Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SCR Phone In Special

Y2Dave on another thread (from an ex player) has posted pretty much what I have been told (and put earlier in this thread) and when you couple that with the clubs view then I find it inconceivable that DW didn't know what had happened and where he had gone wrong.
For the sake of tidiness, I've copied y2dave's post across to here.

Right, from a sound source and apparently direct from an ex player. Dick Knight and the entire Board lost confidence in Deans Wilkins during the January transfer window.

Dick was involved in negotiations for new signings and more specifically was hoping to extend the contracts of several players. After consultation with the manager Dick usually negotiates direct with the player or agent.

It seems Dean Wilkins was part of an attempt to manipulate the board to secure Dean Hammond a contract outside of the clubs constraints. It also seems this was not an isolated incident and resulted in agents exploiting this division and leveraging Wilkins perceived valuation of players when in negotiations.

What really done for Dean was this being all played out in the press and his perceived support of the players over the club as a business. Savage playing at Millwall certainly didnt help. Once Barry Llloyds targets were secured the plan was to dismiss Wilkins to allow the new manager time to assess the squad and settle in.

As it turned out the club didn't want to risk a playoff push so Wilkins was retained, perhaps knowing his time was up. Judging by his lack of interest in the fate of senior pro's and from what Paul Reid had to say I assume he did.

I agree with y2dave - What did for DW was playing everything out in the columns of the Argus. That and the fact that the manager needs to work WITH the chairman on negotiating with players. It's the agent's job to represent the player, not the manager's.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm. So amongst others, Harty and Ed knew for a fact that Wilkins was for the chop months before Wilkins himself did.

Thats pretty shoddy all round I think.

Hmmm. So amongst others, Harty and Ed knew for a fact that Wilkins was for the chop months before Wilkins himself did.

Thats pretty shoddy all round I think.

Sorry, but that's not actually the case. I knew that he was out of favour with the Chairman. That's not the same as "knowing he was for the chop". Things might have turned around. When the moment came, I simply wasn't as surprised as other people were.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All this does is just reconfirm the view held by some that Knight has an inner circle of fans who he is willing to share club info on. Personally I think this is really shoddy, and not exactly professional. One thing to talk about plans for Falmer, another all together to demonstrate to those fans that he has had enough of the manager months before he then sacks him after the guy has nearly got us into the play offs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry, but that's not actually the case. I knew that he was out of favour with the Chairman. That's not the same as "knowing he was for the chop". Things might have turned around. When the moment came, I simply wasn't as surprised as other people were.

Well not a lot went wrong between February and the end of the season to warrant Wilkins getting the spanish fiddler, so short of actually making the playoffs and then going up, I guess it seems Deano's number was up anyway. If you're out of favour with the chairman, you're not going to survive much longer.

I wasn't all that convinced by Adams's statement on Friday at the time when he said "if I didn't take the job then someone else would have been brought in anyway", but I guess from the revelations on this thread, that probably was indeed the case.

Last edited:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Because was away this weekend I was hoping to hear this phone in on the listen again facility on the Southern Counties Site. The last phone in on there was for Leeds away game. Harty & co - any chance of this being updated?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree with y2dave - What did for DW was playing everything out in the columns of the Argus. That and the fact that the manager needs to work WITH the chairman on negotiating with players. It's the agent's job to represent the player, not the manager's.
But Wilkins didn't say anything, so he was in cahoots with Bas, Dean Hammond/agent, and Forster in what they said in the papers and/or asked the club for?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Indeed. Or the manager. Or any of the players.

When Micky gets us into the premiership and we have multi-million pound investors in control, I dare say that the Albion will evolve into a proper football club - where NO-ONE at the club speaks to any of the paying punters. We'd have become a proper business that has to do with "fan affinity and brand devotion".

We'd all happily pay £50 a game to consume the product. And, if we don't want to, it'll be on the telly every week anyway.

Does anyone join me in thinking that this sentiment is really quite unsettling.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

No really - Apparently the alternative to discussing things that should be kept internal to the business is Brighton playing in the Premiership.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yeah , the worst case scenario is that we become the plastic fans that we currently despise.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Let's not burn all the bridges, BigGully.

I really hope that DW accepts the offer to resume the coaching role that he is BRILLIANT at.

Why would he now do that ??

Why would any professional outfit believe that, you can be soo unprofessional to another individual that he might wish to stay ?

It dont work like that, unless you are desperate !!

Wilkins great strength is his knowledge experience and integrity and brilliance ( your quote )

Why would you think he might except that ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I have felt for a long time that the way the inner circle of fans is portrayed is actually bad for business. I am ready to be shot down in flames for this but here goes.

The club will live or die on its fair weather punter, not the bobble hats. For some time now I believe that there has been a split between those fans close to the club, and the rest of us. We're not all anti Dick Knight, but we do see his failings and this is made worst sometimes by the way in which different close fans are so quick to defend him.

