Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCR Phone In Special

You are right. The vast majority on NSC know very little of what goes on behind the scenes, although some seem to think they do, and some believe they have a right to. They don't.

As supporters we must hope that all decisions that are made by the board are the right ones for the club, on and off the field. We can have our views, but we don't have a say. It's always been like that. It may be 'our' club, but it's their company and business.
Agreed.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Even discussing anything that can be deemed detrimental to his role as manager is unprofessional.

This was at the time when we were making a push for the play offs and still the Him.

Who was he speaking to, the Board ?

No bloody supporters and the local radio guy !

What have the play-offs got to do with it? How did that affect anything? He confided in people he knew he could trust. Not unprofessional at all.

As I have said in an earlier post, I have confided in trustworthy friends, outside of my company, on issues within the company. It was to the detriment of no-one.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How can you not subscribe to the 'He is the Chairman' bit. HE IS!

Why is a football club, as a business, different to any other? Why is it more intricate? He chose to express his concerns about the manager to one or two individuals who he trusted to be discreet .. and they were. Where is the bad practice in that?

I've done it in my business. I chose to move someone to a diffrenet role despite the fact that she was very popular with her colleagues and with our customers. I discussed it with someone outside the business because I wanted an outside view. I got that, and complete discretion. I did the deed and although, she was not happy with it, it proved to be 100% the right decison for the company and its customers.

Why is the DK situation any different. He didn't do it for fun. He and board have done it for what they believe is the good of the company and the club.

The fact that you, or I, or others may believe it to be the wrong decision is completely irrelevant.

You obviously subscribe to the 'he is the Chairman' bit, so he can therefore do what he wishes, irrespective of that conduct.

My point is that the Chairman should not be speaking to supporters about the manager ahead of speaking to Wilkins himself, no doubt.

It is debatable whether the decision itself is a correct one, anyway.

I think most people would deem Wilkins tenure a successful one.

The Manager is a very senior position and maybe the highest profiled position within any club.

With that there must come a degree respect and support from the Board.

Wilkins was pushing for a play off place and the Chairman is going round whispering his concerns about his Manager.

There is a real possibility that some Board members were actually hoping that the team might fail in their bid for a play off place, that is unacceptable.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
There is a real possibility that some Board members were actually hoping that the team might fail in their bid for a play off place, that is unacceptable.

Are you some kind of wind-up merchant? stupid or plain ignorant

Part of the fact we posted a loss was the £750,000 loss of earnings by being relegated from the championship.

Do you really see ANY of the board members wanting to fail in being promoted??

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
You obviously subscribe to the 'he is the Chairman' bit, so he can therefore do what he wishes, irrespective of that conduct.

My point is that the Chairman should not be speaking to supporters about the manager ahead of speaking to Wilkins himself, no doubt.

It is debatable whether the decision itself is a correct one, anyway.

I think most people would deem Wilkins tenure a successful one.

The Manager is a very senior position and maybe the highest profiled position within any club.

With that there must come a degree respect and support from the Board.

Wilkins was pushing for a play off place and the Chairman is going round whispering his concerns about his Manager.

We will have to agree to disagree on the Chairman, but where did you get the last line from? And what relevance is it to the discussion? None of this came out until after the end of the season.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What have the play-offs got to do with it? How did that affect anything? He confided in people he knew he could trust. Not unprofessional at all.

As I have said in an earlier post, I have confided in trustworthy friends, outside of my company, on issues within the company. It was to the detriment of no-one.

When you confide you confide, but this isnt the case here as it is now public knowledge.

It seems that Wilkins was out whatever he achieved and therefore it was not a footballing decision and those always worry me.

You might find that it was to the detriment to the person you later fired !

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
When you confide you confide, but this isnt the case here as it is now public knowledge.

It seems that Wilkins was out whatever he achieved and therefore it was not a footballing decision and those always worry me.

Yes it was a footballing decision

He had lost the respect of the dressing room and was losing control of other aspects of his job as well.

Don't get me wrong love the bloke and he did a fantastic job under the circumstances BUT that's football for you

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We will have to agree to disagree on the Chairman, but where did you get the last line from? And what relevance is it to the discussion? None of this came out until after the end of the season.

There is a real possibility that some on the Board may of hoped that we lose a game.

That is never an enlightening thought for any supporter !

In fairness it seems DK confided in (amongst others) Lord B, who then confided in Harty. It appears that Harty was the one to break this to the general public.

