Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure you’ll find bunking off school in the school curriculum but as someone said earlier “keep pissing in the tent from the outside”

Bunking off no. But encouraged to participate in events like yesterday’s, and school day term time activities certainly.

D

Deleted member 22389

It’s debatable. Some schools the kids are actively encouraged to engage in stuff like yesterday; it’s part of their development and education. And kids are out of school for many things which are sometimes even facilitated by the school. It’s more about quality, as opposed to quantity.

Teachers are actually powerless in stopping them leaving school, but one thing they certainly wouldn't do is tell the kids to leave school and protest for the day. Can you imagine what would happen if one of those kids get injured, that comes down on the school.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How does your daughter make up lost classroom time with a teacher in her own time ?

PS - I'm not doubting her support for a worthwhile cause

She's doing A levels so in her case there's a lot of self study. She's also very aware regarding politics and tbh if she and her mates want to chant about Corbyn, May, Brexit etc then cool. That's up to them.

My son, who's younger, went to the last one and missed some classroom time. But it was minimal, and he's a straight A student.

I totally get what you've said in other posts about your kids and respect why you have a different view. It's incredibly difficult (read heartbreaking/frustrating and a full range of emotions) being a parent trying to balance between letting them get on with it, guiding them or just imposing rules etc.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No I wouldn't actually, because I know and understand the pressure schools and teachers are under to ensure good grades. Kids taking every Friday off helps nobody.

Don’t believe you . One reason I don’t believe you is because you say things like “every Friday” which is a lie.

Having said that, not my kids so not for me to say one way or another.
Good luck to all the kids in their exams etc.

D

Deleted member 22389

Don’t believe you . One reason I don’t believe you is because you say things like “every Friday” which is a lie.

Having said that, not my kids so not for me to say one way or another.
Good luck to all the kids in their exams etc.

Fine if you don't believe me, but I know a lot more about schools than you think. We will leave it at that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fine if you don't believe me, but I know a lot more about schools than you think. We will leave it at that.

I’m sure you do. That isn’t in question. I also have some experience after going out with a teacher for 9 years and having two brothers who are teachers. That wasn’t what the debate was. But anyway, boring.
Have a good weekend.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wealth slows population growth. All wealthy countries regardless of culture religion etc end up with a birth rate of around 2 people per couple, which doesn’t increase population. In fact globally the increase in population is down to increased life expectancy not birth rate. I think the predictions are that the world’s population will level out at around 12 billion.

A very good point, which is missed by many.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
A very good point, which is missed by many.

We are at 7.7 billion now you expect the rest of the world to become affluent and educated enough for population to stop increasing by 12? Good luck with that. In any case I am not sure the world could sustain even that increase. Then we could cure cancer and then...

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Somewhat depends upon the effect it has on the kids education though doesn't it. As an example my eldest son is doing his GCSEs this year ..... I would be down on him like a tonne of bricks if he skipped a day at school thus putting his exam pass at risk.

I support their cause 100% but walking out of school once a month is not the way to go about it. How about all kids have a 5 hour sit in after school ? That would grab some headlines and not disrupt their education. I'm sure the teachers would love having to stay until 8pm on a Friday :wink:
I support their cause, but confess that, at that age, me and most of my mates would have seen it primarily as a great opportunity to bunk off. An after school sit-in or March would be an interesting test of the true support for the cause (pupils and teachers).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So it seems protesters have glued themselves to Corbyn’s house, one of them looks like him [emoji23]
4a8872b7d637f1e875d2e0e9313f874d.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Go on, tell us, all your family are Italian teachers?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So it seems protesters have glued themselves to Corbyn’s house, one of them looks like him [emoji23]
4a8872b7d637f1e875d2e0e9313f874d.jpg

Been gluing themselves to everything today. I imagine glue that is strong enough to glue a person to an object is probably pretty toxic to the environment.
Still, good for them I say.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Couple of points.
How did that big pink yacht on a trailer get to the middle of Oxford Circus, the chemicals that are being used to un-stick glue and remove graffiti cannot be good for the environment, the litter, the ****ing litter that was left in Central Brighton after last months sponsored bunk off, shocking, almost as bad as the Waitrose rally to revoke democracy in Central London.
My high light of the week though, woman on sky news yesterday, “Every time I’ve been skiing over the last ten years the snow has been less and less.”Marvellous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Climate change deniers are in the same category as flat earthers.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone deny that the climate is changing? It's always changed, including long before we got here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My high light of the week though, woman on sky news yesterday, “Every time I’ve been skiing over the last ten years the snow has been less and less.”Marvellous.

She has a point, unlike yourself.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone deny that the climate is changing? It's always changed, including long before we got here.

Man made climate change, accelerated climate change. Whatever name there are plenty of people who would rather ridicule those who wish to limit their impact and spread awareness than change even the smallest detail of their life.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Climate change deniers are in the same category as flat earthers.

Climate change is most certainly happening, it has been happening for millions of years, recently, The last two hundred years it has accelerated slightly, largely due to the industrial revolution, The UK is very, very good with it’s attempts to slow it down, I would have more respect for the smellys disruptions if they were to go to places like China, one of the worst culprits and protest there,that is never go to happen though, largely because Ocado don’t deliver that far probably.
Incidentally, did you know that not a single flat Earther has ever sailed single handedly around the World.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here