Also what the f*** has happened to the Supporters Club. We all know who represent it and have done for many many years as they're always on the radio or the telly supporting the club line but how do you join it, how does it promote itself, does it ever ask for new members (hasn't done so in the programme for about ten years), how many members does it have? Is this deliberately so that those advising Dick are kept to the chosen few?

Close supporters such as Liz Costa constantly give the impression that they would hate our club to be in the Premiership playing in front of 30,000 people, with no access to the Chairman. However I suspect at least 25,000 would be happy about this!!!

The reason season tickets are not being sold is 1) Withdean is crap 2)The opposition is crap 3)the prices are too high 4) There is still a perception that Dick Knight has not invested in the players enough (and most fans blame Dick for what happened in December and January). 5) We didn't always play that well this season.

Oh shit just noticed this is my 2,000th post, meant to make it a positive one, not a bit of a moan!! Will have to wait until 3,000 now!!!!

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have felt for a long time that the way the inner circle of fans is portrayed is actually bad for business. I am ready to be shot down in flames for this but here goes.

The club will live or die on its fair weather punter, not the bobble hats. For some time now I believe that there has been a split between those fans close to the club, and the rest of us. We're not all anti Dick Knight, but we do see his failings and this is made worst sometimes by the way in which different close fans are so quick to defend him.

Also what the f*** has happened to the Supporters Club. We all know who represent it and have done for many many years as they're always on the radio or the telly supporting the club line but how do you join it, how does it promote itself, does it ever ask for new members (hasn't done so in the programme for about ten years), how many members does it have? Is this deliberately so that those advising Dick are kept to the chosen few?

Close supporters such as Liz Costa constantly give the impression that they would hate our club to be in the Premiership playing in front of 30,000 people, with no access to the Chairman. However I suspect at least 25,000 would be happy about this!!!

The reason season tickets are not being sold is 1) Withdean is crap 2)The opposition is crap 3)the prices are too high 4) There is still a perception that Dick Knight has not invested in the players enough (and most fans blame Dick for what happened in December and January). 5) We didn't always play that well this season.

I am not too sure whether who 'knows' is relevant.

But undoubtedly if a club is being run with bad practice, then each issue should be more closely monitored.

You can no longer accept shoddy stewardship, it must effect our progress. . .surely !

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Just maybe, my stance that the manager must be the integral part of decision making with players might be accepted as good practice.

Alas people within the club spun it as 'wage structures' etc.

Just maybe Wilkins found his meddling unacceptable and no doubt he made that clear to the board.

Chairman do not sack themslves.

Its always the manger !

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All this does is just reconfirm the view held by some that Knight has an inner circle of fans who he is willing to share club info on. Personally I think this is really shoddy, and not exactly professional. One thing to talk about plans for Falmer, another all together to demonstrate to those fans that he has had enough of the manager months before he then sacks him after the guy has nearly got us into the play offs.

Ow get over yourself! You're only jealous:love:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I have felt for a long time that the way the inner circle of fans is portrayed is actually bad for business. !!!!

I find it very strange to be honest and a bit childish. Essentially this thread has been devoted to squaring / wanking off about who has got the "best friend" with connections to the Albion board/tealady/cashier at the club shop etc. Its like school playground stuff "my dads bigger than yours" etc.

Grow up for fcuks sake, I bet most of you don't know half as much as you think you do and have probably been used in some cases just to promote an alternative line that would make the board look better to the fans, and some posts stink of delusions of granduer.

If you want to get involved in a football club in a meaningful sense then I'm sure a few teams in the Lewes Sunday League are looking out for blokes with too much time of their hands to help out.

Honestly, re-read this thread and tell me that this little bitchfest is not making us all look like twats.

I find it very strange to be honest and a bit childish. Essentially this thread has been devoted to squaring / wanking off about who has got the "best friend" with connections to the Albion board/tealady/cashier at the club shop etc. Its like school playground stuff "my dads bigger than yours" etc.
Not on my part, it hasn't.

I have been content to be completely silent for months on the subject of the Manager. I've only got involved at this stage because Ian Hart chose to publicise, via NSC initially and SCR yesterday, that last February he and I had what I thought at the time was a private conversation about another private conversation.

It's now got a bit out of hand, with some people saying that the Chairman shouldn't have private conversations with people who happen to be supporters of the Albion. That's a point of view. I'm not going to debate it.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
My take on this and it has taken a while to read this all!!!!!!!!! is

1. Dick Knight is the chairman of this club and what he chooses to discuss with people is his business.

2. Certain parties knew about this for months and did the right thing by keeping it quiet until it came out in public.

3. Harty made this public, Whether this was right or wrong it's not our decision to decide it's Dicks as it was his conversation that was revealed.

That is all

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
My take on this and it has taken a while to read this all!!!!!!!!! is

1. Dick Knight is the chairman of this club and what he chooses to discuss with people is his business.

2. Certain parties knew about this for months and did the right thing by keeping it quiet until it came out in public.

3. Harty made this public, Whether this was right or wrong it's not our decision to decide it's Dicks as it was his conversation that was revealed.

That is all

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here