I follow the view that someone else posted earlier (sorry can't remember who); that DK (at least, and possibly other members of the Board) weren't happy with the manner in which DW handled the contract renewals in December/January... this put him on the backward foot, but the playoff challenge meant that he kept his job. Something then happened in the past week or so (quite possibly the Reid outburst, I'll let the conspiracy theorists blame whoever they want for that) that meant that the Board (and I think it would have to be the Board, rather than just DK) snapped and wanted to remove DW. Hence the odd timing... so while it was something that DK and the Board had been considering, they didn't decide to act on it until last week.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

In my case it wasn't to her detriment because she accepted another position in the company, and was much happier. I accept that she might have left and been very unhappy which would have been very sad, but it would still have been the RIGHT decision for the company.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes it was a footballing decision

He had lost the respect of the dressing room and was losing control of other aspects of his job as well.

Don't get me wrong love the bloke and he did a fantastic job under the circumstances BUT that's football for you

This is my point, already the whispers and spin have started and this is the really important thing.

The ruse is again character assassination and this is a trait that the Chairman has done before, he has previous.

Wilkins 'lost the dressing room' is nonsense, you cannot succeed otherwise.

Of course Reid had a pop, but was that the Chairman pre-empting any likely backlash from fans, probably ?

As is Kuipers love in with Adams today too, its the clumsy BHA PR machine.

But if you accept that most of the dressing room was Wilkins own players from his time with them at youth level and then add to the recent signings then that only leaves the guys that were released, but they were irrelivant, he possibly didnt need to keep those player's 'on board'.

You may wish to expand on what other aspects you feel Wilkins lost control of ?

I agree football can be a spiteful game, but to try and smear Wilkins after what he has done for the club would be unforgivable.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In my case it wasn't to her detriment because she accepted another position in the company, and was much happier. I accept that she might have left and been very unhappy which would have been very sad, but it would still have been the RIGHT decision for the company.

Your accepting the premise that Wilkins sacking is the right decision.

Therefore we will have to agree to disagree.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Your accepting the premise that Wilkins sacking is the right decision.

Therefore we will have to agree to disagree.

Actually, I'm not saying it is the right decision. I don't know if it is the right decision. I don't have all the facts and knowledge of what has gone on behind the scenes to enable me to have a considered view. Only time will tell us that.

I am saying that the board believe it to be the right decision for the club and the company and would have only made it for concrete reasons. I acknowledge their right to make that decision.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, we're all disappearing up our own arses over this.

The bottom line is very simple - despite the Albion having a reasonable season, the board believe that Micky Adams is a better manager than Dean Wilkins, and have therefore acted accordingly. Whether this turns out to be the RIGHT decision only time will tell. Its very harsh on Wilkins, but thats football. The board have acted in what they believe to be the best interests of the club - not Wilkins - the CLUB, and thats the end of it.

None of this hand-wringing over the timing of it and who-said-what-to-who-and-when matters one JOT in the great scheme of things. All that matters is this club going forward, and the feeling of the people who are running the club is that we've got a better chance of improving further under Adams than Wilkins. Thats it.

Now can we get on with looking forward to next season please ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

The bottom line is very simple - despite the Albion having a reasonable season, the board believe that Micky Adams is a better manager than Dean Wilkins, and have therefore acted accordingly. Whether this turns out to be the RIGHT decision only time will tell. Its very harsh on Wilkins, but thats football. The board have acted in what they believe to be the best interests of the club - not Wilkins - the CLUB, and thats the end of it.

None of this hand-wringing over the timing of it and who-said-what-to-who-and-when matters one JOT in the great scheme of things. All that matters is this club going forward, and the feeling of the people who are running the club is that we've got a better chance of improving further under Adams than Wilkins. Thats it.

OK I am sorry !!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
This is my point, already the whispers and spin have started and this is the really important thing.

The ruse is again character assassination and this is a trait that the Chairman has done before, he has previous.

Wilkins 'lost the dressing room' is nonsense, you cannot succeed otherwise.

Of course Reid had a pop, but was that the Chairman pre-empting any likely backlash from fans, probably ?

As is Kuipers love in with Adams today too, its the clumsy BHA PR machine.

But if you accept that most of the dressing room was Wilkins own players from his time with them at youth level and then add to the recent signings then that only leaves the guys that were released, but they were irrelivant, he possibly didnt need to keep those player's 'on board'.

You may wish to expand on what other aspects you feel Wilkins lost control of ?

I agree football can be a spiteful game, but to try and smear Wilkins after what he has done for the club would be unforgivable.

What concrete evidence do you have of character assassination and smearing? I haven't seen any -except from you.

Last edited:

While I agree with the sentiment Easy, this is a Brighton messageboard, and as we haven't got a game for positively MONTHS, we need something to allow us some SPECULATION, especially as the transfer window hasn't opened up yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here