Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland vs England

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
…. or, France, Belgium and Italy have a bucketloads of players we can only dream of.

They also have managers that have won things at the top level as players or managers or both, spot the difference with the England manager

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My take. It is for sure a disappointing result. But we haven’t played well in 2 games yet have 4 points and should qualify.

Teams that win these things are often slow burners. This team have got several gears to go to, and we haven’t even seen Sancho yet.

Good point - think Southgate is a lucky manager, in that respect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Terrible, unambitious, risk averse performance. However, a draw between us and the Czechs in the final game puts both of us through in first and second place. Neither of us has a particular motivation to win the game. A draw would mean that we would be second and would avoid the runners up from Group F. That dull performance and negative approach has actually put us in the best position to progress in the easier side of the first knockout stage. I'd surely be over-estimating Southgate to imagine that this was his aim, but, following Croatia's equaliser, the draw was probably the best result for us.

Reminds me of the last World Cup, got to the semi finals then punk:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Impressive stats, how many of those goals were against top teams? I know that a VERY small percentage were against decent teams in meaningful matches for England

You can only score against who you are playing against.

He's scored against Dortmund, Juventus, Barcelona and Bayern in Europe. He seems to score against most opponents. Not sure there is an EPL team he hasn't scored against.

And that's playing for a team that is increasingly average.

He's even scored against Brighton.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Terrible, unambitious, risk averse performance. However, a draw between us and the Czechs in the final game puts both of us through in first and second place. Neither of us has a particular motivation to win the game. A draw would mean that we would be second and would avoid the runners up from Group F. That dull performance and negative approach has actually put us in the best position to progress in the easier side of the first knockout stage. I'd surely be over-estimating Southgate to imagine that this was his aim, but, following Croatia's equaliser, the draw was probably the best result for us.

Yes, a 'fall back' advantage but I'd rather us on a run and taking the big nobs on toe to toe.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Trying, desperately trying it's probably best said, to put a positive spin on it...

Big derby game. All the pressure on us not to lose.

All we really have to do in fact is not lose to pretty much see us out of the group.

You don't win tournaments in group games.

One game at a time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can only score against who you are playing against.

He's scored against Dortmund, Juventus, Barcelona and Bayern in Europe. He seems to score against most opponents. Not sure there is an EPL team he hasn't scored against.

And that's playing for a team that is increasingly average.

He's even scored against Brighton.

Fair enough, maybe it’s unfair of me to think he’s close to useless against decent teams in International tournaments :shrug:

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Disgusting performance. If you cant get up for Scotland at Wembley hand your caps back. Slow, no passion, no tactics, they should be ashamed as players.

BUT not as much as the fraud in charge. Done sweet FA as a manager apart from blowing those in the FA! How you can keep your job after falling into a WC semi and performing to badly then turn quality players into league 2 cannon fodder is beyond me. Mind you he is only paid several million a year best bump it up to motivate him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Disappointed by Southgate in that interview.
Blaming it on youngsters not being used to the occasion when it was his desicions that ****ed things up.
Very poor,and looked like a man under pressure.

As a person Southgate speaks well and seems a decent enough fella, I honestly have always felt he's not up to the job tactically. A failed Boro manager, pretty unspectacular in the U21's and gets the job as a compliant FA yes man.

On merit or on CV he'd be nowhere near the England managers job, we have a talented bunch of players who are not playing as a team and the tactics and substitutions are all over the place.

That's down to Southgate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They also have managers that have won things at the top level as players or managers or both, spot the difference with the England manager

Do we have very special players who can and do control internationals, impossible to get the ball off, creating chances in a second or having the pace to destroy anyone in a second?

No way.

The Italians have the brilliant Immobile, we have the immobile. Kante, Mbappe, Immobile and De Bruyne are light years ahead of our best.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fair enough, maybe it’s unfair of me to think he’s close to useless against decent teams in International tournaments :shrug:

He's only played in two. I'm not sure that failing to score against Croatia by a posts width in the semi-final constitutes a damning judgement. He won't score in every game. He still manged six others though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not wrong, but they’re enjoying it. Souness is being utterly gleeful.

... As they face a must win game against Croatia.

He's welcome :lol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Played 7 games, won 3, lost 3 and drew 1 but went through on penalties. Panama, Tunisia and Sweden were the footballing giants that England toppled. We got massively lucky.

Yeah, I know, but maybe Southgate has played another blinder and will get us another comfortable route to the semis again ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here