacting them, so in the first instance go via St George's Park.)

Write to the Football Ombudsman to ask why Scunthorpe United fans are being prevented from attending games for voicing opposition to the current owners: contact@theifo.co.uk

Attend a game if you're in the area.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I've always been interested in Scunthorpe United's fortunes and misfortunes as I feel an affinity to the Albion as they were the last team to be promoted from the old Division 3 North the same season Albion won Division 3 South. Remember in those days there was only one promotion place from each of those Divisions.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Think Ray Clemence did as well. Sure there was one of those trick questions going around, name 3 England captains to play for Scunthorpe.
Ian Botham.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Incredible that Hilton passed the Fit & Proper Persons test, this is a disgrace and the FA have facilitated it.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Incredible that Hilton passed the Fit & Proper Persons test, this is a disgrace and the FA have facilitated it.
Isn't it down to the EFL to carryout the fit & proper test on EFL club owners?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here