Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotch Independence

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The UK Government has said that Scotland could end up as a Third World country if they vote for independence.

I don't know if things will improve to that extent, but you never know.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This long standing feud between Scotland and England is al based on historical inaccuracy anyway. Most warring attributed to the English was actually between Scottish Highlanders and Scottish Lowlanders with a few English mercenaries thrown in for good measure. Many Scots fought for the English as mercenaries and the rule of Scotland by the English was in no small way orchestrated by Scottish landowners. Even their so called National hero, William Wallace was striking deals with the English detrimental to the Scots. He was in fact from a wealthy Scottish aristocracy and in cahoots with the English for years. In short, Scotland was sold down the river by the Scots. The English were certainly not kind to the Scots but not as black and white as the people of Scotland believe.
I don't believe a separation of the Union would be to anyone's benefit. Except perhaps the current government who be jettisoning a swathe of labour supporters.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was watching an old episod eof QI yesterday and it appears that among other things the scotch are famed for inventing, the telephone and television were actually inveneted elsewhere. They did however invent the hypodermic syringe which is interesting.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'm gonna throw in this old gem:
Notts Forest.
There's no such club. Nottingham (or Nott'm) Forest officially refuse to recognise Notts as an acceptable prefix.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was watching an old episod eof QI yesterday and it appears that among other things the scotch are famed for inventing, the telephone and television were actually inveneted elsewhere. They did however invent the hypodermic syringe which is interesting.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Tv invented in good old Sussex by the sea, Hastings. But by a Scotch.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
At first cared, now I don't.

What I do find funny is that the SNP are crying for independence from the UK, but don't mind keeping the currency that's regulated and assured by the bank of England. F-Off

Totally agree about the currency. Surely true independence would mean not having any financial connections.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't really care about the currency. If the Scots want to use it, then fine. As long as we manage monetary policy according to the needs of NI, Wales and England then that's fine. No bailouts etc and if we ever decide we want to put distance between ourselves and Scot currency then we can.

Of course, my ultimate desire is that we all stay united.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its a fair swap, we keep the pound and Scotchland keeps the deep fried Mars Bar.
Haggis is not up for argument though cos I like Haggis (they are tricky to catch but once you get one they are delicious)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here