Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Scotland

Scottish independence - what to do?

• Ignore them ( they’re low down the priority list)

Votes: 33 13.3%
  • Do everything possible to keep them in the Union

Votes: 38 15.3%
  • Bye, bye - the EU can subsidise you

Votes: 70 28.2%
  • They deserve another referendum

Votes: 66 26.6%
  • They deserve another referendum if England, Wales and N Ireland can vote on it too

Votes: 29 11.7%
  • Gordon Greer should be Scottish PM with Liam Bridcutt as deputy - fandabidosy!

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm conflicted on this issue. A patriotic unionist Scot is the same to me as a proud Englishman. I love Scotland, to me the Highlands are among the most beautiful places on Earth. I love our shared and bloody history and the wonderful things that we have accomplished as a United Kingdom. Then, just five seconds of watching that poisonous dwarf from the north and I'm screaming: "Well **** off then!". As much as I enjoy the jaw dropping scenery of both Scotland and Wales, and I've always found the people warm and friendly too, if the majority of either wishes to leave, it's fine by me......... I think.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Nope, not letting you get away with that one.:wink:

Khyber.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I would be more than happy for them to weigh down the EU,and have the same movement rules that apply to citizens of the Republic for work and travel,so that the normal Scots don't suffer too much.Perhaps every Christmas we could send them a container load of Mars Bars to deep-fry (Foreign Aid budget).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
NI now has more Nationalist MPs than Unionist and more Nationalist MLAs than Unionist - the MLAs are elected using the very equal election system that the UK has encouraged former colonies to do but won't use for Westminster. And it has a legal structure in place for a referendum already.

I would not be surprised if NI leaves before Scotland gets another go. And I'm not looking forward to the drain on my tax bill!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
NI now has more Nationalist MPs than Unionist and more Nationalist MLAs than Unionist - the MLAs are elected using the very equal election system that the UK has encouraged former colonies to do but won't use for Westminster. And it has a legal structure in place for a referendum already.

I would not be surprised if NI leaves before Scotland gets another go. And I'm not looking forward to the drain on my tax bill!

or the civil unrest

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would be more than happy for them to weigh down the EU,and have the same movement rules that apply to citizens.

This be the major problem, Europe has free movement yes, and if Scotland joined alone, then how do we or they enforce/stop people gaining entry to England or dare I say it people wishing to flee to Europe (Scotland)

Check points for immigration would have to be built and enforced and probably some form of wall surely.....

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
If I was Scottish I would want to put as much distance between myself and our toxic country as possible. I have a personal interest in this though; a Grandmother born in the Highlands could be my only route to a passport for the mainland.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
or the civil unrest

I'm expecting that to re-start (or re-intensify more accurately) well before then. The twin customs setup is going to create an obvious sense of isolation from GB when it starts (as soon as Jan '21)

The traditional Unionist loyalty in NI is to Scotland not England which makes everything very much more complicated if Scotland also leaves the UK. There will be some level of Unionists from both moving to England to 'keep the Queen' etc etc but probably less from NI.

Dutch

Aug 16, 2012
There was a referendum 5 short years ago. A once in a generation referendum. Parliament won't be up for another anytime soon and especially not before leaving the EU. No matter how much she screeches.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
....unfortunately it’s probably going to happen but NI may go first, then England can go and become the 51st/53rd state (having the same rights as Guam and Puerto Rico) and became a vassal state....

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The real reason so many Jocks want to Leave

Buckfast supplies could be hit by Brexit, it has been revealed.

In the latest Brexit scare it has been claimed the tonic wine could be impacted by Brexit as a result of a shortage of a key ingredient - the ‘toenails’.

For many Buckfast enthusiasts the sediment found at the bottom of the distinctive green bottles is the most ‘satisfying’ - or grimace inducing - part of the ‘Buckfast experience’.

However, with the toenails specially imported from the Burgundy region of France the UK’s exit from the EU could mean supplies are cut off.

According to our sources at Buckfast Abbey, they only have a week’s supply of the toenails on hand - or should we say at foot.

Once those run out the Benedictine Monks may be reduced to using emergency supplies - but it’ll be a couple of weeks before their own nails are long enough for a trim.

A Buckfast shortage could have a profound impact on a number of businesses - not least the off-licence trade.

However, local solicitors are also bracing themselves for a resultant downturn in trade, while police social media gurus are concerned the shortage could mean a shortage of tall tales to regale their many followers with.

The court service also plans to use the shortage to get rid of a backlog of other cases.

Local builders are also concerned a shortage of ‘wreck the house juice’ could impact their businesses.

A spokesperson for a key supplier of Buckfast. Ms April Loof said: “The toenails Buckfast Abbey imports are from a very specific part of the Burgundy region with the grape crushers there supplying an extra bite for Buckfast.

“The flavour imparted by Burgundy infused toenails is an essential element but they need to be brought in fresh. The brothers at the Abbey are willing to step in to supply their own clippings but they are very traditional and wear sandals - which would add a little too much grittiness to the wine.”

https://www.lurganmail.co.uk/news/brexit-could-hit-buckfast-supplies-1-8870571

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its a shame that a united country that helped to win 2 world wars and created the largest Empire in world history is broken up, but times have changed and you have the to respect the views of Scotland which has a population less than Yorkshire.
I am still of the view that we are stronger together though.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Its a shame that a united country that helped to win 2 world wars and created the largest Empire in world history is broken up, but times have changed and you have the to respect the views of Scotland which has a population less than Yorkshire.

I still believe the Scots would vote for the union,it was only 5 years ago 55 per cent in favour,that would be some shift the other way

the Scots might be crazy,but they're not stupid

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Reading some of the comments in this thread it is clear why many Scots want to be free of the condescending, patronising, controlling mentality exhibited by so many English people.

I don't buy the 'once in a generation' view on the frequency of independence referendums. Brexit is a gamechanger and it is clear the Scots want to remain, they back the SNP as a governing party and they've rejected English Toryism for decades with only 1 Tory MP out of 59 in Scotland. If we are to listen to 'the will of the people' over Brexit then we should do so over IndyRef2.

Scotland will be accorded respect as an independent nation in the EU that it is not accorded in the UK. 5 years ago I was pleased they voted to stay in the Union but now I hope they get their IndyRef2 and I hope this time they have the guts to vote for independence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why? Not for a second would anyone consider referendums for Yorkshire every few years.

Quite agree. And they'd be likely to be huge swathes of Scotland that would be bloody angry about leaving the UK. In 2014 some areas - the Orkneys and Shetlands and the Borders - had virtually a two thirds majority to remain in the UK. It was only really Glasgow and some of the surrounding areas that were in favour of independence - I know that means a large proportion of the Scottish population, but would the urban elite of Glasgow dictating to much of the rest of Scotland be a good idea? After all, for a long while we've had the urban elite of London ruling the roost in England for years - that ended well on Thursday, didn't it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here