SCR Phone In Special

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Look, we're all disappearing up our own arses over this.

The bottom line is very simple - despite the Albion having a reasonable season, the board believe that Micky Adams is a better manager than Dean Wilkins, and have therefore acted accordingly. Whether this turns out to be the RIGHT decision only time will tell. Its very harsh on Wilkins, but thats football. The board have acted in what they believe to be the best interests of the club - not Wilkins - the CLUB, and thats the end of it.

None of this hand-wringing over the timing of it and who-said-what-to-who-and-when matters one JOT in the great scheme of things. All that matters is this club going forward, and the feeling of the people who are running the club is that we've got a better chance of improving further under Adams than Wilkins. Thats it.

Now can we get on with looking forward to next season please ?

You are absolutely right, of course. It's just that sometimes, some people wind you up enough that you have to reply - against your better judgement!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
While I agree with the sentiment Easy, this is a Brighton messageboard, and as we haven't got a game for positively MONTHS, we need something to allow us some SPECULATION, especially as the transfer window hasn't opened up yet.

Aaah - it will be FIXTURES soon!

One thing I'd like to make clear, in the light of some of the postings on this thread ...

I have no reason to believe that DK thought that Dean Wilkins had "lost the dressing room".

Perhaps he'd "lost control of the dressing room" (in the sense that players and their agents were getting stories planted in the local press, and part of the manager's job is to discourage this sort of thing, if it is going to be disruptive), but that isn't the same thing.

I suspect that most players were very happy with Dean Wilkins. I know that some were not, because they told me so. But I didn't get that information from DK.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While I agree with the sentiment Easy, this is a Brighton messageboard, and as we haven't got a game for positively MONTHS, we need something to allow us some SPECULATION, especially as the transfer window hasn't opened up yet.

I'm BORED with it already though. Along with everyone else I was getting totally wrapped up in the rights and wrongs of it all, the politics, the conspiracy theories etc etc. But it strikes me now that I really don't give a toss. A ruthless decision was made, Adams is back, he was bloody brilliant last time and I hope he can do it all again. Thats all that matters to me.

If we're comfortably embedded in the top 6 (or better) next season, no-one will give a monkeys about what happened last week, so I can't be arsed to get embroiled with the ravings of BigGully and bhadeb. The sun is shining and lifes too short.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No? I thought as much.

Love your self congratulation, that somehow your post was so brilliant that I couldnt respond, thats funny !

I have never said that I have some kinda evidence to back that claim up.

I wondered if they would of sacked Wilkins even if we got promotion ?

If DK was so determined to sack Wilkins, a 'play off' place might of made the decision impossible and therefore some of Wilkins doubters might of hoped that the play offs were not made.

Just maybe, my stance that the manager must be the integral part of decision making with players might be accepted as good practice.

Alas people within the club spun it as 'wage structures' etc.

Just maybe Wilkins found his meddling unacceptable and no doubt he made that clear to the board.

Chairman do not sack themslves.

Its always the manger !

could be that the Knight dound his meddling unacceptable and no doubt made that clear to the board.

It always comes down to two things - results or who runs the club.

Chairmen always win on both counts

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm BORED with it already though. Along with everyone else I was getting totally wrapped up in the rights and wrongs of it all, the politics, the conspiracy theories etc etc. But it strikes me now that I really don't give a toss. A ruthless decision was made, Adams is back, he was bloody brilliant last time and I hope he can do it all again. Thats all that matters to me.

If we're comfortably embedded in the top 6 (or better) next season, no-one will give a monkeys about what happened last week, so I can't be arsed to get embroiled with the ravings of BigGully and bhadeb. The sun is shining and lifes too short.

The most sensible post on this thread. I would only like to add "and there's bugger all we can doa about it"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wondered if they would of sacked Wilkins even if we got promotion ?

If DK was so determined to sack Wilkins, a 'play off' place might of made the decision impossible and therefore some of Wilkins doubters might of hoped that the play offs were not made.

A more pertinent point - who the hell CARES ? What does it MATTER ? What difference will it make NOW ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is still relevant because Wilkins has been offered the job of First Team Coach. Any problems that are not dealt with now will persist and could, potentially, cause a rift next season.

Personally I think Wilkins should tell Knight where to shove his job offer and then go and sign a decent contract with a Chmpionship club. The more we have this vacuum of information and reaction from Wilkins the less respect I have for him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The more we have this vacuum of information and reaction from Wilkins the less respect I have for him.

Why less respect?

Wilkins is under no obligation to say anything to us. The only obligation he has is to accept or decline the new job offer that has been made to him by the club.

And whatever he decides he doesn't have to say anything publicly.

It is purely a matter between employer and employee, regardless of what we might want to know.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit harsh Pav.
I expect Wilkins is weighnig up his options and hoping his phone will ring with an alternative offer from somewhere.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bit harsh Pav.
I expect Wilkins is weighnig up his options and hoping his phone will ring with an alternative offer from somewhere.

After guiding us to 7th with a relatively young squad and one of the smallest playing budgets in the league I don't think he'll be short of offers, do you?

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
It is still relevant because Wilkins has been offered the job of First Team Coach. Any problems that are not dealt with now will persist and could, potentially, cause a rift next season.

Personally I think Wilkins should tell Knight where to shove his job offer and then go and sign a decent contract with a Chmpionship club. The more we have this vacuum of information and reaction from Wilkins the less respect I have for him.

I'm sure DK said he's gone away for a few days and will then speak to MA, it is only Monday has anyone heard of patience ffs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After guiding us to 7th with a relatively young squad and one of the smallest playing budgets in the league I don't think he'll be short of offers, do you?

I would hope not. Although he's only been a manager in his own right for eighteen months or so, therefore I don't think he's just going to walk into a managers job elsewhere. He was still building his reputation here, and would be seen as a bit of a risky appointment elsewhere methinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports