Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotch Independence

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Trying to be sensible cos we just equalised.i live with a Scottish lass who is not allowed to vote because according to her any jocks living in England Wales or Northern Ireland are not eligible where people like the great Scotsman Sean Connery who lives in the Bahamas can Is that true

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I would respectfully disagree. I believe the Scots do not like the term as applied to themselves.

Wikipedia seems to agree:

Scotch*is an*adjective*meaning "of*Scotland". In Scotland the modern usage in Scotland isScottish*or*Scots, and the word "Scotch" is only applied to specific products, mostly food or drink, such as*Scotch whisky,*Scotch pie,*Scotch broth, and*Scotch eggs. "Scotch" applied to people is widely considered pejorative in Scotland, reflecting old Anglo-Scottish antagonisms, but it is still widely used in England and*Ireland, and is in common use inNorth America.

It's not a question of them liking the term or not. It's what they are. Just as much as we are english (or angles someone else said on here for some strange reason) they are scotch. And I doubt they even know what the term pejorative means.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Trying to be sensible cos we just equalised.i live with a Scottish lass who is not allowed to vote because according to her any jocks living in England Wales or Northern Ireland are not eligible where people like the great Scotsman Sean Connery who lives in the Bahamas can Is that true

Trying to be sensible because we just equalised? Are you a Bayern Munich fan?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's not a question of them liking the term or not. It's what they are. Just as much as we are english (or angles someone else said on here for some strange reason) they are scotch. And I doubt they even know what the term pejorative means.

I suppose if it's a historical thing to call the Scots 'scotch' then I'm all for it. I just grew up with the impression it should be Scots. However, I've never liked the idea that we should change our way of saying something just to suit someone else who happens to be from another county. For example Peking should just remain Peking. After all we don't call Milan Milano or Munich Munchen.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I suppose if it's a historical thing to call the Scots 'scotch' then I'm all for it. I just grew up with the impression it should be Scots. However, I've never liked the idea that we should change our way of saying something just to suit someone else who happens to be from another county. For example Peking should just remain Peking. After all we don't call Milan Milano or Munich Munchen.

Speak for yourself. I call Munich Munchen. (put the umlaut in yourself). I call Cologne Koln. (put the umlaut in that one too yourself) and I call Paris Paris (put the pronounciation in there yourself but I think you know what I mean.) Scotland is Scotland and they are Scotch. The term Scottish was invented by foreigners who didn't understand that they're scotch.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Speak for yourself. I call Munich Munchen. (put the umlaut in yourself). I call Cologne Koln. (put the umlaut in that one too yourself) and I call Paris Paris (put the pronounciation in there yourself but I think you know what I mean.) Scotland is Scotland and they are Scotch. The term Scottish was invented by foreigners who didn't understand that they're scotch.

But why do you call Munich Munchen etc etc unless you are a German. In that case for the sake of consistency you should call all foreign inventions, foods, technologies etc by their original names and not resort to Anglo-Saxon alternatives.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
But why do you call Munich Munchen etc etc unless you are a German. In that case for the sake of consistency you should call all foreign inventions, foods, technologies etc by their original names and not resort to Anglo-Saxon alternatives.

Indeed. But I don't know all these foreign fellas words. I know the german for Munich is Munchen (put the umalut in) but I don't know what other things are in German. I just try to respect them where I can. I think cheese is kase (put the umlaut in) and i'm certain cinema is kino. Not sure consistency is something I necessarily believe is worth following just for the "sake"of either.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Time to scotch this nonsense and nip it in the bud!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Spoke to some fellow scotch tonight and we all agreed that we were happier being scotchish than english. Excuse me hic..

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's a union, why do the members of only one of te two countries get a say? I'd like a vote of my own.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a union, why do the members of only one of te two countries get a say? I'd like a vote of my own.

But would you bother to cast it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here